Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Everyone - including you - knows what it means.
No, I really don't. What do you mean by an "American movie?"

Made by an American studio? Kick out anything made by Sony Pictures, which is owned by a Japanese conglomerate. Kick out any Columbia Picture, which is a subsidiary of Sony, which is ... Japanese.

Directed by an American? Kick out David Lean, Ridley Scott, Denis Villeneuve, David Cronenberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Laurence Olivier, Kenneth Branagh, Richard Attenborough, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Starring Americans? Sorry, I don't feel like typing that long of a list.

Filmed in America? Again, that list is too long.

So no, I'm not at all sure what you mean. What constitutes an American movie exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times
I plan on seeing Parasite, and it may very well have been best picture from the nominee pool.

Yet, I can't help but think the Academy voters made the P.C. choice with voting for Parasite, seeing how the Oscars continue to get grief for being 'too White.'

Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I plan on seeing Parasite, and it may very well have been best picture from the nominee pool.

Yet, I can't help but think the Academy voters made the P.C. choice with voting for Parasite, seeing how the Oscars continue to get grief for being 'too White.'
PARASITE may well be the best movie of the year. I don't know. I still haven't seen it or a lot of the other movies.

But if you think the deciding factor of an Oscar winner has anything to do with quality, then you haven't been paying attention for 50+ years.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:51 AM

862 posts, read 521,422 times
Don't know which I enjoy more...the academy finally getting it right in giving the best movie of the year the best movie of the year in Parasite, or the fact that The Irishman was exposed for the ultimate disaster it truly was.

Both are highly satisfying.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:07 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,132,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Don't know which I enjoy more...the academy finally getting it right in giving the best movie of the year the best movie of the year in Parasite, or the fact that The Irishman was exposed for the ultimate disaster it truly was.

Both are highly satisfying.
Martin was falling asleep at the Oscars.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,604,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Martin was falling asleep at the Oscars.
Or he could be closing his eyes because whatever is happening on stage (I'm guessing Eminem), is really freaking bright, judging by the lighting on other faces.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,051,988 times
Quote:

Read someone’s comments on the nominations the said Parasite was likely going to get more second place votes than others nominated so that would be a factor that made it a good choice for best picture

When he won for best original screen play I thought he stood a good chance at Best Picture

Old 02-10-2020, 03:16 PM

15,676 posts, read 10,454,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What do you mean by an "American movie?" [snip]What constitutes an American movie exactly?
a movie that has an American director and was made for American audiences.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:46 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,604,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
a movie that has an American director and was made for American audiences.
Well that just knocked out Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro Inarritu, Ang Lee, Michel Hazanavicius, Tom Hooper, Danny Boyle, Peter Jackson, and some outstanding films.

Tell you what ... start your own award show, and then you can limit it to just Americans. I'm very thankful that the Academy hasn't chosen to go that route.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,208,171 times
Quote:

I don't think you really get that many points with an Asian as opposed to a more 'disadvantaged' minority group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies