Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM

116 posts, read 353,832 times

Advertisements

rlrl - full sized cats.. normal size rats are bigger than newborn kittens.
and as for that guy - unless he's like 3 feet tall, that rat is way bigger than a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,598 times
Since rats have taken over this thread as well , I will tell you where I have seen tons of them ... 3 places come to mind as being above and beyond ... one place is at Jamaica-Parsons on the J/E lines in the back where trains are laid up is bad ... another spot is on the north end of the northbound platform at 49th st in Manhattan on the N/Q/R lines ... there is a huge rats nest just beyond the end of the station ... and I have noticed lately working the A line one night a week that the northbound platform at Nostrand avenue is loaded with them. As for stations another really crappy station that comes to mind is Broadway on the G.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
Since rats have taken over this thread as well , I will tell you where I have seen tons of them ... 3 places come to mind as being above and beyond ... one place is at Jamaica-Parsons on the J/E lines in the back where trains are laid up is bad ... another spot is on the north end of the northbound platform at 49th st in Manhattan on the N/Q/R lines ... there is a huge rats nest just beyond the end of the station ... and I have noticed lately working the A line one night a week that the northbound platform at Nostrand avenue is loaded with them. As for stations another really crappy station that comes to mind is Broadway on the G.
the end of the northbound station at nostrand avenue, especially in the winter. one time one almost got on the train....

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
the end of the northbound station at nostrand avenue, especially in the winter. one time one almost got on the train....
It wanted to visit its cousins at the next stop.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post

As much as I love visiting the City the main reasons I could never live there are the mice, rats and roaches. I've been to the cleanest and most posh apartments and have seen a cockroach crawl on the wall and a mouse run across the sofa. The hosts have rarely thought anything of it and one host made a joke about a roach crawling up the wall. The sight of these pest have made me leave the party early. I doubt if I could ever get used to them.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
Default great for our tourists

to know there is a big rat's nest underneath Duffy Square!!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM

170 posts, read 826,519 times
I saw the most disgusting rat running AT me as I was crossing through Tompkins Square Park one night. It was DEFINITELY at least the same size as the cats I have at home, if not bigger. And it ran at me from out of the bushes! I actually had to run out of the park to get away from it. Uggghhh.... Yet another reason not to wander around in that park after dark!

Regarding subway stations, I have to agree with previous posters that the LOOOOONG tunnel at the 191st St station on the 1 is about the most depressing thing on earth. Apart from all the weirdos lurking in it, walking down that tunnel hearing the echo of your footsteps in the dim green light... it always makes me feel like I'm headed to the gas chambers.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,724 times
Myrtle Willoughby stop on the G train is so messed up, am I the only one that thinks this? It looks like there's been fires in there, and who knows what else in those dark sealed off rooms you can see in the station.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
awww man liberty, van siclen and shepherd on the A/C are a no-no late at night....even euclid ave, its a little safer but not by much.
It's funny (and I know I'm insanely bumping by posting this), but I trekked over to the Rockaways today. Never really paid attention on previous trips, but speeding past those stops creeped me out for some reason. Maybe it's the tilework or something, but you can tell the quality of the stops, or at least the ambiance, rapidly deteriorates after Broadway Junction. Like you've said, combining it with the fact that it's East New York is quite creepy. And this was during the daytime. It seemed like there were maybe one or two people on the platform at most; that's unnerving enough in nice areas at 2am, let alone ENY.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,288 times
I avoid the 116th B/C station at night. I've had guys hassle me for my number while I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and one drugged-up guy threatened to cut me if I didn't give him my (pretty clearly cheap) phone. It's often very empty, too, which gets really freaky if one person decides they want to talk to you at midnight. I always walk up to the 125th station; at least there are people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City