Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 03:10 AM

24,609 posts, read 9,446,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm sure their agents are salivating over what they'll be able to negotiate for the sequels.
They’ll still be underpaid. Terrance Howard wanted more money for his role and Marvel kicked him to the curve. If anything, rich white Marvel execs will say black panther made those actors and not the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You will have to say that about everything else besides movies then.
I don’t have to do anything. Facts are facts. Adjust the ranking with inflation and you’ll get a more accurate picture. Not that BP will matter when the upcoming Avengers blows it out the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:29 AM

406 posts, read 288,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
*Hasn't been adjusted for inflation

Sorry, if a ranking isn't adjusted for inflation, it doesn't count.
(Yawns) the industry measuring stick has always been in unadjusted grosses.

Adjusting for inflation isn't necessarily corrective or perfect, considering less people go to the movies now compared to then, ticket prices have risen faster than inflation, the emergence of Netflix and other streaming/on-demand platforms, internet and online piracy, home video, etc.

Quote:
Not that BP will matter when the upcoming Avengers blows it out the water.
Perhaps Infinity War will get a Black Panther boost. Will it be Black Panther 1.25, since Wakanda and Wakandans are featured so prominently in the film. This might surprise you, but no one cares if Infinity War bests BP in domestic and or foreign grosses, that was never the point of celebrating the film and its performance.

Last edited by the happy guy; 04-10-2018 at 05:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 05:26 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm sure their agents are salivating over what they'll be able to negotiate for the sequels.
That's how it works. Chris Hemsworth only got $300,000 for the first Thor movie. What an actor's agent can negotiate is based on how much the actor made their last producer.

After the lesson of the initial Star Wars movie--yes, that far back, if the agents for those actors who were already decently established couldn't bargain for even the tiniest cut of profits, they need to find new agents.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
Quote:
They’ll still be underpaid. Terrance Howard wanted more money for his role and Marvel kicked him to the curve. If anything, rich white Marvel execs will say black panther made those actors and not the other way around.

I don’t have to do anything. Facts are facts. Adjust the ranking with inflation and you’ll get a more accurate picture. Not that BP will matter when the upcoming Avengers blows it out the water.
It will and always be a “game changer†in the movie industry though. You just seem to be slyly trying to undermine the success of BP. BP is a big part of the Avengers and the entire MCU as a whole.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 PM

525 posts, read 279,235 times
Black Panther now has the bronze medal for highest grossing film in US and Canada alone. Even more than Titanic. Nonetheless, I don't expect it to catch Avatar or Force Awakens.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:51 PM

777 posts, read 881,112 times
Worldwide Black Panther is the 10th highest grossing
film of all time. Titanic made approx. 2.2 billion dollars
internationally.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
So, I just saw this movie a few days ago. After hearing the massive hype behind it, after hearing many of my peers being super excited about it, even the ones that DO NOT watch super hero movies and pretty much not at all interested in that genre, and after one of my co-workers not shutting up about it and constantly asking me everyday "Have you seen Black Panther yet?", I finally saw the movie.

And my verdict is: It's a fine film but I feel its also highly overrated.

In my opinion its just another super hero movie. Now, I've always thought Black Panther was/is a cool character and the whole story behind it is very good if you read the comics. I enjoyed the movie but I just don't think it's this huge monumental, "must see" of a movie. I simply don't think its as deep as so many people are making it out to be.

Now, I really don't care that it takes place in Africa and 90% of the cast are Black. In fact, its obviously many of the things that make the comic unique and what I really enjoy about the Black Panther. Not so much that its Black people and Africa (though its apart of it) but the whole story is definitely very good and intriguing.

Now this is not a riff on the movie itself but I feel that certain individuals just "love" the movie because the simple fact that its African and majority Black cast. For example, my best friend is NOT into comics WHATSOEVER. She knows nothing about nothing of comics, super hero movies, Marvel, DC, none of it. In fact she sort of detest them because she feels like every month there's a new cliche super hero movie. However, she "had" to go out and see Black Panther and of course she now loves it and thinks Black Panther is one of the most pivotal movies to date, Black Panther is one of the most important super hero characters, etc, etc. Yet she knows NOTHING about Blade (who's Black), Spawn (who's Black) and other Black comic book super heroes. And that's what bothers me, is that she is simply enthralled by Black Panther just because of the race of people. And there's many others like her who are only into the movie simply because the race.

I can understand it can certainly be inspirational for Black people and I don't have an issue with that. I just think it's cheesy that some people are liking the movie simply because of the race.

Other than that, I just though the movie was fine. I thought the villain (Killmonger) was the best part of the movie and the most compelling character, I thought the plot was slow at times, I thought it was visually very nice and impressive, I loved the fusion of the African culture in the movie and the music was pretty good. Overall its fine to me but nothing that's "a must see".

Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure what you mean by "modern day," but Blade (Marvel) had a successful trilogy relatively recently (early 2000s) and Spawn was also a really popular, successful film (late 90s). Those are just 2 I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm missing. I find it kind of strange how much people seem to think and are harping on the fact that this is the first black superhero film. I'm hyped about it because Black Panther has been an awesome character in the MCU and I'm pumped he's getting his own film. I just don't understand all the race-related hype, especially given that there have been successful big screen black superhero films in the past.
My sentiments exactly. I just think Black Panther is a really cool character with a really cool story all its own deserving of its own movie. I understand the race playing a part to an extent but I definitely think its been blown out of proportion and people are totally over reacting. Like another poster mentioned, there's been Blade who's Black had a very successful trilogy. Spawn did well too. The original Blade came out in the late 90's and I remember people loved the movie because it was a lot of fun and just kicked butt. The fact that Blade was Black wasn't even a thing. He was just a really cool character and the movies were just a lot of fun (the 3rd Blade I didn't care about but that besides the point).

Either way, I'm glad BP has finally had its own movie and its great to see how successful it is but the hyperbole around it is over-the-top in my opinion.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Finally watched it last night it was good but listening to all the hype I expected more. Same thing for Jurassic Park heard and read all the hype and meh.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Finally watched it last night it was good but listening to all the hype I expected more. Same thing for Jurassic Park heard and read all the hype and meh.
To be fair, the third act does take a dip, and there are a lot of similarities to The Dark Knight Rises and Ragnarok (same plot structure).

(The very last fight wasn't scripted well, either. Too gimmicky.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies