Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 04:03 PM

913 posts, read 2,281,918 times

Advertisements

I'll spare you the agony.

The units ate rent stablized. You don't have to keep supplying your tax return every time your lease is up and you renew. When you renew your lease, you'll have the 1 year or 2 year option. It'll only go up 5% max because NYC doesn't ever go above 5% so it's whatever NYC has Instituted that year. If in 2016 the rate is 2% than you'll get a 2% increase. Nobody has time to keep going back and forth with tax returns to adjust your rent. So if you make 88K now and than make 130K when your lease is up, your 1 bedroom will still be $1818.00 plus whatever 2 % is on top of that. They will not raise your rent by $300.00 to accommodate your new awesome salary.

By the way, how did they even process your application any further when you are still underneath the 700 credit score requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I'll spare you the agony.

The units ate rent stablized. You don't have to keep supplying your tax return every time your lease is up and you renew. When you renew your lease, you'll have the 1 year or 2 year option. It'll only go up 5% max because NYC doesn't ever go above 5% so it's whatever NYC has Instituted that year. If in 2016 the rate is 2% than you'll get a 2% increase. Nobody has time to keep going back and forth with tax returns to adjust your rent. So if you make 88K now and than make 130K when your lease is up, your 1 bedroom will still be $1818.00 plus whatever 2 % is on top of that. They will not raise your rent by $300.00 to accommodate your new awesome salary.

By the way, how did they even process your application any further when you are still underneath the 700 credit score requirement?
I did not question them about why they went ahead and are now reconsidering me for a unit when I had first been denied. Seems like they might be having difficulty filling the remaining units. The floor plan I signed up for had been previously signed by 2 others, and the representative said one withdrew their application and another was rejected. I am not entirely sure if I would take the unit if I am approved. I will have to really go through my finances to see if I want to complicate my life by taking on a 1bd. The application for the city asked me about my assets and requested authorization to obtain both my tax information and my income information directly from my employer but there was nowhere to disclose any debt. I have about $19,000 left in student loans that I'm trying to pay off as quickly as possible, but other than that, no other debt. Perhaps the city will take the information available on my credit report to account for such debt, as nowhere on the application did they request such information. We'll see.

q41apartments, were you selected for a unit or are you in the application process for one?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
I spoke to the agent at the Q41 office yesterday and he confirmed that they lowered the credit score requirements only for people of community board 1. They reduced it to 650 and they're calling back candidates now who were rejected last year for not meeting the minimum requirement. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and hoping.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM

They called me a few weeks ago saying that I'm literally next in line because of my low lottery number. They said they're completely out of studios and 2 bedrooms and only have 1 bedrooms left. She asked if I was still interested and I said yes. She said she'd call me in 1 week to make me come in and sign a floor plan.

I think it's been 2 months or so and haven't heard from them since. I don't mind that they take their time because moving in the summer time is such a b****h! The darn heat etc. Plus, moving is never cheap. They told me the buildings almost full and have very few units left. It doesn't bother me either way. Paying more in rent is never any fun. So I'd have to debate hardcore if i want to pay over $1,800.00 in rent for an area that is not developed yet.

I'm surprised people are withdrawing and being rejected. The gym is never going to be ready if they're still there processing paperwork.

Good god GreenKangaroo, they sure are asking you for way too much information. I'm surprised you agreed to their demands. I doubt they care about your school loan, but that other debt you have for all your credit cards is a different story.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
They called me a few weeks ago saying that I'm literally next in line because of my low lottery number. They said they're completely out of studios and 2 bedrooms and only have 1 bedrooms left. She asked if I was still interested and I said yes. She said she'd call me in 1 week to make me come in and sign a floor plan.

I think it's been 2 months or so and haven't heard from them since. I don't mind that they take their time because moving in the summer time is such a b****h! The darn heat etc. Plus, moving is never cheap. They told me the buildings almost full and have very few units left. It doesn't bother me either way. Paying more in rent is never any fun. So I'd have to debate hardcore if i want to pay over $1,800.00 in rent for an area that is not developed yet.

I'm surprised people are withdrawing and being rejected. The gym is never going to be ready if they're still there processing paperwork.

Good god GreenKangaroo, they sure are asking you for way too much information. I'm surprised you agreed to their demands. I doubt they care about your school loan, but that other debt you have for all your credit cards is a different story.
What was your log number? Did you have community board preference? It seems rather strange that they haven't gotten back to you. They called me maybe a month ago to ask if I would consider an apartment despite being rejected initially and just last Wednesday they called and asked me to come check out the floor plans. I signed one yesterday. It seems like HPD requires much more information than the Q41 management company initially requested and due to the scarcity of projects for individuals that don't exactly fall in the "low income" spectrum, it seems understandable that they want to be thorough in selecting candidates that meet all the criteria. Perhaps that's why others have withdrawn their application.

And the only debt I have is student loan debt. Don't have any other debt. My student loan is completely manageable but taking this apartment at $1818/month would make it impossible to pay off my student loan debt ahead of schedule as I intended. I was just curious for the application process if debt was taken into account, not because that actually pertained to me.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 PM

My log number is in the 1990's range.

I guess I have community board preference. I live in Astoria borderline LIC. Sometimes my mail says LIC and sometimes it says Astoria. I haven't heard from them since. They haven't called back for me to sign a floor plan.

It's amazing how much easier it is to get an apartment through section 8 than middle income lottery. The city loves people who don't make a moderate income.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 37,198 times
Hello All, I'm back, I was actually one of the 1st people to post on this forum. Got my letter back in Oct-13 but got a rejection letter in Dec-13 because my credit score was just below 700. I'm a CB on the 3000s. They call me last Wednesday asking if I was still interested, I was told there were 4 2 BR units available and I was showed 2, one on the 13 floor with great views but bad layout and one bathroom and one on the 4th floor with no view but a terrace, 2 bathrooms, 775 sqf and very sunny. I signed the floor plan and the releases and I was told that the city takes a week to complete the review process. I was told that the reason I'm back in is because they need more CB preference people and the credit score is now at 650+ for CB only. I was told the rent would be $2,186 which is $1k more from what I'm paying now but it is an old bldg. near stwy and brdwy and 544 sqf only. We're a family of 4 so we have to move! We also have our doubts as to if it is worth it, what you guys think? The Q41 area is still developing but within 2 yrs it should be surrounded by so many more buildings. I figure, if I pay the parking fee I will be able to go anywhere and still have the convenience of a 20 minute commute.

I will keep you guys posted,

Best of luck to all!

Last edited by dreamhouse123; 07-16-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

You are just 2 mins from Midtown Manhattan on the N or Q train so it's a good thing. It really doesn't get any easier. It might be hard to own a car in that area. Being so close to the bridge, i can see it being a mad zoo.

I understand it's 1K more but that is a choice you have to make and decide. Out of curiosity, did you inquire if cats or fish are ok? The 775 square feet is really not enough for a family of 4 and i didn't even know any of the units even had 2 bathrooms. It's perfect for a couple with no kids. Plus, if the husband ever gets drunk, the wife has a spare bedroom to lock herself in while she calls 911 before the police finally arrived. They won't work so well if the kids are in the spare room.

Also, factor in that the section 8 housing is right across the street. Do you want your kids growing up in that kind of environment where the chances of some drug lord selling them weed is heightened? Write a list of the pros or cons. Is that extra 1K (12K) for the year going to factor into the kids education money or that dream house you wanted to buy in Bayside?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM

I just passed the building complex on my way into Manhattan and noticed the majority of the apartment lights are off. Maybe that's a good sign there's a lot of empty unfilled units left for us pending hopefuls?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 AM

102 posts, read 143,494 times
can anyone who moved in to their apartments or are going to post some pictures for us? thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery