Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 08:13 AM

24,423 posts, read 23,088,846 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you knew when Disney bought Star Wars it was the death of the franchise. Disney has no soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 08:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,094,472 times
Funny review...

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jilIx1EwJMk

Old 12-21-2019, 08:43 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,192,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yeah, you knew when Disney bought Star Wars it was the death of the franchise. Disney has no soul.
There is a force worse than Lucas' storytelling. It's Disney!

Old 12-21-2019, 10:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
My opinion on Rise of Skywalker, great but I still think it is the worst of the four Disney era Star Wars movies I've seen (I STILL haven't seen Solo: A Star Wars Story.) My problem with it without going into details is it lulls at points and relies a bit on nostalgia to the original movies. That said, the way it ended was PERFECT and it had a Star Wars moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I wouldn't say so. Maybe to older fans but a number still loved this film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
There is a force worse than Lucas' storytelling. It's Disney!
Disney still didn't subject us to Jar Jar Binks...

Old 12-21-2019, 11:54 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,679,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I mean i have seen 8 of them already and this is the last 1 to end the saga so why not.

I hated Episode 7 and 8. Episode 7 is pretty much a remake of Episode 4 a la J J Abrams (think Star Trek remakes - they were ok but didn't have the magic of the original ones.)

Episode 8 was hot trash. I didn't watch it the movie theaters. I saw it on a plane ride from NYC to LA. I feel asleep through a good 60% of it. I tried watching it again during the return flight but again i feel asleep.

I will see Episode 9 to say goodbye to Star Wars Episode 1 to 9, to complete the saga.
I can't disagree with Ep 7 and 8. My GOD! episode 8 was tragic. I realize this is more a "Fantasy" that science Fiction, but to completely make a mockery of the science was unacceptable. Episode 8 was the WORST of the series, in my opinion. Worse even than the "Prequel series"

I think that Abrams redeemed the series to a degree with this last one. It was not really too horrible. I actually enjoyed much of it. Though it did have its moments of tedium.

Episodes 7 and 8 were basically a giant, 2-part MacGuffin.

The end of a 42 year saga, for me.
I think that I am done with SW.

Rogue One was actually my favorite of the whole lot of them.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I can't disagree with Ep 7 and 8. My GOD! episode 8 was tragic. I realize this is more a "Fantasy" that science Fiction, but to completely make a mockery of the science was unacceptable. Episode 8 was the WORST of the series, in my opinion. Worse even than the "Prequel series"

I think that Abrams redeemed the series to a degree with this last one. It was not really too horrible. I actually enjoyed much of it. Though it did have its moments of tedium.

Episodes 7 and 8 were basically a giant, 2-part MacGuffin.

The end of a 42 year saga, for me.
I think that I am done with SW.

Rogue One was actually my favorite of the whole lot of them.
Episode 8's biggest problem was that the movie wanted to be what fan complaints of Episode 7's issue of being too nostalgic. It went too hard to many fans. Luke throws the Anakin lightsaber that Obi-Wan gave him all those years ago that he lost in Bespin away when Rey gives it to him because the Jedi are dead. He killed them when he tried killing Ben was seduced by the Dark Side into becoming Kylo Ren.

Episode 9 was alright but I had more nostalgic moments that many seemed to be senseless fanservice after Episode 8's errors. I ma owned to enjoy what they did so it annoyed me. Don't get me wrong, some of it works, namely the end and playing on Lando's feelings for Leia.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Already a cam version on BitTorrent...

Old 12-21-2019, 05:28 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
I just saw Episode IX, it was OK.

While Lucas is far from a great storyteller, I was wondering why he didn't end up directing Episodes 7, 8, and 9?

I didn't really follow the Lucasfilm sale to Disney 7 years ago, but was wondering if there was a stipulation in the sale that he couldn't direct any future Star Wars films, or was it just a choice by Lucas himself, to have a "clean break" and he didn't want to direct Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:59 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

While Lucas is far from a great storyteller, I was wondering why he didn't end up directing Episodes 7, 8, and 9?

I didn't really follow the Lucasfilm sale to Disney 7 years ago, but was wondering if there was a stipulation in the sale that he couldn't direct any future Star Wars films, or was it just a choice by Lucas himself, to have a "clean break" and he didn't want to direct Episodes 7, 8, and 9.
Because he has no part of the franchise. He sold it. It's not his to direct, and they're not interested (nor is he).

Old 12-21-2019, 06:02 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,094,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

With the sale George Lucas lost all creative control of Star Wars. He thought by having Kathleen still as President of LucasFilm that he would be ok but that didn't really work out for him since Kathleen was kissing the Disney ring. George gave Disney/LucasFilm his ideas for 7,8, and 9 but the Disney head felt it was too complicated and wanted something similar to the Original Trilogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies