Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:38 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
TFA and TLJ already threw this trilogy off a cliff.
TRS was the best of the three, imo, and the only one that didn't bore me to death.
TRS was just The Return of the Jedi redone, just as TFA was just Star Wars redone. I was very quickly bored by both, as I realized I’d already seen them when I was younger (and the stories fresh). (TLJ was just weird, although at least it tried not to be a beat-for-beat retelling of Empire, so I have to give it a bit of credit.)

Quote:
The whole idea of a sequel trilogy was half-baked and fraught with problems.
They should have stuck with the stand-alone stuff.
I couldn’t agree more! A sequel trilogy was unnecessary; fresh new stories were what was needed. New characters given something new to do, that was the way Disney should have gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

I couldn’t agree more! A sequel trilogy was unnecessary; fresh new stories were what was needed. New characters given something new to do, that was the way Disney should have gone.
That seems like the consensus. From everyone I talk to, Rogue One seems to be more popular than any of the new Trilogy Films. I actually didn't mind the Solo film, although I know I'm in the minority on that one. At least as a standalone, it didn't mess anything up and I found it pretty entertaining.

People say that the previous prequel trilogy, while flawed, at least had a cohesive story line that blended into the originals. The latest trilogy was just choppy, and didn't really captivate.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That seems like the consensus. From everyone I talk to, Rogue One seems to be more popular than any of the new Trilogy Films. I actually didn't mind the Solo film, although I know I'm in the minority on that one. At least as a standalone, it didn't mess anything up and I found it pretty entertaining.

People say that the previous prequel trilogy, while flawed, at least had a cohesive story line that blended into the originals. The latest trilogy was just choppy, and didn't really captivate.
I'm not sure that not having a sequel trilogy was a bad idea. I think that they rushed into it before being properly familiar with the OT, PT and Extended Universe enough to make rational decisions on plots and storylines. Pretty much as soon as Disney announced the ST they announced that the Extended Universe was non-canon and would only base the trilogy on the Lucas movies.

It may have been sensible to start with baby steps and put out movies within the timelines of Episodes I-Vi Not only are there interesting characters in the first 6 movies that were only quickly onscreen and might deserve exploring, but, it would also give screenwriters and directors enough space to play without falling off a cliff.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:40 AM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I thought Solo was okay, but would have found a better home as a Disney+ miniseries like The Mandalorian. It needed more space for a deeper and more measured story of how a good kid was turned sour.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm not sure that not having a sequel trilogy was a bad idea. I think that they rushed into it before being properly familiar with the OT, PT and Extended Universe enough to make rational decisions on plots and storylines. Pretty much as soon as Disney announced the ST they announced that the Extended Universe was non-canon and would only base the trilogy on the Lucas movies.

It may have been sensible to start with baby steps and put out movies within the timelines of Episodes I-Vi Not only are there interesting characters in the first 6 movies that were only quickly onscreen and might deserve exploring, but, it would also give screenwriters and directors enough space to play without falling off a cliff.

A sequel trilogy is a good idea. Lucas had planned one decades ago, and I'd like to know what his outline was for it.

They should have licensed some of the plot elements from some of the books and run with those, as Clone Wars and Rebels did successfully.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A sequel trilogy is a good idea. Lucas had planned one decades ago, and I'd like to know what his outline was for it.
From what little I've heard of it, no, you really don't! Apparently it involved midiclorians being the home of microscopic alien beings who used people as hosts: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/ge...ix-1201974276/

Whatever mess Disney goes on to make of the various Star Wars sequels, at least they have spared us THAT!

Old 01-02-2020, 10:04 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
From what little I've heard of it, no, you really don't! Apparently it involved midiclorians being the home of microscopic alien beings who used people as hosts: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/ge...ix-1201974276/
It's a little more complicated than that, although midichlorians were definitely in play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRSM1367TDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dM9qFe4p0&t=8s

Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Lucas's original ideas definitely had some problems. But hey, at least he had a story idea. He had a reason for the story. Disney obviously did not. Disney's sole motivation for episodes VII, VIII, and IX was simply $$$. J.J. Abrams has admitted that they started filming Episode VII before they even had a script. Rian Johnson apparently went in with the motive to completely refocus STAR WARS; not a bad idea in and of itself, but Johnson did it badly. And Episode IX ... ? Just a mess. An unmitigated mess.

Here is the thing that Hollywood execs just don't want to understand: Writing matters. You can hire the best actors, sink millions into special effects, spend millions on marketing and promotion, and if the story isn't there, none of it will ultimately matter. Disney had no story.

Quote:
They should have licensed some of the plot elements from some of the books and run with those, as Clone Wars and Rebels did successfully.
Disney wouldn't need to license anything. They own it all.

Some good things came out of the books, comics, and cartoons. But there is a lot of garbage too.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Here is the thing that Hollywood execs just don't want to understand: Writing matters.
You nailed it. It's unfathomable to me that Disney didn't sit down and write a story synopsis for the entire trilogy before beginning to film it. How could it be anything but an incoherent mess, given that the directors had no idea of where the story was supposed to go (because there was no overarching story had been written)?

Unfortunately Disney has made enough money off of the films that they may not have learned this lesson.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Disney wouldn't need to license anything. They own it all.

Some good things came out of the books, comics, and cartoons. But there is a lot of garbage too.

I said "plot elements." I didn't say use all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies