Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
It’s “chitlins”.
Well, that's how it's pronounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,064,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, that's how it's pronounced.
Lol...yeah

Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,569,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, the film had a HUGE drop (88%) in the second week in China. Tomb Raider beat it soundly at the Chinese box office (which is the second largest to us, in the world). Here (in the US), BP beat out Tomb Raider even in its 5th week. Although the actual film ratings in China are above average (between 6-7/10). It's just not viewed as anything "epic" over there. I also saw some YouTube clips at a premier in China where most of the fans had positive reviews, although the numbers don't lie.

It just goes to show that people resonate with different things. The critiques I read were that they found it was drowned down in the political issues, rather than focusing on pure action (the way Thor Ragnorak or other Marvel films do). Those same political issues are why so many people here (and even in this thread) have pointed to the movie being epic (and being more than just a movie).

It goes to show that people have different views....so you are correct when you mention that you don't see why many other people like it.

There are definitely some (like the Chinese), as you point out, who didn't like it all that much (at least on the scale that most other countries fans did). And that is their right. Can't please everyone.

The majority of world already spoke with the box office numbers that they really liked it, so I don't understand why people are still analyzing (and questioning) why someone didn't like it or how much money it made in this country or that country. It was a worldwide (overall) success. All the deep analyses seem redundant at this point.
I just don't think that the the majority of the Chinese were unaware of the character...I mean, the political theme has always been a part of it (the colonial subject).

Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,915,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I just don't think that the the majority of the Chinese were unaware of the character...I mean, the political theme has always been a part of it (the colonial subject).
I don't know if I fully agree with that, or if it is just that simple explanation. Other countries were also unaware of the history of the character and political themes too, and the movie had great success in many other countries (and got more rave reviews than in China).

It may be true to an extent, but I think it is more that, that type of subject is probably not as important to them from a cultural standpoint. While it is very important to others (particularly Africans and African Americans, and other cultures worldwide).

So even if the Chinese, were aware of the character and the political themes that have always been a part of Black Panther, the topic still probably would not resonate with them as much. Most other countries (and fans in general worldwide) were unaware of the details of the character and the political theme that has always been a part of if (colonial subject), and they still loved it whereas the Chinese didn't love it as much (I think the overall conclusion in China is that to them it was probably viewed as a 'good' movie, but it sounds like they don't understand all the hype).

It's just the classic case of not everybody will like everything (there will always be critics).

Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I fully agree with that, or if it is just that simple explanation. Other countries were also unaware of the history of the character and political themes too, and the movie had great success in many other countries (and got more rave reviews than in China).

It may be true to an extent, but I think it is more that, that type of subject is probably not as important to them from a cultural standpoint. While it is very important to others (particularly Africans and African Americans, and other cultures worldwide).

So even if the Chinese, were aware of the character and the political themes that have always been a part of Black Panther, the topic still probably would not resonate with them as much. Most other countries (and fans in general worldwide) were unaware of the details of the character and the political theme that has always been a part of if (colonial subject), and they still loved it whereas the Chinese didn't love it as much (I think the overall conclusion in China is that to them it was probably viewed as a 'good' movie, but it sounds like they don't understand all the hype).

It's just the classic case of not everybody will like everything (there will always be critics).
Of course not everyone will like it...I don't expect that. I just chalk it up to it not being China Centric. I say that because I read an article by an American of Chinese descent who mentioned how the Chinese were bored with the movie and some even wondered why it was shot in Korea as opposed to China. I just found the headlines interesting, that's all.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:

Don't forget--China was colonized in the early part of last century...and by darned near every nation in Europe at that. So they are aware of that theme.

I think the real problem (which I mentioned before the movie opened in China) is that politics in movies is simply an uneasy subject in China. China is still an authoritarian Communist nation with president-for-life leadership.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,889,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That said, I think it's definitely worth discussion why different people like it, to somewhat more depth than "it's a good comic book movie."
What I like most, I think (besides that it was just a generally well-constructed, well-acted movie overall) is that it has a fresh setting and cast of characters. It hit enough of the standard action/superhero movie beats to be what's enjoyable about the genre, but it moved the story out of the same old locations and same old conflicts and characters who have been rebooted and sequeled and prequeled to death. Two of my favorite Marvel Universe movies are the Guardians of the Galaxy pair, for similar reasons. They also really nailed making the supporting characters iconic without being cliched, I think, and cast some extremely charismatic actors that are just fun to watch.

They also avoided a lot of the things that take me out of action movies when I see them, like filming women's fight scenes in oogling way, shoehorning in a forced romance (usually with a damsel in distress), having the plot depend on characters misunderstanding one another or forgetting that they have, you know, cell phones, villains whose only motivation is MWAHAHA, that sort of thing.

Anyway, I think it was both objectively good, and also I personally enjoyed it.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,158,378 times
Finally saw it. A complete bore. All gaudy, garish spectacle, with nothing going on except violence.

I saw director Ryan Coogler interviewed, and he seemed shallow and inarticulate, so wasn't surprised to see he was co-screenwriter.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Finally saw it. A complete bore. All gaudy, garish spectacle, with nothing going on except violence.

I saw director Ryan Coogler interviewed, and he seemed shallow and inarticulate, so wasn't surprised to see he was co-screenwriter.
Pretentious post. I pictured a British guy with the stach and monocle. "A complete bore"

Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,064,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

You obviously didn't pay attention...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies