Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 PM

283 posts, read 667,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam21 View Post
so yogesh - how long did it take to build once you got the permit from town? Did your mortgage lender or lawyer recommend someone for home insurance. Or you are shopping on your own? And suggestions on best route? also i hear title insurance can be done either by your lawyer or mortgage. What is the recommendation?
grandslam21:

The builder has to get town permit only once during intial phase of construction. I booked my home on December 03, 2011 and it will be ready for occupation by August 14, about 8 months from signing of contract. Ours was the first on Schenck lane, hence they waited little more for others to book on the same street. Assume 7-8 months for construction.

For survey and title search, we asked our lawyer to get it from builders only. It will be most authentic and cheap because of mass production. Survey is good if you plan to sell your home in future or if any boundary dispute with neighbor. Survey costs $450 and Title cost $250. We did not ask for 4 corner markers (basically 4 big nails which surveyor will drive down at 4 corners of lot to mark it), which costs $500.

My bank suggested their own fire insurance company. The cost of insuance is not much, costs less than $1,000 per yr hence not saving much on comparison shopping. I am going with the current insurance provider of my existing home through FMI-Franklin Mutual Insurance though our local agent,
John McLachlan III
John Morgan McLachlan Agency Inc.
75 E. Main Street
Somerville, NJ 08876

Please note any insuance compnay is good and we had good experience with local agent. Some may go for GEICO or state farm and combine car/home insurance. to save small amount. The advantage of local agent is that they can follow-up with the company during mass disaster and try to settle the case with the company. Otherwise it is difficult to find someone locally to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:13 AM

303 posts, read 920,635 times
How do you feel about the problem school disteritc tin this area.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 PM

44 posts, read 113,587 times
Peter pickle, this has been discussed over 17 pages on this thread. If you read back you can read everyones opinion on this topic.

to yogesh If you plan on installing a fence in the future do u need to get the lot markers?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 AM

283 posts, read 667,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest20 View Post
Peter pickle, this has been discussed over 17 pages on this thread. If you read back you can read everyones opinion on this topic.

to yogesh If you plan on installing a fence in the future do u need to get the lot markers?
Guest20:

No, markers are not essential, but can be helpful, I was told. It helps for any future dispute of boundary with the neighbors. The survey is enough to put up fence. To me, $500 for just putting up 4 nails on the corner is luxury.

They will allow only one type of fence, the black, open cast iron see-through type fence, which can be seen outside the sales office. No other types are permitted.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM

62 posts, read 147,097 times
so looks like the cost of survey and markers cost also change as demand increases.... i am being quoted 500 for survey and 150 per marker... seems ridiculous...after all i should get the marker no matter what, to be able to identify property i purchased.thanks yogesh...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Grand slam when are you closing? Is it close to the estimated date when u signed the contract?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

62 posts, read 147,097 times
still a long way as I entered late and not in rush. I am thinking Jan is more achievable. It does appear they have speed up the process which is good sign and houses are moving fast.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM

60 posts, read 142,579 times
Has anyone paid $1000 for under cabinet
Kitchen lights in Essex model...

Seems very expensive... Plzz share your
Thoughts...Thanks!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM

I don't think under cabinet lighting is worth the $. If you get it, then you would have to also get under cabinet trim moulding which is an added cost. Then it would look unbalanced and funny without also putting cabinet crown also which is additional. Unless you are also spending the money in a level 5 granite slab which you love and it's worth your while, in which case you should definitely meet with the granite manufacturer and choose your slab meticulously, making sure you love every square inch and color variation. I did not like the standard options and chose to upgrade, however I did not get the lighting or moulding. I will install these later on when I put in our island. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM

60 posts, read 142,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest20 View Post
I don't think under cabinet lighting is worth the $. If you get it, then you would have to also get under cabinet trim moulding which is an added cost. Then it would look unbalanced and funny without also putting cabinet crown also which is additional. Unless you are also spending the money in a level 5 granite slab which you love and it's worth your while, in which case you should definitely meet with the granite manufacturer and choose your slab meticulously, making sure you love every square inch and color variation. I did not like the standard options and chose to upgrade, however I did not get the lighting or moulding. I will install these later on when I put in our island. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks Guest20. I have already selected
Standard granite & didn't get moulding.

But, Will it be easy to install under cabinet lights
later... I am not at all handy, & can't cut
Cabinets round shape to install LEDs.

Anyone here knows how many LED, they
Will put in Essex... Contractor didn't
Give much detail yet...he just quoted $1000k
For under cabinet lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey