Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,983,368 times

Advertisements

I guess my sending some sunshine hasnt gotten to you all yet. I hope everyone is ok.

Buck what kind of crops are you growing? Are they lost, due to all the rain?
The force of water is amazing, it really scares me. It is so strong and moves so fast. Flooding is the biggest fear I have about moving to NH. I dont really remember coming across posts on flooding in VT. I dont think Vermont has as many rivers, streams and lakes as NH. Maybe that is why?

Please everyone be safe!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,179,275 times
"I dont really remember coming across posts on flooding in VT."

oh yes - VT is under water as well.......

Homes were evacuated in central Vermont Wednesday night as heavy rain sent streams and rivers over their banks and washed out bridges and roads across the region.
A flash flood warning has been posted for the state through Wednesday night as some areas received more that five inches of rain.
East Middlebury has set up a shelter at its municipal building. Serious flooding was reported in the towns of Hancock, Rochester and Granville.
A number of homes, businesses and a childrens’ summer camp were evacuated due to the flooding. At least one dam failed.
The flooding in Vermont is only the latest in a wild week of weather across the north central and northeastern U.S. from Chicago to Maine which has seen tornadoes, high winds and flooding.

http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=3725

I grow vegetables, some fruit and hay for the horses. We haven't lost the crops but we are dealing with mildew and blotch problems. We also can't cut the hay when it's wet - the longer I wait, the less chance for a second cut and that means a hay shortage for winter.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,225,628 times
Suzet,

I don't think there's a huge difference in the number of lakes and rivers between NH and VT. Most of the flooding can just be attributed to the freak amounts of rain we've gotten here in NH, which might have something to do with proximity to the ocean and moisture being drawn from there.

But you should know that flooding is definitely not the norm here, even though we've had flooding incidents the past few years. However, the flooding here is much, much less severe than it is in places like the Midwest, where the rivers are huge and the land very flat. The flooding in NH has been very localized, so only structures fairly close to bodies of water at a low elevation have been damaged by the floods. And even then, the damaged structures represent a very small minority of those near bodies of water across the state.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,470,863 times
Nicole, thanks for posting your pictures!!
Buck, good luck w/your hay...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,179,275 times
TY lisa.

we had a road through the woods that washed out last year - we have not repaired it....the road was an old logging road that was at least 100 years old.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/paintingtwirler/pbbackyard006.jpg (broken link)

in one storm, it was gone. It's strictly a walking trail now, as I have no plans to repair it.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,983,368 times
Thank you Buck and Verseau for clearing things up for me. I havent been to the Vermont site in a about a week and then it was a long time before that, so I havent been keeping up on what their weather has been like. For some reason I thought NH flooded way more than VT.

As Lisa said, good luck with your hay. I sent you guys some sunshine via the internet, hopefully it gets to you, and the sun will dry out your hay. I am happy to hear you didnt loose your crops, but sorry about the mildew and blotch problems.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,316,945 times
Suzet-we have many lakes, streams, etc. We have had 15" of rain since June in Burlington, more in other areas. The ground is so saturated that when it rains there is no where for the water to go.
We've had major flooding over here on this side of the CT river as well. Vermont State Route 125 and Route 53 in Central VT were completely washed out/destroyed and are still closed. My in-laws who live next to the Middlebury River were evacuated for a while at the beginning of last week-luckily they had no damage to their property other than the stairs they have going down in to the river washing away. Lake Champlain is 3 feet above normal. It's been pretty crazy. According to the article below Vermont has been hit harder from ME or NH. Luckily there have been no lives lost on this side of the river. Unfortunate and sad about the little girl in Ashland.

County looks to repair damages from latest floods | Addison County Independent

video:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/category.asp?C=139464&nav=menu183_5 (broken link)
(in the search bar type "Ripton" for some crazy video

There was also a great story on the news this morning about a cow that got washed 3 miles downstream and lived to "tell" about it. http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8823858

Last edited by vter; 08-12-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire