Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,626,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Lucas is actually a really good director. But he cannot write. He's great at conceiving story ideas, but when it comes to characterization, plotting, and dialogue, the man needs serious help. Ep. IV (STAR WARS: A New Hope) is probably the best thing he ever wrote --- and even its most ardent fans (of which I am one) will admit a lot of the dialogue is pretty horrible.

American Graffiti is a great movie due to the direction of George Lucas, the story idea of George Lucas, and the script by Gloria Katz and William Huyck.

Lucas conceived the story for THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, but it was partially written by Leigh Brackett and substantially written and rewritten by Lawrence Kasdan. Lucas did not direct.

He did indeed write and direct all 3 prequels, and I don't know any sane or sober person who thinks they are well-written. They do have their virtues, but the writing is not one of them.

Lucas did actually start conceiving the sequel trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII, and IX), and what little I have read of them makes me think they certainly had their problems but were not the copycat Ep. VII or train wreck Ep. VIII we got. All in all, I would have preferred Lucas stayed onboard to at least guide the overall story, if not write the actual script.
The direction sucked, too. Sorry, it's true. Think about it: He hadn't directed a movie in 22 years before those. The principal actors look bored much of the time. SamJack can play it straight without hamming it up: look at the recent The Legend of Tarzan. But in the Prequels, he looks bored 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:18 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The direction sucked, too. Sorry, it's true. Think about it: He hadn't directed a movie in 22 years before those. The principal actors look bored much of the time. SamJack can play it straight without hamming it up: look at the recent The Legend of Tarzan. But in the Prequels, he looks bored 90% of the time.
I still say that is a weakness that begins in the writing. And Lucas was NEVER good at working with actors. He knows visuals. He knows cameras, framing, editing, etc. But when it comes to giving actors direction, all of the original cast agreed that the only thing George really said is, "Faster. More intense."

The best directing in the world cannot rescue a bad script. The prequels had bad scripts.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM

29,520 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
second time I've seen this picture, I finally get it now. Absolutely brilliant !

Old 05-05-2019, 01:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,626,473 times
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/st...11741832290304

Old 05-05-2019, 09:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not only that, but the prequels contradict a number of things established in the OT. Lucas clearly didn't bother ensuring the movies flowed well with the OT.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:00 PM

17,313 posts, read 12,274,817 times
In the new poster, am I the only one who sees that as Skywalker’s face in the background, not Palpatine? The nose looks much more like Skywalker’s.
https://www.starwars.com/news/d23-ex...oster-revealed

Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
I loved all the episodes and look forward to "The Rise of Skywalker".

Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Eeek. This does not bode well. Horrible dialogue aside, there is an unwritten rule of cinema to which there are very few exceptions: Any movie with dune buggies will suck. See MEGA FORCE, STAR TREK: NEMESIS, THE MILLION DOLLAR DUCK.

So apparently in this grand tradition, THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is giving us stormtroopers in dune buggies. I have a bad feeling about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 11-27-2019, 03:15 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,053,839 times
The "magic" is lost with the new movies...or maybe I'm just getting old....IDK....most movies today suck for me. Joker was good though.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:19 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,559,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
The "magic" is lost with the new movies...or maybe I'm just getting old....IDK....most movies today suck for me. Joker was good though.
Same for me. I feel like I don't know or care about the new characters and they are just doing the same things as the old ones.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery but all the new movies are is someone trying to imitate the old ones but not really understanding what made them great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies