Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 01:14 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

I have zero doubt it will be the #1 movie this weekend. After that ...

Movies like this are made with the expectation that fans will go see them multiple times. I have my doubts there will be much of that with this movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:07 AM

THIS is why you never ever ever ever ever ever ever "make a movie for the fans."

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/s...ie-review-2019

Quote:
Some of the action is well-executed, there are strong performances throughout, and one almost has to admire the brazenness of the weaponized nostalgia for the original trilogy, but feelings like joy and wonder are smothered by a movie that so desperately wants to please a fractured fanbase that it doesn’t bother with an identity of its own.

Some fans of the series believe that “The Last Jedi” destroyed their favorite franchise, and here’s J.J. Abrams literally picking up the broken pieces and putting them back together. And yet, as he's told, you can still see the cracks, meant as a criticism of Kylo's uncertainty but reflective of the movie too. Sometimes you can’t just put things back together, and revisit history in a way that doesn’t feel craven and desperate. People will see the cracks.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:25 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
JJ also said he's not good with endings.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
Reviews are in for 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' and it's not looking pretty

Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM

512 posts, read 323,350 times
Wow. I was not expecting a rotten score from RT. If anything, I was
expecting a 75-80-ish score. Not glowing raves but not pans. Star Wars
has really gone down the tubes...

Old 12-18-2019, 04:54 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,296,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Wow. I was not expecting a rotten score from RT. If anything, I was
expecting a 75-80-ish score. Not glowing raves but not pans. Star Wars
has really gone down the tubes...
Yeah I was surprised too. I already bought my tickets, but I may get a refund and see Jumanji instead.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
The issue with this new trilogy was how unoriginal it was.

A Death Star Planet = Holy ****! Can we move away from Death Stars? It failed twice in the original trilogy.

New characters with no development or back-story = Kylo Ren - Emo Anakin/Darth Vader; Rey = Superpowerful Luke Skywalker; Supreme Leader Snoke = ?????; The 1st Order

The main driving force of the saga. The Jedi/The Sith are no longer on the driver's seat.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

A Death Star Planet = Holy ****! Can we move away from Death Stars? It failed twice in the original trilogy.

New characters with no development or back-story = Kylo Ren - Emo Anakin/Darth Vader; Rey = Superpowerful Luke Skywalker; Supreme Leader Snoke = ?????; The 1st Order

The main driving force of the saga. The Jedi/The Sith are no longer on the driver's seat.
Yup. Kathleen Kennedy seems to be getting most of the blame for this, but I'm not sure that's fair. This reeks of Disney. "Play it safe! These movies are products not stories! Just make sure they sell!"

But I'm sure Disney will politely throw Kennedy under the bus.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:55 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,291,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

I'm not disputing the criticism of the new trilogy. That said a lot can be equally leveled at the OT, no character development, MacGuffins and Deus Ex Machina galore. Don't get me wrong the concept of the force and dark/light is the huge plus that's faded in this new trilogy, and the original trilogy can be forgiven much given its creation as bedtime stories for Lucas kids, and its pushing Cinema forwards. The PT and ST can't get the same mulligan,

Old 12-19-2019, 04:31 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,038,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
JJ also said he's not good with endings.
He sucks at movies these days in general. Dump JJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies