Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 AM

243 posts, read 1,338,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Funny you should say that. When I was a conductor, the tourists were the passengers I looked forward to. (They're every good thing on the trains that New Yorkers aren't).

As to the yuppies--you hit the nail on the head with that one. My last job as a conductor before taking the promotion to tower operator was on the B line. And the part of the run I hated most was along Central Park West. Those people had a sense of entitlement you could cut with a knife. I always asked myself why something couldn't happen and my train be turned back to The Bronx--I was dealing with real people up there on the Concourse!

Ha Ha ... it's funny YOU should say that because as a motorman I completely agree! I can always tell the tourists because they are the only people smiling when they see a train , and they actually make eye contact in a friendly way. They think it's cool to ride on the subway where most everyone else aboard would probably prefer to have a wisdom tooth extracted without novacaine before they would want to ride the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 AM

483 posts, read 874,280 times
During recent visit to Williamsburg, G line was scary due timing between trains being unpredictable and short amount of cars. This line feels like shuttle ride between Queens and Brooklyn with no conductor.

Tie in scariest station goes to 34th Street (B/D/F/M) and Bedford-Nostrand Avenue (G). Both stations are ALWAYS poorly lit, are havens for smelly panhandlers, and feel humid as swamps because of little/no ventilation. Throw in fact both got rats on steroids crawling tracks to keep you company while waiting for arriving trains.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,166,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
During recent visit to Williamsburg, G line was scary due timing between trains being unpredictable and short amount of cars. This line feels like shuttle ride between Queens and Brooklyn with no conductor.

Tie in scariest station goes to 34th Street (B/D/F/M) and Bedford-Nostrand Avenue (G). Both stations are ALWAYS poorly lit, are havens for smelly panhandlers, and feel humid as swamps because of little/no ventilation. Throw in fact both got rats on steroids crawling tracks to keep you company while waiting for arriving trains.
Rats on steriods you havent seen nothing yet. 3 avenue 138 street in the Bronx rats in that subway are massive they are the size of cats and roll like a pack of wolves. These Rats known to hope on the train and ride with passengers. I remember when one rat chased a hipster up and down the platform. Haha welcome to the Bronx!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 AM

988 posts, read 3,266,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Rats on steriods you havent seen nothing yet. 3 avenue 138 street in the Bronx rats in that subway are massive they are the size of cats and roll like a pack of wolves. These Rats known to hope on the train and ride with passengers. I remember when one rat chased a hipster up and down the platform. Haha welcome to the Bronx!
I would pay to see a rat chase a Hipster, haha. Actually, I saw a rat walking backwards dragging something on the G line at the Metropolitan station last Wednesday. It was bizarre.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
eek

3,568 posts, read 7,766,173 times
+2 on paying to watch a hipster get chased by a rat. you shoulda caught that on the iphone and put it on youtube.

anyway, to answer the OP, i stay away from the J and L lines.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:50 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,811,569 times
Default can anyone post a picture

of a cat-sized rat? always curious to see what they look like

Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 PM

116 posts, read 355,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
of a cat-sized rat? always curious to see what they look like
Haven't seen one in years, but when I did see them it was usually in the parks and not the subway (the subway is home, more often, to the regular sized rats).

I used to see them in the playground areas of Washington Square Park at night (in the 80s) and I saw a pack of roughly 10 of them in the early 90s, crossing East 16th around 2nd ave, street to go into the park thats there. It was daunting to say the least. I wonder if the city drove most of em out, they used to be around a lot more, now people think they're an urban legend but I assure you they are real, or at least used to be.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,951,136 times
The 33rd-JSQ PATH line is scary in the way it jerks and bucks sudden........it feels like a roller coaster

Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Default are those subway rats just

the size of newborn kittens, or um, the size of a mature cat?

because i could see where they might be on par with a kitten but a cat, OMG!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Default that guy is pretty brave!!

Giant rat caught in China - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City