Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Rogue One, Wonder Woman, Force Awakens, and Prometheus were filmed, in part (if not mostly) in the UK. It would make sense to have british actors.
Exactly.

When it comes to lead roles, movies go through a VERY intensive casting process. They pick the best person for the role. If that person is British, them's the breaks. Daisy Ridley got the lead in TFA because she was the best person for the role. Felicity Jones got the lead in Rogue One because she was the best person for the role. Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman because it is the part she was born to play.

When it comes to extras or secondary characters, it is simply cost effective to cast locals rather than pay people to come in from other countries. If you're filming in the UK, you're going to get locals.

George R.R. Martin actually commented on this a couple of years ago when people were up in arms over all the slaves in GAME OF THRONES being dark-skinned. He rightly replied, "Well, the show is filmed in North Africa, so when we put out a casting call for extras, unfortunately, not many Swedes showed up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Yes dominating. Some of the biggest movies and tv shows out have foreign actors.

Star Wars Rouge One
Wonder Women
Star Wars The Force Awakens
The Walking Dead
The 100
Prometheus

Thats just an example.
There were 729 domestic films released last year. You gave me six.

And it's already been pointed out that a film shot in several different nations, post-produced by companies from several different nations with the intention of international release and global revenue is not going to be limited to American actors. That's just silly to expect.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
NO the truth is that casting directors think British people are better actors because they're traditionally trained in the theater, and they're usually cheaper than big American stars. So they think they're getting more bang for their buck.

And I also find it surprising that Hollywood is the only industry that gets a pass on hiring more foreigners than homegrown talent.

There is a double standard and I wish there wouldn't be this knee jerk reaction that anyone who brings this up is nativist. We used to have John Stewart and now we have Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, Jeff Jefferies, and John Oliver telling Americans about their politics. Seriously, can we do that? Can I go over to the UK and tell British people how dumb they are for this or that policy decision?

I get that filming is more international now and people will hire local EXTRAS, but when it comes to American heroes or characters, if the movie is filmed in the Canada why get an Aussie? It isn't just about casting locals or the best talent for the part. I don't buy this and Americans are just as talented as Brits when it comes to acting, I just think casting directors have it in their head that Brits are just more classically trained and will cost less and can look and sound every bit as American over a more expensive American star.

Hollywood is no different than any other industry that is just trying to save on labor. Yet, no one questions them. Seriously, their industry gets away with shifty accounting, racism, sexism, underpaying, basically all the other ills that are placed on other industries they lambaste in their movies. They outsource, hire foreigners, fight with unions, and such yet they still glamorize themselves.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There were 729 domestic films released last year. You gave me six.

And it's already been pointed out that a film shot in several different nations, post-produced by companies from several different nations with the intention of international release and global revenue is not going to be limited to American actors. That's just silly to expect.
Yes, the industry is probably one of the most globalized in the world, but if they're spending oodles of money on expensive stars, which would pretty much be almost no object to them, why cast a Brit, Aussie, whatever to play the most iconic American heroes and icons from MLK Jr. to Superman? Selma was set and filmed in Alabama I believe, why not cast a local or an American?

Get Out was filmed and set in the States, a small budget, yet Samuel L Jackson was correct to point out that the part wasn't given to an African American who would've understood the struggle of being black in America a lot better than a black Brit.

It isn't about how many movies are out there but what is the most iconic and in the main. In the main, foreigners are dominating Hollywood. There is no way around this. Stop making it seem as though it's just nativist rhetoric that is putting feelings over facts.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Rogue One, Wonder Woman, Force Awakens, and Prometheus were filmed, in part (if not mostly) in the UK. It would make sense to have british actors.
It doesnt make sense to me since these are American movies.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
NO the truth is that casting directors think British people are better actors because they're traditionally trained in the theater, and they're usually cheaper than big American stars. So they think they're getting more bang for their buck.

And I also find it surprising that Hollywood is the only industry that gets a pass on hiring more foreigners than homegrown talent.

There is a double standard and I wish there wouldn't be this knee jerk reaction that anyone who brings this up is nativist. We used to have John Stewart and now we have Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, Jeff Jefferies, and John Oliver telling Americans about their politics. Seriously, can we do that? Can I go over to the UK and tell British people how dumb they are for this or that policy decision?

I get that filming is more international now and people will hire local EXTRAS, but when it comes to American heroes or characters, if the movie is filmed in the Canada why get an Aussie? It isn't just about casting locals or the best talent for the part. I don't buy this and Americans are just as talented as Brits when it comes to acting, I just think casting directors have it in their head that Brits are just more classically trained and will cost less and can look and sound every bit as American over a more expensive American star.

Hollywood is no different than any other industry that is just trying to save on labor. Yet, no one questions them. Seriously, their industry gets away with shifty accounting, racism, sexism, underpaying, basically all the other ills that are placed on other industries they lambaste in their movies. They outsource, hire foreigners, fight with unions, and such yet they still glamorize themselves.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

A. They don't. They just don't. The numbers don't show it, unless you want to cherry pick for the pictures that meet your own criteria.

B. It's not just "Hollywood" anymore. The top motion pictures are international productions both before and behind the cameras.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Look, no one made a fuss or even batted an eye when Robert Downey Jr played Sherlock Holmes, same with Merryl Streep playing Maggie Thatcher. Didn't happen because people expect the role to go to the best actor, right. Well lets just say that all of a sudden on UK TV there were six new television hosts, five of which are political and start talking about UK politics as if they've lived in the country their whole lives and told half of all Brits that they're stupid and racist?

Then after Holmes and Thatcher were played by Americans you'd have Captain Britain, James Bond, The Avengers, Dr. Who, Sherlock Homes on TV, Winston Churchill, The Queen, nearly half of all iconic British heroes and anti-heroes and villains played by Americans.

Do you honestly think no Brit would even dare ask, "hey there are a lot of Americans in our film and tv industry, no?"

Get real. I am not even bringing this up to say it's a bad thing, just that it is a thing, and to pretend it's not must stem from some knee jerk reaction to bat away some perceived nativism.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
It doesnt make sense to me since these are American movies.
How is a movie filmed in the UK an American movie?

"Hollywood" is an international industry now, making films that are intended to appeal to a broad international audience and which are financed and created by people from all over the world. Nothing coming out of any of the major studios is truly an American movie any more. To find that, you have to look past "Hollywood' and at the small studios and independent filmmakers.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A. They don't. They just don't. The numbers don't show it, unless you want to cherry pick for the pictures that meet your own criteria.

B. It's not just "Hollywood" anymore. The top motion pictures are international productions both before and behind the cameras.
So are there a lot of Americans in British or Australian tv and movies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies