Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"Unlike WW...BP is expected to be good."

Nobody else will say it, so I will, Pt. 1: for all the flak Gal Gadot sustained before the release of Wonder Woman, she shocked naysayers with her warm, spirited portrayal.
True. I personally didn't have anything negative to say about Gal Gadot. I'd only seen her before in "Keeping Up with the Jones," and I thought she was charismatic, and could handle action. But I didn't know whether or not she could pull off Wonder Woman. Honestly, though, it only took about five minutes seeing her on the screen to give me confidence that she'd do okay.

Quote:
Nobody else will say it, so I will, Pt. 2: for all the flak Henry Cavill continues to sustain for his portrayal of Kal-el, Boseman's T'Challa is no less stoic.

Anyone agree?
Cavill's portrayal of Kal-el needed more fleshing-out to be credible. Everyone knows Superman and knows the demeanor of his character--it hasn't appreciably changed since George Reeves.

I understand the concept of what they wanted to do with Kal-el in this movie, but they didn't build it in his first-act origin story, and he acted it with a weird uneveness.

T'Challa's stoic tribal chief is exactly what we expected--it wasn't any different from a thousand other movie "tribal chiefs." Stereotypical "noble savage" and all that. Boseman could have taken his notes from Michael Ansara's "Cochise" (if you don't know the name, Ansara also played the Klingon "Kang" in TOS...another "noble savage" role).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 06:03 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,630,365 times
Who doesn't know who Michael Ansara (R.I.P.) is? If you don't, get off this forum!

T'Challa was a little too one-note. Jordan/E.K. stole every scene they were in together, and then some. That went for most of the cast, honestly.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 PM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Fifth weekend estimates are in. Still number one in the US. Besting Tomb Raider by a scant $4 million with Black Panther holding a better per screen average. In the run up to Holy Week, I Can Only Imagine, the story of a Christian song had the best per screen average.

$605 million US, $577 million outside the US.

Box Office Mojo

Old 03-18-2018, 08:36 PM

I have to admit that while I enjoyed Black Panther, I don't really see why so many other people do.

Except for the Chinese and, it appears, the Japanese.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,566,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have to admit that while I enjoyed Black Panther, I don't really see why so many other people do.

Huh? That's like saying that you enjoyed the ribeye from Ruth's Chris...you really don't understand why so many other people would like it too.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Huh? That's like saying that you enjoyed the ribeye from Ruth's Chris...you really don't understand why so many other people would like it too.
It's more like saying I like chitterlings.

Now, I know why I like chitterlings and why certain other people raised in the same background as mine like chitterlings. But to be accurate, I only like chitterlings if my mother prepared them...and she's dead now...so do I really like chitterlings?

That's because I'm aware my reasons for like Black Panther are based on a particular acquired taste that I know is not universal.

That said, I think it's definitely worth discussion why different people like it, to somewhat more depth than "it's a good comic book movie."

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-19-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
I think it's definitely worth discussion why different people like it, to somewhat more depth than "it's a good comic book movie."
Agreed. I liked the movie. I'll watch it again on DVD. But is it a classic? Is it even Marvel's best movie? No and no. I'm glad it was a hit. I hope there is a worthy sequel. But I'm a little baffled why it is such a monster hit.

But maybe I'm just old and out of touch with the zeitgeist. I still don't understand why Titanic was such a hit, and I absolutely hated The Matrix.

Is it possible Mr. Hand was right after all?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:

Why is one singer better than another? Because he/she make us feel better about ourselves, being on the right side of history as it where.

Black Panther is a cultural political event showing the changing attitudes of a young generation and transcending a kid's superhero movie for the extended audience. As such the question was are the Chinese behind the Americans and Europeans in those changes. Thus the speculation was that Chinese disinterest in the political force multiplier would limit the book office.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times
Quote:

Yeah, the film had a HUGE drop (88%) in the second week in China. Tomb Raider beat it soundly at the Chinese box office (which is the second largest to us, in the world). Here (in the US), BP beat out Tomb Raider even in its 5th week. Although the actual film ratings in China are above average (between 6-7/10). It's just not viewed as anything "epic" over there. I also saw some YouTube clips at a premier in China where most of the fans had positive reviews, although the numbers don't lie.

It just goes to show that people resonate with different things. The critiques I read were that they found it was drowned down in the political issues, rather than focusing on pure action (the way Thor Ragnorak or other Marvel films do). Those same political issues are why so many people here (and even in this thread) have pointed to the movie being epic (and being more than just a movie).

It goes to show that people have different views....so you are correct when you mention that you don't see why many other people like it.

There are definitely some (like the Chinese), as you point out, who didn't like it all that much (at least on the scale that most other countries fans did). And that is their right. Can't please everyone.

The majority of world already spoke with the box office numbers that they really liked it, so I don't understand why people are still analyzing (and questioning) why someone didn't like it or how much money it made in this country or that country. It was a worldwide (overall) success. All the deep analyses seem redundant at this point.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:15 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,056,145 times
Quote:
It's more like saying I like chitterlings.

Now, I know why I like chitterlings and why certain other people raised in the same background as mine like chitterlings. But to be accurate, I only like chitterlings if my mother prepared them...and she's dead now...so do I really like chitterlings?

That's because I'm aware my reasons for like Black Panther are based on a particular acquired taste that I know is not universal.

That said, I think it's definitely worth discussion why different people like it, to somewhat more depth than "it's a good comic book movie."
It’s “chitlins”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies