Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Don't forget--China was colonized in the early part of last century...and by darned near every nation in Europe at that. So they are aware of that theme.

I think the real problem (which I mentioned before the movie opened in China) is that politics in movies is simply an uneasy subject in China. China is still an authoritarian Communist nation with president-for-life leadership.
Politics in what sense? Wonder Woman, which obviously had a different kind of political tilt (if it falls into the definition of "politics"), did well in China and was highly praised. I couldn't find any negative press. I'm sure the gender issues in an authoritarian communist nation would be a little uncomfortable with that subject too. So how is politics the real issue behind the luke-warm reception in China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Finally saw it. A complete bore. All gaudy, garish spectacle, with nothing going on except violence.

I saw director Ryan Coogler interviewed, and he seemed shallow and inarticulate, so wasn't surprised to see he was co-screenwriter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Pretentious post. I pictured a British guy with the stach and monocle. "A complete bore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You obviously didn't pay attention...
I think the review is off to say that nothing was going on except violence. But the complete bore is a matter of personal opinion. I still don't get why people get so defensive and offended when others don't like this movie. Whether it's China or an individual poster. And this is coming from someone who loved the movie. There will be people who dislike every movie for their own personal reasons.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,053,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think the review is off to say that nothing was going on except violence. But the complete bore is a matter of personal opinion. I still don't get why people get so defensive and offended when others don't like this movie. Whether it's China or an individual poster. And this is coming from someone who loved the movie. There will be people who dislike every movie for their own personal reasons.
That’s true. But when the overall consensus (90% positive) of a movie is excellent or good, you can’t help to question one’s personal dislike for it. But to each his own.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:51 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,053,238 times
Quote:
Politics in what sense? Wonder Woman, which obviously had a different kind of political tilt (if it falls into the definition of "politics"), did well in China and was highly praised. I couldn't find any negative press. I'm sure the gender issues in an authoritarian communist nation would be a little uncomfortable with that subject too. So how is politics the real issue behind the luke-warm reception in China?
IMO, the political themes in BP had little to do with China’s like-warm reception. I think most people with common sense knows what the “elephant in the room” in this situation is.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
IMO, the political themes in BP had little to do with China’s like-warm reception. I think most people with common sense knows what the “elephant in the room” in this situation is.
It's got to be one or the other for such a significant difference. I'm willing to go with either.

With regard to the politics:

Twelve years ago, my daughter spent the summer after her high school senior year in Seoul for an international student program. Her room mate was a girl from Beijing.

When the Chinese girl first learned that my daughter was entering a college political science program, she was awed: "You are allowed to study politics?" But when the girl found out my daughter's father was retired military, she said, "Oh, that's why, then."

Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,102 times
Quote:
Context my brother. I'm not worried about him finding the movie boring. I'm amused at his use of "A complete bore" as if he's trying to channel William Shakespeare to give more bite to his "mildly scathing critique so eloquently transfigured into an ungainly dictum!" Most people would have just said it was boring.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,989,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Fifth weekend estimates are in. Still number one in the US. Besting Tomb Raider by a scant $4 million with Black Panther holding a better per screen average. In the run up to Holy Week, I Can Only Imagine, the story of a Christian song had the best per screen average.

$605 million US, $577 million outside the US.

Box Office Mojo
And the count is on to see if Black Panther will match or surpass the current United States domestic champ: The Avengers at $623,357,910:

Marvel's The Avengers (2012) - Box Office Mojo

All Time Domestic Box Office Results

However, even if it does match or surpass The Avengers, it may still have to contend with The Avengers: Infinity War, which recently smashed Black Panther's record for advanced ticket sales for "fastest-selling superhero movie."

'Avengers: Infinity War' Smashed Ticket Sales Record In 6 Hours

But then, some fans could contend that the reason why TA:IW broke BP's record was because of the recent new and final trailer of TA:IW which shows some new and really hot scenes of the Black Panther and his people, along with Wakanda. I mean, think about it folks.

Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwievZ1Tx-8

Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,989,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Why is one singer better than another? Because he/she make us feel better about ourselves, being on the right side of history as it where.

Black Panther is a cultural political event showing the changing attitudes of a young generation and transcending a kid's superhero movie for the extended audience. As such the question was are the Chinese behind the Americans and Europeans in those changes. Thus the speculation was that Chinese disinterest in the political force multiplier would limit the book office.
Excellent post, Taiko, although I'm not sure if I agree with the singer analogy, however, I thought that the rest of what you said was right on.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:13 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#cf8082c566a6

'Black Panther' Should Terrify Every Hollywood Studio

The article reads as though Black Panther is a street mugger.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's got to be one or the other for such a significant difference. I'm willing to go with either.

With regard to the politics:

Twelve years ago, my daughter spent the summer after her high school senior year in Seoul for an international student program. Her room mate was a girl from Beijing.

When the Chinese girl first learned that my daughter was entering a college political science program, she was awed: "You are allowed to study politics?" But when the girl found out my daughter's father was retired military, she said, "Oh, that's why, then."
This article seems to speak best on the Chinese response to Black Panther. It’s not really politics per se, but a different cultural view on Race that has been influenced by Hollywood.

https://quartzy.qz.com/1231764/the-s...ther-in-china/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies