Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 12:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I thought it was good Movie and took it for what it was. As a fan you can always be critical, but not over critical imo.
Enjoy it for what is was

I'm not asking for it to be Fellini. I'm just asking for it to not be riddled with bad dialog, cliches, dropped storylines and deus ex machina wherever you look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 11:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You see why Lucus himself never made many SW movies, because it's too difficult to satisfy the fans and investors. I could easily see 3 movies alone about Anakin. The problem with Rey and Ben in this trilogy is they have less training than any other Jedi or Sith yet they can master the force easily in short time.

The whole trilogy is a mess because Rey has never received any training. Luke made it obvious, when he stated Rey doesn't need any training from him. The movie was simply not cohesive with the rest of the SW stories.
Ben/Kylo had a lot of training though. He was Luke's star pupil. But like his grandfather before him, he was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. This was fairly covered. Rey I always said, let's wait and see because she had the "Mary Sue" talk by film fans for four years now. I knew if not 8, we would know in 9. What I actually wondered more was how Leia actually learned the ways of the Force to be Rey's trainer in 9, after Luke died. I feel her being the granddaughter of the most powerful welder of The Force in the established canon of films, explained it enough.

There are certainly other things in the Disney sequels that are worth questioning more. Like how a Force ghost can stop an object or Force levitate an object. I mean, yeah it might have always been possible, but it was never said what a Force ghost could or couldn't do. Or perhaps the Kylo tricks of having a lightsaber duel with Rey when they aren't even in the same place.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I thought it was good Movie and took it for what it was. As a fan you can always be critical, but not over critical imo.
Enjoy it for what is was
Agreed, pretty good movie,both i and my wife enjoyed it on Xmas day.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
I thought it was a really good movie. Because it's a Star Wars film, I knew people were going to be really critical. I definitely had a few gripes, but overall I was entertained the whole time.

My minor gripes were that it was a little choppy, and even after rewatching a lot if the old films, I still was struggling to remember the Last Jedi and how the beginning connected to it. Also, the homages to some of the original characters were a little weak IMO. Carrie Fischer was a tough situation, so I'm not going to judge that one. But Hans Solo was The Man, and his little cameo/homage was disappointing. Not sure how they could have enhanced it, but he deserved more. And Luke's role was just weak IMO.

But I loved Kylo/Ben in this film and the last. The actor is a great actor and has great screen presence.

Great visuals. Overall I was satisfied.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Ben/Kylo had a lot of training though. He was Luke's star pupil. But like his grandfather before him, he was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. This was fairly covered. Rey I always said, let's wait and see because she had the "Mary Sue" talk by film fans for four years now. I knew if not 8, we would know in 9. What I actually wondered more was how Leia actually learned the ways of the Force to be Rey's trainer in 9, after Luke died. I feel her being the granddaughter of the most powerful welder of The Force in the established canon of films, explained it enough.

There are certainly other things in the Disney sequels that are worth questioning more. Like how a Force ghost can stop an object or Force levitate an object. I mean, yeah it might have always been possible, but it was never said what a Force ghost could or couldn't do. Or perhaps the Kylo tricks of having a lightsaber duel with Rey when they aren't even in the same place.
Yup, I thought Ben/Kylo just had a great screen presence. Vader can't be duplicated in terms of his screen presence, but Kylo had a presence that at least gave that kind of feel.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:49 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Saw it yesterday. One word pretty much sums up my reaction to the movie:

Old 12-27-2019, 02:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why should people enjoy it for what it was when it clearly could have been so much better if only a little care and thought had been used when writing the story?
I agree. There's absolutely no reason to watch this trilogy over the OT as far as I'm concerned. It's the exact same story only told with less interesting characters and fewer memorable worlds. At least the prequels told a good story and introduced a lot to the Star Wars galaxy that had not been seen before so despite their flaws, I still think they are enjoyable. This trilogy is simply boring.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This trilogy is simply boring.
The Disney trilogy is bafflingly weird.

THE FORCE AWAKENS was just A NEW HOPE with a rewrite. Not a bad movie exactly, but it seems like a faded carbon copy.

THE LAST JEDI is bad in a way like I have never seen before. It is a competently made film. Rian Johnson obviously knows how to direct a movie with a beginning, middle, and end. But he seemed to take most of the key ingredients of what made STAR WARS special and beloved, and he decided to squat and take a dump on them. He also doesn't seem to know how to make a movie that exists within a framework established by others. Playing in the same sandbox as others requires a certain mindset that Rian John obviously does not have. He needs to stick to doing his own thing.

RISE OF SKYWALKER is bad in a very weird way. The actors are all obviously trying their best, with the possible exception of Oscar Isaac. Isaac is a great actor, but there were several scenes in the movie where it seemed to me like Isaac knew he was standing knee deep in a dumpster fire and just phoned it in. But Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are great, even when the script isn't. But the pacing is all over the place, the quest is silly, problem/solutions seemingly invented at random, and the plot is entirely devoid of all logic. It's almost like Abrams filmed seven movies, one of which might have been good, then chopped into 79 pieces and reassembled at random. It is one of the most inept, messy movies I have ever seen.

Buy hey, the music is great, and the cinematography pretty good. There are some truly lovely shots in the movie. But they are kinda like lipstick on a pig.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:16 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I just saw it. Good movie. Interesting surprises.

Pretty typical for Star Wars.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
What's baffling to fans is before Disney took over, there has been tons of material covered in Clone Wars the animated series. They just threw away most of the original material and started a brand new saga based on the SW universe but a completely different interpretation. So from Eps 7-9 you have what is a new rewrite, not an authentic story based on the original timeline of sequence. I don't care whether you enjoyed or hate the movies so far did not serialized any of the past material correctly.

I personally don't care about Rey or Ben, they are both very flawed characters poorly developed. We know their inner conflicts but it was just so predictably weak compared to Luke's story. Even if Rey was more gifted than any Jedi, it made very little sense how in very little time that she unlocked her superhero side quicker than Neo discovered he was the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies