Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,094,795 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I went to a local theatre with my kids to see a Pantomime, Peter Pan, and I was delighted to see that somebody I used to see on TV as a boy (Starsky from the original Starsky and Hutch) was playing the kids (English) father and Captain Hook in the production :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,517,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_kirk View Post
you guys are missing the point. They're foreigners!

First it's our movies; then it's our wives.
lol

Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,046,787 times
Yes, I've also noticed that Hollywood is chock full of Brits and Aussies mostly. Batman, Superman, Thor, Spiderman, etc. All Brits or Aussies. If you say anything people will think your being nativist but in reality if the same were happening in the UK or Australia there would be a similar reaction.

What if Dr. Who, James Bond, and the Avengers (the 60s show) were all played by Americans? Sherlock Holmes is the only one so far, but if this trend continued I bet some Brits would say, "hey hold on a minute".

Old 06-07-2017, 08:32 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes, I've also noticed that Hollywood is chock full of Brits and Aussies mostly. Batman, Superman, Thor, Spiderman, etc. All Brits or Aussies. If you say anything people will think your being nativist but in reality if the same were happening in the UK or Australia there would be a similar reaction.

What if Dr. Who, James Bond, and the Avengers (the 60s show) were all played by Americans? Sherlock Holmes is the only one so far, but if this trend continued I bet some Brits would say, "hey hold on a minute".
The point has been made earlier that CANUKAUS actors have always been frequently in Hollywood productions...and that was even when the productions were totally made in Hollywood for a purely American audience.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,094,795 times
Quote:

James Bond has been played twice by 'foreigners' I believe?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think so. The producers have been pretty sancrosect about keeping the Bond actors British...although the only Bond of the correct specific ethnic group (Scottish) was Connery.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Irish Brosnon was I believe is the only real foreign Bond. The rest were Brits.

Now honestly, wouldn't Brits say something if all of a sudden Americans started playing all these classically British roles? All in a span of decade?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The point has been made earlier that CANUKAUS actors have always been frequently in Hollywood productions...and that was even when the productions were totally made in Hollywood for a purely American audience.
Yes, I know that Brits have always been in the industry. But they never dominated the industry. Seriously, we have black American actors being replaced by British black actors and even Samuel L. Jackson had to say something about that.

In every movie even set remotely in a small Ohio farm town, there will be some British sidekick for comical relief. I could see Ricky Gervais starring in a movie about an old Depression era farmboy riding out the Dust Bowl. They'll stick an English person in there somehow. And I am not talking about an English playing an American but a full blown English character. LOL.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,930,925 times
The appropriate term is 'furriners'.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Irish Brosnon was I believe is the only real foreign Bond. The rest were Brits.

Now honestly, wouldn't Brits say something if all of a sudden Americans started playing all these classically British roles? All in a span of decade?
Brosnan, okay...although he had been doing UK productions for some time before Bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies