Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM

913 posts, read 2,276,802 times

Advertisements

There's stuff in Astoria and Sunnyside that are $1,100.00 a month to $1,600.00. Granted they aren't high rises, but I'm sure many will be gut renovated and the area is already built up with shops as opposed to LIC. Many are just 2 or 3 stops from Manhattan which is the next best thing. By The way, I actually saw a 2 bedroom in LIC a few weeks ago for 1,800.00 in a 4 floor walk up.

Some management companies are such a-holes that they won't let you do month to month and people in the Q41 process need month to month in case they might actually get called. Certain management companies want the tenants to find a replacement if they try to break their lease early or even ask that the tenant pay the remaining months left on their lease. It is such a load of horse s**t!!!!! People in the real estate business need to be slapped and shaken! They always treat people like rubbish because they know everyone needs a roof over their heads.

I Need A Dishwasher,

I thought you got selected and you were moving in after your background check goes through?

Last edited by q41apartments; 06-10-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 PM

When people sign floor plans, do the reps still inform you: This still does not guarantee you an apartment?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,133 times
Hey guys, I signed a lease yesterday. I'm not trying to give anyone any false hope, but the leasing agent told me they have a lot of units left. She said 50%-which sounds high-but she had no reason to lie.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM

28 posts, read 50,075 times
Waltnyc88 congrats! And thanks for the info. What floor did you sign, studio? What was your log #?

When we signed the floor plan they never said that it was guaranteed, but they never said the contrary. They did say that everything was set and going to be submitted to the city for final approval.
What I dont know and am confused about is, if you sign a floor plan.... shouldn't that exact unit be yours until you get approved/rejected? Or do they give that same floor plan to other people as well to sign? I dunno...

Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 AM

I wish people would stop saying floor plan because it's confusing. They should say: I signed with apt#15X or apt#17XX or something along those lines. No need to give out the actual floor and apartment number.

Walter,

Congrats. Please inform us of how long did this whole process take? From you submitting your initial paperwork like paystubs, tax teturn, to the first time to finally signing the lease. Was it 6 months long? Is the lease signing in the same building? Also, how long did you sign the lease for? Are you paying the lower priced units or the higher priced ones?

Any information would be greatly valued.

World Wayfarer, how long has it been since they showed you the actual apartments? How many weeks or months?

Last edited by q41apartments; 06-11-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,133 times
It's for a 1 bedroom on the 13th floor. My log number was 1050.

So mid-March I received a card requesting I come in with all of my financials. I submitted all of my financials late March. After about 5-6 weeks of not hearing back, I decided to go to the office. They told me that they had issues with some of the documents I submitted. Had I not gone in, I probably would not have heard back from them-it doesn't hurt to go there in person to get answers. So at this point it was mid-May. I went in several times over the next couple of weeks to submit more documents ( letter of employment , 2014 Tax return-which I didn't submit originally since my first submission of documents was in March, etc.). I think around June 1st or so I was called in to look at floor plans and I signed one. About a week later I received a call saying that I had been approved and someone would be calling me to sign a lease in about a week. 5 days later I was called to go to the Bronx office to sign the lease.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Walter,

This is very helpful. I'm always shocked when they say there is problems with documentation because everything you gave them the first time is legit, so i have no idea what they mean by that. The foolishness that goes on is ridiculous.

Anyway, congrats!

Are you paying the higher priced unit of 1800.00 for the 1 bedroom? Also, was your current super/management company giving you a hard time to get out of your current lease?

Also, what month do you officially move in?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the input Walter. So you got called quickly after signing the floor plan. Its been around 3 weeks since I signed mine and havent got a call yet. Although my log # is a little higher than yours, but they told me that in two weeks they would call to tell me the results from the city.
I guess I'll have to wait it out. Anyways congrats again and enjoy your new place

Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM

World wayfarer,

Did they mention how many weeks the background check takes or for the city to get back to them?

If his log number 1050, what about all the 950 people before log number 2000? When I went in May for the apartment viewing, they mentioned 50% of the units are still empty. Obvious half of 108 is 54, so wouldn't the 950 people after 1050 and beore log number 2000 already fill up the empty 54 units? And what about people with log numbers in the 3000 range?

I just don't get the method to the madness.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM

They just mentioned the two weeks for the final stage which was the city approval.
I suppose that if they're now by the 1050 and up, everybody else under that got rejected, dropped out, and some got an apartment or, they weren't selected for the lottery.
Remember, this is a lottery process. Not all log numbers will be called and processed. Just those selected from the lottery.
So consider yourself lucky at least that you got the postcard. I don't think that everyone that applied received one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery