Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best alternative rock band
R.E.M 11 10.28%
The Cure 7 6.54%
Nirvana 4 3.74%
The Replacements 3 2.80%
Pixies 5 4.67%
Sonic Youth 2 1.87%
Pearl Jam 4 3.74%
Soundgarden 2 1.87%
Alice In Chains 6 5.61%
The White Stripes 1 0.93%
The Strokes 0 0%
Oasis 3 2.80%
Depeche Mode 6 5.61%
Blur 0 0%
Red Hot Chili Peppers 4 3.74%
The Stone Roses 0 0%
Radiohead 6 5.61%
Beastie Boys 0 0%
The Smashing Pumpkins 3 2.80%
The Smiths 3 2.80%
U2 9 8.41%
Nine Inch Nails 4 3.74%
New Order 0 0%
Jane's Addiction 3 2.80%
Pavement 0 0%
My Bloody valentine 0 0%
Green Day 2 1.87%
Mudhoney 1 0.93%
I hate "Alternative Rock" 5 4.67%
Other (please specify) 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times

Advertisements

Alice In Chains - although there are many other awesome bands I could've voted for also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Jane's Addiction, RHCP

Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM

488 posts, read 1,512,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I voted REM and am pleased to see other REM fans. I love them. I have visited Athens twice. I missed Michael Stipe by 10 minutes. I sat in the Manhattan bar in Athens. I had a bad cold and was forcing myself to be out enjoying myself. I chatted up a woman who noticed I was sick and asked why Im not home. "I said, Im on vacation in REM's hometown and Im not going to sit in a hotel." She laughed and explained that I just missed Michael.

All the albums except for Monster and Around The Sun are great. I agree about UP. Not many like that album but I think it's a masterpiece.

REM in my opinion is not just the best alternative band. They are the best band in the history of pop/rock music in general. They're better than the Beatles! Aside from their Liberalism they are the greatest!
I just moved from Athens to LA. I did meet Stipe once at an estate auction in '91 and talked to him for a few minutes before I realized it was him. He is tiny.
It kills me to say it but I agree about Around the Sun but I love Monster. The funeral dirge for Cobain still sends chills up my spine.
I'll have to draw the line when it comes to the Beatles. Nobody has or will come anywhere close.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Alice in Chains is the best band ever period.
Jerry Cantrell has always said that they are Metal not alternative, I would agree.
I'm so stoked that they are in the studio in OCT recording a new album with William as the lead singer. I saw them live and unplugged last year in Tulsa, William did a great job I'm sure this album will rock!!!

How about Mad Season, they were a GREAT alternative band.

I can't believe REM and Depeche Mode are leading this poll. REM better than the Beatles???!! Now thats just crazy talk.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
[quote=nevergoingback;5408077]Alice in Chains is the best band ever period.
Jerry Cantrell has always said that they are Metal not alternative, I would agree.
I'm so stoked that they are in the studio in OCT recording a new album with William as the lead singer. I saw them live and unplugged last year in Tulsa, William did a great job I'm sure this album will rock!!!

Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands also Dirt is such an incredible cd. I love Mad Season too. I have been thinking of breaking out my old VHS of their live performance I have. Somebody borrowed my Mad Season cd and never returned it....argghhhh......gotta soon re-buy it!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM

488 posts, read 1,512,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

How about Mad Season, they were a GREAT alternative band.

I can't believe REM and Depeche Mode are leading this poll. REM better than the Beatles???!! Now thats just crazy talk.
Love AIC. Got that Mad Season on vinyl. Killer.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
[quote=R.J. MacReady;5408132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands also Dirt is such an incredible cd. I love Mad Season too. I have been thinking of breaking out my old VHS of their live performance I have. Somebody borrowed my Mad Season cd and never returned it....argghhhh......gotta soon re-buy it!

After looking at the poll again today I have determined that AIC and Soundgarden do not belong. These are hard rock/metal bands. The media lumped them in with alternative years ago and it was never accurate in my opinion. I do not dislike these bands and years ago I owned a Soundgarden album. Overall, though they are really not my cup of tea. I remember the Mad Season with that song wake up and I really like dit.

I will not apololgize for posting REM is better than the Beatles.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
It's funny, because back when I was in high school (93-97) Alice In Chains appealed to the "alternative" crowd, and the metalheads hated them. In fact, Alice In Chains used to get booed off stage every night whenever they opened for a metal band. Nowadays it seems the opposite; except older alternative rockers still love them as well as the metalheads.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
[quote=loose cannon;5416439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post

After looking at the poll again today I have determined that AIC and Soundgarden do not belong. These are hard rock/metal bands. The media lumped them in with alternative years ago and it was never accurate in my opinion. I do not dislike these bands and years ago I owned a Soundgarden album. Overall, though they are really not my cup of tea. I remember the Mad Season with that song wake up and I really like dit.

I will not apololgize for posting REM is better than the Beatles.
Me neither. I like REM better.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
It's funny, because back when I was in high school (93-97) Alice In Chains appealed to the "alternative" crowd, and the metalheads hated them. In fact, Alice In Chains used to get booed off stage every night whenever they opened for a metal band. Nowadays it seems the opposite; except older alternative rockers still love them as well as the metalheads.
How could the metalheads boo AIC? Especially when Facelift was released? Its a very dark and somewhat heavy disc, one of the best ever!!!!

I could see them booing AIC after Jar of Flies or Dirt was released, but Facelift?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music