Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

93,946 posts, read 124,759,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So for the sake of "we always did it this way" residents have to pay for the redundent layers? Americans are always yelling that goverment is too big and should be cut back, why not at the local level?
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the County SD set up for many reasons too. I just think we also have to be realistic about why things still the way they are and how some people might not go for it. I think that Rockland County can get away with it due to it's smaller size, but I wonder about counties like mine where there is a city center and suburbs. I always thought that a regional county setup might work in that case. Meaning, that adjacent portion of the city combines with the adjacent suburbs to create a school district.

I think cutting administrators would help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM

19,303 posts, read 17,187,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the County SD set up for many reasons too. I just think we also have to be realistic about why things still the way they are and how some people might not go for it. I think that Rockland County can get away with it due to it's smaller size, but I wonder about counties like mine where there is a city center and suburbs. I always thought that a regional county setup might work in that case. Meaning, that adjacent portion of the city combines with the adjacent suburbs to create a school district.

I think cutting administrators would help as well.
Your points are good. I know NY's methods of goverment go back to colonial times, change does not come easily. In reading posting on some of the NY boards it's like little fiefdoms each fighting to maintain their autonimy and it gets quite verbally cut throat.

I used Rockland as an example because I am quite familiar with it, it seems most of Long Island could be merged into several larger districts but it would be WWIII.

Unlike NY our cities (like Richmond) are not part of any adjoining county, thats a good thing because the city is a textbook example of poor goverment. They do complain about the affluent counties around her, tough. They pay more property tax than I do and it's not my fault that their leaders can't clean house and manage what they have.

We have areas in the county that have a lower income demographic base but the facilities/teachers are just as good as the most affluent areas..

Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Your points are good. I know NY's methods of goverment go back to colonial times, change does not come easily. In reading posting on some of the NY boards it's like little fiefdoms each fighting to maintain their autonimy and it gets quite verbally cut throat.

I used Rockland as an example because I am quite familiar with it, it seems most of Long Island could be merged into several larger districts but it would be WWIII.

Unlike NY our cities (like Richmond) are not part of any adjoining county, thats a good thing because the city is a textbook example of poor goverment. They do complain about the affluent counties around her, tough. They pay more property tax than I do and it's not my fault that their leaders can't clean house and manage what they have.

We have areas in the county that have a lower income demographic base but the facilities/teachers are just as good as the most affluent areas..
I thought about that too. my brother lives in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area. So, I'm pretty familiar with VA. He lives in VA Beach and says the cities in that area can vary.

Like you mentioned, there are some suburbs that are more working class that tend to be closer to the city center, but the school districts they are generally in are usually at least above average.

It is interesting that the cities in VA pay more in taxes. You would think it would be the other way around, as taxes can vary within a town up here. School district plays a part in that too. So, you can find suburbs where you can pay less in taxes that the city it is next to. Some that come to mind are Salina near Syracuse and Henrietta near Rochester.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:

It is interesting that the cities in VA pay more in taxes. You would think it would be the other way around, as taxes can vary within a town up here. School district plays a part in that too. So, you can find suburbs where you can pay less in taxes that the city it is next to. Some that come to mind are Salina near Syracuse and Henrietta near Rochester.
The cities you mentioned in Hampton Roads are what we call city county's. They came about starting on the 60's with the resort city of Virginia Beach merging with Princess Anne County, from there they all merged to prevent Norfolk & Portsmouth the two strongest from annexing them. And of course throw in some back room dirty politics...

Cities like Richmond are similar to Albany, their industry is mostly gone. Both experienced "white flight" during the 60's to the burbs, and if they weren't the state capital they would have disapeared years ago. Although Richmond tried to "annex" people back into the city limits they just moved again, the city can no longer annex any county lands it borders. To sum it up they have an old infastructure, corrupt leadership, a reduced tax base so it costs more to live their. It would be safe to say they are trying to redefine themselves.

The countys have no incorporated towns we are incorporated as a County Goverment.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,891,866 times
It also has to do with the level of control that local communities want to have over their districts. Although NY schools follow the same standards, there are many subtle differences between districts. Garden City, for example, is known for its top sports programs while Chappaqua is known for its "inclusive" approach to mixing students of different abilities in the same class. Then there are places where residents want to make sure that they keep certain people out of their schools so you don't have a case similar to NC where students in richer neighborhoods are force enrolled in schools located in poorer neighborhoods. It costs a lot of money though, I agree.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It also has to do with the level of control that local communities want to have over their districts. Although NY schools follow the same standards, there are many subtle differences between districts. Garden City, for example, is known for its top sports programs while Chappaqua is known for its "inclusive" approach to mixing students of different abilities in the same class. Then there are places where residents want to make sure that they keep certain people out of their schools so you don't have a case similar to NC where students in richer neighborhoods are force enrolled in schools located in poorer neighborhoods. It costs a lot of money though, I agree.
Good examples of what I was getting at. Some, if not all of these things can still happen in a countywide or larger school district, but I think the administrative level decreases with a bigger school district.

I wonder what happens with NYC in terms of schools, as the performance of NY State schools is skewed due to the NYC public schools making up about 40-45% of the state's students and urban schools when looking at general numbers are struggling regardless of region. That's why when the media and government stated that the state's performance was supposedly ranked 34th overall, it has to be put into proper perspective. Ironically, some of the state's best high schools are urban HS's like Buffalo's City Honors and DaVinci, as well as NYC's Styvesant, Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Ironically, some of the state's best high schools are urban HS's like Buffalo's City Honors and DaVinci, as well as NYC's Styvesant, Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science.
I try to avoid looking at "specialty schools" when reading all the lists. When the school can pick the top 1% to enroll it really doesn't give an accurate reflection of a district. It is good that these schools are available but they should be removed when "these lists" come out, unless the whole district attends....

Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I try to avoid looking at "specialty schools" when reading all the lists. When the school can pick the top 1% to enroll it really doesn't give an accurate reflection of a district. It is good that these schools are available but they should be removed when "these lists" come out, unless the whole district attends....
You have to take a test to attend those schools. Some might require a portfolio or something similar.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,461,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
I would leave tomorrow if I could.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I would leave tomorrow if I could.
To where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York