Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 AM

10 posts, read 16,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I got a call from Liam Brennan last week to see if I was still interested in going through with the lottery. We had chosen to opt out since we did not want to lose the apartment we just signed a lease for (just moved into my new Astoria apartment on Sunday!) Liam emailed me a withdrawal form which I signed and sent back today.

Best of luck to everyone, this is truly a terrible process to go through and I'm glad that we decided to opt out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM

913 posts, read 2,274,295 times
BFAB,

Good to hear from you again. I'm glad you found a place because housing in NYC is ruthless and people can't be lease-less. I wondered about you and whether you'd have a roof over your head or not and to not give up on having a home to wait for this chuckle heads to get their s**t together.

Did he mention you are guaranteed a place if you are still interested or you knew from the call it was a long goose chase?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 28,841 times
BFAB - What size apt were you applying for? 1 or 2 bedroom?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM

74 posts, read 170,857 times
I also got a call yesterday afternoon. They told me that "it's not looking good" for the apartment I signed a floor plan for and asked if I was interested in a 1 bedroom. I said heck no, the 1 bedroom I'm in now has a back yard and is in a great location and I'll only give it up for a 2br/2bath.

JHartigan, sorry to hear your bad news. Keep trying for other lotteries. Hunters Point South applications will open up soon (I drove by recently and saw that the construction is progressing, so there's hope!) and that building offers almost a thousand units for PURCHASE, not just rental, which is a way better option.

Good luck to everyone and if I hear any other news from Q41 I'll let you know.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 16,639 times
q41apartments,

Thanks for your concern! I think it was the right decision and it was a difficult decision but honestly, this MESS of a process was not worth the headache because like you said, $1800 is not the biggest bargain. During my apartment hunt, we looked into a few similar LIC luxury rentals offering amenities, etc. starting $2K/month for 1 bedroom. Finding a home in NYC is indeed ruthless, but there are real gems out there if you have the combo of patience, luck, and time to come across them.
There are many pros to Q41 but given my situation, they were outweighed by the cons.

In the message Liam left, he said if we are still interested, they would need a proof of employment letter, they asked me what my salary is since I started my current job in February '14 (therefore my current salary wasn't reflected on my 2013 taxes. I did give them my last 4 paystubs previously and stated my new salary in writing already) so clearly the whole staff must be drunk or something. It's disconcerting how extremely disorganized the entire thing is and "long goose chase" is an understatement.

I called Liam back and told him we were tied to a lease and were no longer interested in the lottery. He said because it's a city thing, I'd be required to sign a notice and within a few minutes, I received the withdrawal letter in my email.

HereForQ41, we were applying for a 1 bedroom but were open to a 2 bedroom if that was a possibility. What about you?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 AM

I forgot to mention I got a call last night. I was told the building is almost filled and only 1 bedrooms are left. They said because of my low log number that I'd literally be next in line to fill an empty unit. But you can never take what they tell you at face value. They to wanted to know if I wanted to proceed or not.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM

74 posts, read 170,857 times
The 1 bedroom seems like a way better option than the studio. I'd say go for it. Then you can eventually join the rest of us in disappointment city.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Disappointment city, huh? Good phrasing.

The representative on the phone was very moody. You can tell she's having a bad week....or a bad few decades.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM

I'll continue to the next steps.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM

28 posts, read 50,029 times
Q41 you should go for it....whats your log # again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery