Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 06:02 PM

65 posts, read 56,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebvndy View Post
Hey, btw! How is the neighborhood? Is it pretty safe? and good restaurants? Is it always pretty busy during the day?

It's a great neighborhood, I've lived in Forest Hills for well over 20 years. It's pretty safe for families, couple of parks around the area. The apartment building in which you're moving to is at a busy intersection with a couple of bus routes around that area, school across the street, foot traffic is pretty laid back. Queens Center Mall is not too far off, you can hop on the bus and be there in about 10 minutes, though I always prefer to walk to the mall. The shopping strip on 108th is busy except on Saturdays, it has a couple of grocery stores, a supermarket, pharmacies, etc

As far as restaurants, it's pretty scarce around there unless you like Kosher food or willing to cross Horace Harding for some Spanish food. On 108th, be sure to try out some pizza from D'Angelos, a new burger spot that has pretty decent burgers. Your best bet is to go around 71st where there are pretty good restaurants.

I'm sure you'll love it. Welcome to the neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 06:13 PM

290 posts, read 320,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIDP View Post
It's a great neighborhood, I've lived in Forest Hills for well over 20 years. It's pretty safe for families, couple of parks around the area. The apartment building in which you're moving to is at a busy intersection with a couple of bus routes around that area, school across the street, foot traffic is pretty laid back. Queens Center Mall is not too far off, you can hop on the bus and be there in about 10 minutes, though I always prefer to walk to the mall. The shopping strip on 108th is busy except on Saturdays, it has a couple of grocery stores, a supermarket, pharmacies, etc

As far as restaurants, it's pretty scarce around there unless you like Kosher food or willing to cross Horace Harding for some Spanish food. On 108th, be sure to try out some pizza from D'Angelos, a new burger spot that has pretty decent burgers. Your best bet is to go around 71st where there are pretty good restaurants.

I'm sure you'll love it. Welcome to the neighborhood
Thanks so much for this!! Yes, I lived near 75th Ave near Queens Blvd for 7 years now. So, I’m use to being able to walk across the street and everything is right there and block over is Austin street. So this side of FH is a bit unfamiliar to me but still seems quite pleasant.

Thanks again for the break down! I can’t wait to explore!

Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 AM

182 posts, read 223,020 times
After you submitted your docs, were there updates at all or did it sit as "under review" for a while? I know its a bit of a process from what im seeing in the thread so im going to guess maybe end of may early June for me if I get all the way to the end to get an apartment.
Just wondering what happens next...I submitted my docs this past Tuesday from getting my email for them on monday (4/18)

Old 04-22-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom81 View Post
After you submitted your docs, were there updates at all or did it sit as "under review" for a while? I know its a bit of a process from what im seeing in the thread so im going to guess maybe end of may early June for me if I get all the way to the end to get an apartment.
Just wondering what happens next...I submitted my docs this past Tuesday from getting my email for them on monday (4/18)
For me it just said under review. Now, it says review complete. Your agent will go through your paperwork and reach out for additional docs if needed. The initial review can take up to a month.. hopefully less since the building is now move in ready. They will go back and forth requesting docs. Once they have everything they need the marketing supervisor will going through everything for the first round of approval … then if you everything is good they will send it off to HPD for final review.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:22 PM

182 posts, read 223,020 times
Quote:
For me it just said under review. Now, it says review complete. Your agent will go through your paperwork and reach out for additional docs if needed. The initial review can take up to a month.. hopefully less since the building is now move in ready. They will go back and forth requesting docs. Once they have everything they need the marketing supervisor will going through everything for the first round of approval … then if you everything is good they will send it off to HPD for final review.
Thanks!! Did the final reviews go relatively quick after that initial month wait?

Old 04-22-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom81 View Post
Thanks!! Did the final reviews go relatively quick after that initial month wait?
The supervisor review took like 3 weeks or so and HPD approval took 2 weeks. You’re welcome! Well wishes!!

Old 04-22-2022, 05:08 PM

65 posts, read 56,189 times
Quote:

I had to go through 3 rounds of additional documents requests and now the supervisor is going through the application. It's been a hassle, hopefully no more additional documents will be required.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIDP View Post
I had to go through 3 rounds of additional documents requests and now the supervisor is going through the application. It's been a hassle, hopefully no more additional documents will be required.
Oh we’re going to be neighbors pretty soon! How many bedrooms are you aiming for?

Old 04-22-2022, 06:21 PM

168 posts, read 195,196 times
Hi Everyone, Does anyone know if they are still contacting applicants for unit? I'm still holding out and keeping the faith. Congrats to those who are moving into their new unit.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS6777 View Post
Hi Everyone, Does anyone know if they are still contacting applicants for unit? I'm still holding out and keeping the faith. Congrats to those who are moving into their new unit.
Hey, they very much are. There are 2 buildings they have to fill. I heard that building B won’t be quite ready until close to September. Building C will have its own lottery process later in the year and I heard that building won’t be quite finished until around next February. The only building that is currently move in ready is building A which is the 17 story building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery