Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 03:09 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,314,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Who here has read 90% of these?! I'm guessing nobody.
Admittedly, I haven't read 90%, but I had a job in the late '90s that left me with hours and hours of audiobook time, so I got through the Zahn books, many of the Kevin J. Anderson books, and a few others. I wasn't wowed by any of them, and many were downright bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 03:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,629,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Admittedly, I haven't read 90%, but I had a job in the late '90s that left me with hours and hours of audiobook time, so I got through the Zahn books, many of the Kevin J. Anderson books, and a few others. I wasn't wowed by any of them, and many were downright bad.
Interesting. Maybe they were trying too hard. K.W. Jeter's Blade Runner 2: Edge of Human is good, though.

Also of note, and pertaining to the new movie:

Spoiler
Palpatine's life extension and energy-leeching was more or less poached from Zahn's stint on the Dark Empire comic.

Zahn also disapproves of bringing Palpatine back in TRoS, saying it unravels the OT and renders Vader's/Anakin's sacrifice meaningless. I'm inclined have to agree.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times
Never been a SW fan, I think the New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are awesome movies, especially Empire. The Return of the Jedi was alright, good plot and stuff, but I think the saving Han scene was too long, too much focus and what amounts to a mundane side story, that would make no sense to send some your top rebellion people to do, and the ewoks were just embarrassing. They went from the dark, grim, the good guys do not always win Empire, to a kids show with Jedi when the ewoks entered to picture.

I saw the first prequel when it came out, snore fest, kept dozing off, after some big battle scene with that kid magically and clumsily flying the ship and doing so much BS, and that idiot Jar Jar character, left before the end, just could not take it any more.

Never saw any again until the first new one under Disney came out, saw it during a flight, and to me it was just a remake of New Hope, yet another yawn fest of a death star and the story line in general. The new main characters are just awful, especially Finn who seemed was totally unneeded and seems forced, as do all the characters. Rey is a Mary Sue it seems.

Have no desire to see any more, Rogue One might be an exception because I have heard pretty good reviews about it, and it seems it bucks the trend of poor SW movies under Disney. The Palpatine guy coming back seems just plain stupid.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:16 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Honestly, the biggest problem with this trilogy is connecting it to the first 6. It should have been a standalone trilogy. You didn’t need Han, Luke or Leia. But these movies have felt like a soft reboot of Star Wars instead the 9th part of a saga.

I saw the movie, it was very very fan-fiction-ey. They turned the force into a weird Marvel super power. But this movie feels like it’s just ....here. And tried too hard to retcon the terrible The Last Jedi instead of being its own thing. The first half of the movie moves so fast, you don’t know what just happened or have time to process it.

It also introduces new powers which ruin the old films. like some of Rey’s new powers make you wonder why didn’t Luke and Anakin just use the same power to save their loved ones.

Overall, this movie just feels like....it’s here. I can’t explain it. It’s not terrible, it’s pretty and it has the classic John Williams music. But overall, it’s forgettable. At least the original and even the prequels have a lore about them and are memorable. These new movies don’t tell a story nor are they very memorable.

This trilogy should’ve focused on Finn and Kylo Ren. Instead, it focuses on the most boring character, Rey, and has WAYYYYY too many new characters added to it that are in one movie and forgotten about the next.

Disney and Kennedy were handed the keys to one of the most successful IPs and they give us a soft BORING reboot of the OT. A major problem was The Last Jedi but the BIGGEST problem was Force Awakens. It was just a reboot of the 1977 movie and it hit the reset button on the victory of that trilogy. It’s Rebels Vs Empire v2. More Death Stars. Now every ship is a Death Star! Even though they showed in Force Awkwns they took out most of the galaxy with the Death Star 3 but who cares! Let’s create a new Empire to rule maybe 3 planets left in the galaxy.

They need to just retire Star Wars. Outside of the original 3 movies, the series needs to be laid to rest.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 12-23-2019 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-23-2019, 08:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

Disney and Kennedy were handed the keys to one of the most successful IPs and they give us a soft BORING reboot of the OT. A major problem was The Last Jedi but the BIGGEST problem was Force Awakens. It was just a reboot of the 1977 movie and it hit the reset button on the victory of that trilogy. It’s Rebels Vs Empire v2. More Death Stars. Now every ship is a Death Star! Even though they showed in Force Awkwns they took out most of the galaxy with the Death Star 3 but who cares! Let’s create a new Empire to rule maybe 3 planets left in the galaxy.

They need to just retire Star Wars. Outside of the original 3 movies, the series needs to be laid to rest.

I agree with this, except I would say the prequels are legitimate, like them or not. The Force Awakens was a decent movie on it's own, but it never sat well with me how it plunged the galaxy back into total darkness, essential undoing the first trilogy. It could have worked though if The Last Jedi would have been better. The Rise of Skywalker is damage control in my opinion. I think it succeeded in being that. However, what a wasted opportunity this trilogy was.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
You see why Lucus himself never made many SW movies, because it's too difficult to satisfy the fans and investors. I could easily see 3 movies alone about Anakin. The problem with Rey and Ben in this trilogy is they have less training than any other Jedi or Sith yet they can master the force easily in short time.

The whole trilogy is a mess because Rey has never received any training. Luke made it obvious, when he stated Rey doesn't need any training from him. The movie was simply not cohesive with the rest of the SW stories.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
It was craptacular. Just one huge cinematic abomination.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It was craptacular. Just one huge cinematic abomination.

Spoiler
Palpatine wins in the end from a certain point of view. I mean, Rey is a Palpatine even if she wants to say she is a Skywalker.

What a dumb storyline throughout the entire trilogy. The issue is Rey, Poe, and Finn were never developed in a way that made the audience connect with them the way they do the original cast. Sad thing is, they blew this one chance to make a good trilogy with the original cast back.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:58 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,569,318 times
I thought it was good Movie and took it for what it was. As a fan you can always be critical, but not over critical imo.
Enjoy it for what is was

Old 12-24-2019, 10:59 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,008,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I thought it was good Movie and took it for what it was. As a fan you can always be critical, but not over critical imo.
Enjoy it for what is was
Why should people enjoy it for what it was when it clearly could have been so much better if only a little care and thought had been used when writing the story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies