Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"...with voting about to begin, awards consultants are busy fine-tuning their pitches to academy members, making final appeals to their exquisite taste, their sense of decency and, yes, throwing in a dash of shame for good measure."
Translation: Producers, agents, and publicists are now showering voting members of the Academy with gifts, party invitations, promises of rewards and thanks (both personal and professional), and every form of legal bribery known to man.

In other words: If anyone out there really thinks winning an Oscar ultimately has anything to do with the actual quality of the movie, I have a bridge to sell you. The Miss America Pageant has more integrity and class than this horrorshow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 PM

16,434 posts, read 12,589,516 times
We get it. You hate the Oscars. Yet you keep returning to this thread.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:05 AM

27,404 posts, read 13,632,773 times
Given last nights British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAS) which are often used as an indicator as to how the Oscar will play out, I think 1917 is going to do well, as is Parasite.

Baftas 2020: Sam Mendes film 1917 dominates awards - BBC News

73rd British Academy Film Awards - Wikipedia

Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,291,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I definitely think Joaquin has it locked up. I haven't been in a hurry to see Joker, but I've been told it's not very comic book-y (other than involving a comic book character, so I may end up enjoying it. I'm kind of hoping Renee doesn't win for Judy. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but from the clips I've seen, her portrayal didn't seem terribly strong. Just typical squinty Renee. Maybe I'm missing something. I've seen three of the others in the Best Actress category, and Cynthia Erivo has my vote.

I really liked Joker and I'm not into all those marvel super heroes, vin diesel type movies. Joker is a realistic story about a regular dude dealing with everyday people problems. It's 2019's version of Rocky.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 AM

33,332 posts, read 12,642,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I definitely think Joaquin has it locked up. I haven't been in a hurry to see Joker, but I've been told it's not very comic book-y (other than involving a comic book character, so I may end up enjoying it. I'm kind of hoping Renee doesn't win for Judy. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but from the clips I've seen, her portrayal didn't seem terribly strong. Just typical squinty Renee. Maybe I'm missing something. I've seen three of the others in the Best Actress category, and Cynthia Erivo has my vote.

I thought Renee's portrayal was strong. Until I saw the last performance, I had her neck and neck with Charlize Theron. However, IMO, that is moot because of the fifth and last performance I saw...Cynthia Erivo as Harriet Tubman. I agree with you Cynthia Erivo has my vote as well. I think it would be a shame if she doesn't win.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 AM

130,974 posts, read 12,231,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I thought Renee's portrayal was strong. Until I saw the last performance, I had her neck and neck with Charlize Theron. However, IMO, that is moot because of the fifth and last performance I saw...Cynthia Erivo as Harriet Tubman. I agree with you Cynthia Erivo has my vote as well. I think it would be a shame if she doesn't win.
I would like her to win also, Plus Joaquin for the male version, & 1917 for best movie.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:57 AM

26,828 posts, read 26,985,456 times
"To some, the Oscars are a just an overblown marketing tool, driven by the film industry, the fashion industry, the increasingly desperate media, in hopes of drawing attention that should be focused on more important things. To others, the Oscars are a celebration of one of the few things inhabitants of this world have in common — a love of cinematic storytelling, a quest for truth and illumination through images that hold us captive, together, in the dark."

I fall into the latter category.

Our love-hate relationship with the Oscars only proves how much they matter:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ch-they-matter

Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 AM

16,434 posts, read 12,589,516 times
I finally finished all 9. My personal ranking (which doesn't reflect my opinion of who might win):
  1. Jojo Rabbit ... I liked this a lot more than I expected. Some of the casting was "off" for me (I think someone else should have played the mother, and Rebel Wilson's character added nothing), but the rest of the casting was outstanding. I think the guy who played Hitler (the director, whose name is escaping me at the moment) deserved a Supporting nom.
  2. Joker ... fully admit that this movie was carried 100% by Joaquin. He definitely deserves all the awards and accolades he's gotten this season. The exact same movie with anyone else in the title role would have made for a lousy movie.
  3. Little Women ... this only ranks so highly because it's a sentimental favorite and I like what Gerwig did with the timeline. I admit however that it really wasn't deserving of a nomination
  4. Parasite ... I built up my expectations too high for this one. I was expecting be be blown away but it didn't quite get there for me. I really did like it though.
  5. Ford vs. Ferrari ... I thought this one was going to bore me to tears since I have no interest in race cars. But it was well done. Bale and Damon gave really solid performances (though not really nomination worthy ... not a huge stretch for either)
  6. 1917 ... This was beautifully made and the "single shot" (though technically not a single shot) was definitely a feat. But it felt gimmicky after a while, and I don't know that it really added anything to the story (other than highlighting the unrealistic timeline)
  7. Marriage Story ... Kramer v. Kramer for the new millennium. Yawn. I've never had any desire to sit through anyone's custody battle. Driver gave a good performance, and I love an Alan Alda sighting, but it wasn't enough to save the movie for me. And they murdered a couple of Sondheim songs. That's blasphemy to this musical theatre nerd.
  8. Once Upon a Time ... Unpopular opinion: I've never liked Tarantino. And this film was no exception. He took 2-1/2 hours and a cast of thousands to dance around an actual plot. By the time he finally got there, he lost his mind and spooged blood all over the screen.
  9. The Irishman ... Unpopular opinion 2.0: I've never liked Scorsese. I had a hard time following this one, and it took me four sittings. Maybe it would have stood a chance if I had been in a dark theater, but when I'm at home with a pause button, it didn't stand a chance of keeping my attention.
I'd be okay with any of 1-6 winning. But I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be OUATIH or The Irishman. Blech.

I'm about to stream a couple of movies from the acting categories before the award show (Two Popes and Judy). Then I'll just be missing three films from the 6 major categories (Pain and Glory, Beautiful Day, and Richard Jewell)

Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 PM

7,609 posts, read 6,118,335 times
My son and I are looking forward to watching the OSCARS tonite. I will forgo the stories of Spite and argument which one can read on my posts on the religious forums and cut to the chase.

My youngest and I are Tarrantino Fans, so naturally we want Once Upon a Time to win That being said, 1917 which was an OK but not classic worthy film is the closest to Oscar Bait on the list, with Parasite being the best film.

As for the ceremony, we both think, and are perhaps the only ones, that we can do without the jokes and skits and make the awards a more grand and honorable event. I know TV ratings are at stake, and I know people who do not have a good wardrobe of their own will be spending weeks looking at then talking about what someone wore to the Oscars.
For me, I don't give a Rattus rattus' Distal Alimentary canal opening what someone wears. I just want to see who wins.

I LOVE The OPs comment that no one is forced to watch. On the other hand, do not try to keep me from watching, lest you become a victim of the Cat's wrath. Asa few have learned the hard way.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:50 PM

26,828 posts, read 26,985,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I LOVE The OPs comment that no one is forced to watch.
LOL. I love the performances.

"Queen Elsa herself, Idina Menzel, will return to the Oscars telecast six years after she wowed the crowd with her live rendition of “Let It Go,” which won the Academy Award for original song in 2014.

This year, she’ll sing her “Frozen 2" power ballad, “Into the Unknown,” during the ceremony, which will include performances by all five original-song nominees. Erivo will take the stage with “Stand Up” from “Harriet,” Elton John will perform "(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman,” Chrissy Metz will sing “I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough” and Randy Newman will perform “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4.”

The broadcast will also feature debut Oscars performances from newly minted Grammy winner Billie Eilish and Grammys veteran Janelle Monáe. While the academy is keeping details about the singer-songwriters’ appearances under wraps, Eilish was recently confirmed as the youngest artist in history to record a James Bond theme song for “No Time to Die.” Monáe also stars opposite Erivo in..."

Oscars 2020: Everything you need to know ahead of Sunday’s show:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...academy-awards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies