Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times

Advertisements

Wow-all I can say is when is this going to end? We got hit pretty hard here in Laconia. No one died like that poor little grl in Ashland though -that is so sad.

Where I live, I am the second townhouse in from the road. If you go out my back door and to the left there is the road. It was washed over and like a raging river last night. We watched people chance it and drive through-STUPID!! Our townhouse complex is built on a failry steep grade-thank God! I got no sleep as I was worried that we would get flooded.

The entrance to my complex has rocks and sand and debris from a construction project up the road. On WMUR they are saying many roads right near me are really damaged.

I live right down the street from the Weir's Beach boardwalk- I saw pictrues on the news-part of the boardwalk and train tracks are gone!

We have had a few really bad storms here this summer. We had a few really bad wind and hail storms and had some flooding but nothing like this. Last night was the worst for my area.

I am getting ready to go out and take some pictures-we tried to take some last night but it was so dark that we were unable to.

I hope everyone is ok.

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 AM

I just got back from taking pictures. I think my husband has the cable that hooks in to the computer to load the pictures on the web though so I may not be able to post them until tonight-darn.

The main road that runs parallel to where I live suffered minor damage to the sides of the road in the past few storms that we had. This storm made that damage even worse. There is rock, sand and stone up and down the entire road. My husband called and told me that Rt 11B in Laconia/Gilford is down to one lane because of road damage.

Last edited by nicolem; 08-08-2008 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Nicole - Glad you're okay! We've had terrible downpours off and on since at least a week ago. I heard on the radio that this is "unusual" and I *think* they said we broke a record for rainfall in July/August...looking at the 10-day forecast, we *may* actually see the sun and dry out starting a week from today.

There have been roads washed out in the area, none where we are, thank goodness.

Geesh, record snow, now record rain.....I hope that means we're in for a "boring and average" winter!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
we weren't hit as badly as some people.

the train tracks washing away is a surprise. It happened last year and the year before over in the Spaulding Lake area of Rochester/Milton because of severe flooding.

I'm hoping for a better winter this year as well D2D. I've installed the pellet stove and cleaned the furnace. I'm getting ready.

the report on the family in the car was awful. There is nothing worse than not being able to save your child.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:06 AM

Here are some pictures. This first one where the barricade is was completely flooded like a small river last night-it was too dark to take a good picture then. It wa like a roaring rapids-it was unbelieveable.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM

I plan on getting down to the train tracks later today and will take some pics to post

Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/foreverafan3n8/Comp%20Tags/rainbowzprayerscy0666.gif (broken link)

Prayers for all affected by the storms and for sunny days soon.

After last year's drought (so extreme some towns had less than ONE month of water)...I swore I'd never sing "rain rain go away" again. But we always seem to be reminded of the extremes in a cycle of events - and this is a reminder of how "too much" rain can be a bad thing as well.

So my prayers that stability in the weather happens soon to give you all a peace of mind and that everyone can get back to restoring order to the towns and property.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM

311 posts, read 995,711 times
My neighbor lost a huge portion of his driveway...with three cars trapped on the house side of the wash-out, so couldn't get them out. Lots of other driveway wash-outs and a couple big portions of the streets in our neighborhood with sink holes and wash-outs. Never seen anything like this. Our finished basement flooded for the first time EVER. Still, we're lucky no one hurt and we still have a roof over our head. The death of the 7-year-old girl in Ashland is such a horrible tragedy.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
My neighbor lost a huge portion of his driveway...with three cars trapped on the house side of the wash-out, so couldn't get them out. Lots of other driveway wash-outs and a couple big portions of the streets in our neighborhood with sink holes and wash-outs. Never seen anything like this. Our finished basement flooded for the first time EVER. Still, we're lucky no one hurt and we still have a roof over our head. The death of the 7-year-old girl in Ashland is such a horrible tragedy.

WOW.

I agree it is so sad about that poor 7-year old girl. What a tragedy-her poor family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire