Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,548,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
There are plenty of walkable downtowns in the southern metros too. And there is plenty of sprawl in the suburbs of places like buffalo and syracuse.

The point, which you totally missed, was that the whole Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester area(s) are not the mass decaying warzone that the media (and many former residents) make it out to be. When I was thinking about moving here I was given the impression that none of the suburbs were nice which isnt even close to being true.

I wouldn't consider anything Ive seen in the Buffalo area as sprawl, at least not if you are using metro Atlanta, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Austin, etc as the template. Sure the suburbs are walkable as in safe but few have nice downtown areas (like Hamburg, East Aurora, Williamsville, Lancaster, Orchard Park) to give you a reason other than exercise to walk anywhere. Most suburbs in new growth areas are little more than sprawling subdivision bedroom communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,125 times
But you're talking about upstate NY here. NYC still sees more people move in every day.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Fuel mostly costs the same everywhere, except in NY with the massive taxes which are the same Up or Down state.

I must say 800-900 a Month would have to be leaving a window open or something.

Nobody can give you even a ballpark number but my SWAG is between 100 and 400. Modern furnaces are crazy efficient but most of Upstate houses are very old and poor so most likely the furnaces are pretty old also. City-data shows about 50% of the houses in this area being built before 1930 and almost all the rest pre-1980 so its a safe bet zero insulation, bad windows and old furnaces lead to the high costs.

The ugly little suburbs around Syracuse are full of little boxes made of ticky-tacky but you can prolly heat them with a light bulb.

Myself I have 1600 sq/ft with NG heat, great windows and a craptastic furnace and it costs me about 150$ in December/January/February . I will admitt I keep it colder then most people would at 48 during the nite and daytime with 60 during the evenings.
What offsets that in other places it the longer commutes and drive times. So, you might have to fill up a little bit more because of that reason.

As for nice walkable suburbs, check out villages/communities in Upstate NY like Clinton, New Hartford, Lewiston, Youngstown, Williamsville, Lancaster, Hamburg, Kenmore, Pittford, Spencerport, Fairport, Brockport, Webster, Fayetteville, Liverpool, Manlius, Baldwinsville, Port Dickinson, Delmar, Scotia, Horseheads, Whitesboro and the 12 Corners area of Brighton, among some others. That's not counting communities that might be more of a small town community, but close to the center city like a Skaneateles, Altamont, East Aurora and Victor.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What offsets that in other places it the longer commutes and drive times. So, you might have to fill up a little bit more because of that reason.
I see you post that and I am like WTF??

Commute most times means back and forth from work. The time and distance it takes are factors of how far away you live, condition of roads and traffic not which State you live in. Most people here in Oneida work in Syracuse which means Rt 5 or if your lucky the Thuway will drop you somewhere near work.

<sidebar> If NY would unleash the Thuway instead of squeezing every penny out of an already bleeding people this State might just take off. The Thuway actually goes right through Oneida but you have to drive 10 miles to nowhere to get on so most just don't. And what about Utica with one exit in what was the good part 50 years ago but now is good only for buying crack. Way to stay stupid NY!!

But back on point, its 23 miles to Syracuse from Oneida (per a sigh in front of Mcdonalds). Thats 23 miles and at least an hour. On one of the worst roads in the known universe. Bumper to bumper. I will be making that trip in afew minutes myself to get to Sams Club. School buses make it an hour and half easy. So 1 hour to an 1½ drive to go 23 miles it nutz. In any Southern State that might take 20 tops, maybe half hour at rush hour. I've driven through Orlando and Tampa many times during rush hour and its really not that bad even though I hate it. Most times it just get crowded and slows down to 60. Rt 5 stops out right at a light every other mile and in the fast zones you flying if you hit 30. And with the condition of NY roads I'm not sure I even want go over 30.

For years my Mother lived in North Syracuse and every time I went to that craphole I was appalled at how so few people moving such short distances could clog things up so bad. Same thing with my Uncles place in Liverpool.

<another sidebar sor the bored> two years ago I had to go to Zephyrhills Fl in late fall. I had not been in many years and I just fell in love but was warned that traffic was getting to be a problem in the Winter. So I went back last February and holy crap was it packed. I went back again last Summer and lo and behold they was fixing, widening and building new roads. Contrast that with the useless Rt 5. Rt 5 is a road that prolly 75% of Upstate NYers live within 25 miles of. Yet it is just barely better then a deer path with oil and stone. My gawd when I was born in the 60's I drove home (most likely on my Mothers lap) on that cattle trail and now with many more cars traveling longer distances its still the same cow path. We never fix anything. We just let everything fall apart and go if "you don't like it leave" BS and let things fall even farther apart. Thank god 99.99% of people will never see Upstate NY cause everyone knows we are the highest taxed people to ever walk the Earth but on some level they must think we have good roads and other services instead of the cow paths we do have. Christ they would think we are retarded.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 PM

707 posts, read 1,468,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I see you post that and I am like WTF??

Commute most times means back and forth from work. The time and distance it takes are factors of how far away you live, condition of roads and traffic not which State you live in. Most people here in Oneida work in Syracuse which means Rt 5 or if your lucky the Thuway will drop you somewhere near work.

<sidebar> If NY would unleash the Thuway instead of squeezing every penny out of an already bleeding people this State might just take off. The Thuway actually goes right through Oneida but you have to drive 10 miles to nowhere to get on so most just don't. And what about Utica with one exit in what was the good part 50 years ago but now is good only for buying crack. Way to stay stupid NY!!

But back on point, its 23 miles to Syracuse from Oneida (per a sigh in front of Mcdonalds). Thats 23 miles and at least an hour. On one of the worst roads in the known universe. Bumper to bumper. I will be making that trip in afew minutes myself to get to Sams Club. School buses make it an hour and half easy. So 1 hour to an 1½ drive to go 23 miles it nutz. In any Southern State that might take 20 tops, maybe half hour at rush hour. I've driven through Orlando and Tampa many times during rush hour and its really not that bad even though I hate it. Most times it just get crowded and slows down to 60. Rt 5 stops out right at a light every other mile and in the fast zones you flying if you hit 30. And with the condition of NY roads I'm not sure I even want go over 30.

For years my Mother lived in North Syracuse and every time I went to that craphole I was appalled at how so few people moving such short distances could clog things up so bad. Same thing with my Uncles place in Liverpool.

<another sidebar sor the bored> two years ago I had to go to Zephyrhills Fl in late fall. I had not been in many years and I just fell in love but was warned that traffic was getting to be a problem in the Winter. So I went back last February and holy crap was it packed. I went back again last Summer and lo and behold they was fixing, widening and building new roads. Contrast that with the useless Rt 5. Rt 5 is a road that prolly 75% of Upstate NYers live within 25 miles of. Yet it is just barely better then a deer path with oil and stone. My gawd when I was born in the 60's I drove home (most likely on my Mothers lap) on that cattle trail and now with many more cars traveling longer distances its still the same cow path. We never fix anything. We just let everything fall apart and go if "you don't like it leave" BS and let things fall even farther apart. Thank god 99.99% of people will never see Upstate NY cause everyone knows we are the highest taxed people to ever walk the Earth but on some level they must think we have good roads and other services instead of the cow paths we do have. Christ they would think we are retarded.

Your post is one huge mess.

It used to take me two hours to get from my house to my school in rush hour in tampa when its supposed to only take 30 minutes..

Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Your post is one huge mess.

It used to take me two hours to get from my house to my school in rush hour in tampa when its supposed to only take 30 minutes..
Also, many people in Oneida work in the immediate area or the adjacent Utica-Rome area too. I doubt that the traffic gets that bad in that immediate area or in the Utica-Rome area.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, many people in Oneida work in the immediate area or the adjacent Utica-Rome area too. I doubt that the traffic gets that bad in that immediate area or in the Utica-Rome area.
I don't expect you to care about Oneida, nobody that lives here does either, but on some level you must know that most work in Syracuse. Of the ones that work I'm sure you watched all the reports by Jim Kenyon last year about Oneida huge meth problem.

Some work in Utica also of coarse but thats much smaller. Solid line of cars to the 'Cuse everyday morning and nite.

Work within Oneida?? Thats a funny one I will give you that.

Today I went from the Thuway to Sams Club then through Downtown to the mall. Tooled around some, does Syracuse city proper have any snowplows?? The side streets on Tipp Hill were barely one lane and if bare road showed sometimes everyone was surprised because the yellow lines may only leave maybe 2 feet of "your" lane. I understand shrinking tax base so its all kewl I'm just used to the much better (and smaller) job Oneida DPW does.

The mall just made me sad, I have not been in years. Borders was my favorite and they are leaving. Cold Stone Creamery was real good and I could spend a million (billion??) in Williams Sonoma. Seemed awful slow for a Friday and most were young kids and they didn't seem to be spending.

The decay in Syracuse is very bad. I kinda would have said it was better then Utica but I'm not so sure. It seemed a stupid high percentage has been completely abandoned.

I wonder if maybe we that are trapped in NY need to maybe start thinking on a smaller level. Utica and Syracuse and the unending sprawl that connect them is just to big an area for whats left. Utica is smaller so I'd pick that. People could just move into an area and force the scum out, they could then move to Syracuse were they would feel more comfortable anyway. Then working people could set about rebuilding a city and if it was kept small it might just work.

But we won't. We will keep having sprawl based around rotten cores.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM

My commute in Austin took me 45 minutes - 1 hour ........... for 12 miles! I now drive from Hamburg to Kenmore or Amherst in under 1/2 an hour ......... maybe 45 minutes if its snowing.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,350,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
My commute in Austin took me 45 minutes - 1 hour ........... for 12 miles! I now drive from Hamburg to Kenmore or Amherst in under 1/2 an hour ......... maybe 45 minutes if its snowing.
Quote:
Austin has a population of 786,386 (2009 U.S. Census estimate).[2] The city is the cultural and economic center of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos metropolitan area, with a population of over 1.7 million (2009 U.S. Census estimate)
Quote:
Amherst is a town in Erie County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 116,510
Quote:
Hamburg is a town in Erie County, New York, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 56,259.
The Town of Hamburg is on the western border of the county and is south of Buffalo, New York.
Quote:
Buffalo itself has a population of 270,919 (July 1, 2009 Estimate)
Btw, do a poll, and I guarantee you Austin beats out Amherst or Hamburg 100% of the time. There's more to a city than just commute time.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Btw, do a poll, and I guarantee you Austin beats out Amherst or Hamburg 100% of the time. There's more to a city than just commute time.

Austin is a very nice city (though its growth has taken away from what it once was). Love the city, hate the heat & lack of snow.

BTW, when you are driving from Hamburg to Amherst you are basically driving through the entire Buffalo metro area, not just the 50K in Hamburg like your ill informed post tries to make it out to be. My commute in Austin was from the Wells Branch (northeast) part of the city to just beyond the eastern edge of the metro area, not even close to the worst Austin has to offer for traffic congestion. Austin's north south highways are basically parking lots from 6am-9am & 4pm-7pm. And just for the record I never said Buffalo was better than Austin because of the lack of traffic I was commenting on a previous post that was complaining about traffic in Upstate NY. Now please go away & get a clue before you come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York