Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 02:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times

Advertisements

So there would be no controversy even contrived about an American playing James Bond ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
It doesnt make sense to me since these are American movies.
Hollywood is in the global business now. They aren't just selling to the US. They make a TON of money overseas as well.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Wonder Women, Superman, Star Wars, MLK are all AMERICAN heroes and movies. It doesnt matter where it is filmed.
But they're going to pull in BIG BUCKS all over the world.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
So there would be no controversy even contrived about an American playing James Bond ?
Not if his Scottish accent is impeccable.

The point is this: Who shows up for the auditions and are they the best?

If Brits are showing up in Hollywood auditions and giving stunning performances, they're going to get jobs.

If Americans are not showing up to London auditions, they're not going to get jobs.

Now, we can question why Americans are not showing up to London auditions in the numbers that Brits are showing up at Hollywood auditions, and I suspect we'll find the answers are many.

Certainly a big reason is that there are nearly 1,000 movies a year released in the US, and I suspect only a fraction of that many in the UK (there are certainly more US television pilots being produced than in the UK).

Old 06-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Look, no one made a fuss or even batted an eye when Robert Downey Jr played Sherlock Holmes, same with Merryl Streep playing Maggie Thatcher.

EXACTLY.

Or Renee Zellweger (Bridget Jones), Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love), Reese Whitherspoon (Vanity Fair), Anne Hathaway (Becoming Jane, later playing French in Les Mis), Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins, for a throwback example), Maggie Gyllenhaal (starred in "The Honourable Woman", a BBC show)

Where's the outrage over American actors playing British roles?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
EXACTLY.

Or Renee Zellweger (Bridget Jones), Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love), Reese Whitherspoon (Vanity Fair), Anne Hathaway (Becoming Jane, later playing French in Les Mis), Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins, for a throwback example), Maggie Gyllenhaal (starred in "The Honourable Woman", a BBC show)

Where's the outrage over American actors playing British roles?
I do protest (outrage unnecessary) Dick Van Dyke's portrayal.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Two actors (I can think of off the top of my head) that seemed a bit "off" portraying US central characters were Charles Hunnam in Sons of Anarchy and Alicia Vikander in the recent Jason Bourne movie.

I originally didn't know either were foreign but sounded "off" when speaking in character. Charles got better during the series, but Alicia still has some practice to work on.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:25 AM

473 posts, read 307,788 times
I was suprised how almost all actors in Hollywood are from other countries than from America? Also singers and models and.. It is a big world.. Now when Asia bought Hollywood there will be more Asians I guess..

Old 06-10-2017, 02:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
EXACTLY.

Or Charlton Heston as General Gordan in "Khartoum."

Of course Heston also played Italians in "The Agony and the Ecstasy" and "Julius Caesar", and Hebrews in "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur"

Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Australian played him, I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Irishman played him so why would you expect there to be 'controversy' if an American actor played him? Perhaps the British aren't quite so xenophobic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies