Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,700 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just wanted to update everyone.
I went in to sign a 2-yr lease about two weeks ago for the cheapest studio. I move in July. There was the option to sign for 1-yr. all over the lease it says no pets.

Also when I went in the time before that, the lady told me the higher log numbers have preference unless you have a community board preference and people had log numbers in the high thousands. My log number was in the 900s with cb.

Best of luck to anyone who is still waiting for a response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 AM

913 posts, read 2,276,714 times
Thanks for the update.

What month did they first show you all the apartments? I am trying to see how long this whole process took.

Did you have a pet? Did you ask about fish and cats?

Did they ask you for proof that you're moving out of your current apartment?

jhartigan, I'm in the late 1990. Borderline 2000 to give you an idea.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
i'm late to this thread but are they still doing rolling applications or anything?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM

What do you mean rolling applications? They're no longer processing new applications. Only the ones received last year are all now in current tenant selection mode.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 PM

I asked about cats (since initially it seemed like some pets would be allowed) and the lady at the office swears up and down that no one would ever say pets are allowed because it says "no pets" all over the lease.

I was shown two different floorplans when I went in (end of may?) to see the place. They noted my preference and then asked me to bring the additional paperwork (proof of employment, new tax returns, paystubs). When I went in the end of hte week to bring the documents in, I signed the floor plan for the apt I wanted. Received a call to sign a lease less than a week after that. Went in to sign lease the following week.

I didn't need proof that I was moving out.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Your process seems to have been quick and painless. Everyone else seems to be fighting not to choke a b*tch up in that office. I overhead cats and fish are ok. I'm shocked they asked you for all that paper work again when they collected that during the initial apartment showing process after sending you a postcard and asking you to come in.

I'm happy for you. So do you have any pets that you had to give up?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Your process seems to have been quick and painless. Everyone else seems to be fighting not to choke a b*tch up in that office. I overhead cats and fish are ok. I'm shocked they asked you for all that paper work again when they collected that during the initial apartment showing process after sending you a postcard and asking you to come in.

I'm happy for you. So do you have any pets that you had to give up?
It definitely was not quick. I almost gave up hope for it because it took so damn long! And like everyone else said, hwenever I called, no one could give me an answer. All they would say is "we're in the process, we will call you"

I had cats but my family is going to keep them so no need to give them away.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM

It's almost been 2 months since I was shown the units. Everyone who got a postcard showed up that 1st week in May to see them. It was a mad house. A total zoo of a s**t show.

All I got was a rejection letter, but i appealed and they called me a few days ago saying I won my appeal and that I'm literally next in line because my log number is so low. But I gave them all the paystubs and tax return back in May, so not sure why they asked you twice for those things.

If i moved in and got fish 4 months later they never know, so they need 2 cut the nonsense.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:01 PM

483 posts, read 693,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissModular View Post
We were told community board members have a higher preference than us. No idea what that means!
It means the community board member in contention for your apartment whose name is also signed on the floor plan, gets first dibs in thumbs-up or thumbs-down. If they want the apartment they will get it, at which point you might or might not get offered a different apartment depending upon whether or not they have one to offer. (I can say this with some authority because if you don't know the terms this probably means you have a "general" preference; if you had a higher one you'd know it. Which is the same as having "no preference" really, but I guess everybody has to get a trophy these days.)

Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM

MsKitty, That Is Sooooo F**King confusion.

There is 108 empty units. 108 people should be shown the units (let's assume for my example everyone is single). And 108 people's paperwork should get processed and either approved or denied. Not sure what this board preference is or any of the other additional lingo. If out of the 108, one decides to decline the apartment after completing the process than the 109th applicant who hasn't been shown a thing should be called in and follow the same process as everyone else.

I understand there are people who are school teachers, other city employees and people displaced by hurricane sandy that would come first. That i understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery