Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 8,189,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Australian played him, I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Irishman played him so why would you expect there to be 'controversy' if an American actor played him? Perhaps the British aren't quite so xenophobic?
That was the 1960s, 21st century people are so much more sensitive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,056,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Pierce Brosnan wasn't the 1960's, people weren't 'up in arms' when he played the part, in fact I would suggest people were probably more perturbed about the fact that Daniel Craig is blond! (bond is described in the books as being 'dark' haired)

Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,028,073 times
Quote:
I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Australian played him, I don't remember much 'controversy' when an Irishman played him so why would you expect there to be 'controversy' if an American actor played him? Perhaps the British aren't quite so xenophobic?
Because Aussies are still commonwealth people and the Irish are still near the British Isles. It wasn't that big of a leap, but if American played Bond that might change things a bit. It would at least make headlines.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM

545 posts, read 412,623 times
Quote:
Actually 2 Americans came very close to playing James Bond:

John Gavin in 1971 and James Brolin in 1983 were technically cast in the part, but never got to strap on the Walther because Sean Connery and Roger Moore both decided not to retire at the last moment (for Diamonds Are Forever and Octopussy, respectively).

Old 06-15-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Because Aussies are still commonwealth people and the Irish are still near the British Isles. It wasn't that big of a leap, but if American played Bond that might change things a bit. It would at least make headlines.
What difference does commonwealth make? The US and the UK are both in NATO or part of the G7 groupe does that make a difference? Australians are equally as 'foreign' as Americans and for that matter so are the Irish. France is also near the British Isles but they are foreign too.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 AM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
What difference does commonwealth make? The US and the UK are both in NATO or part of the G7 groupe does that make a difference? Australians are equally as 'foreign' as Americans and for that matter so are the Irish. France is also near the British Isles but they are foreign too.
Well, they have a picture of the Queen of England on their money, for one, which bespeaks quite a deeper relationship than the UK has with the US, so they're not "equally foreign as Americans." I doubt any Australian would say that.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, they have a picture of the Queen of England on their money, for one, which bespeaks quite a deeper relationship than the UK has with the US, so they're not "equally foreign as Americans." I doubt any Australian would say that.
Not equally as 'foreign' because of a picture on a bank note? Perhaps in the US they are 'less foreign' because they live closer or because they watch more British TV (I'm not sure there's a BBC Australia)? Perhaps the French are practically British because they live next door or perhaps they are 'more foreign' because they don't speak the English language? Nope I believe you are all simply 'foreign' because you all live in your own self governed countries. The reality is that George Lazenby is as foreign as Tom Cruise, and the British were most certainly not up in arms because James Bond was played by a foreign man.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,837,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The 1960s?

You mean, the same 1960s television universe in which one the Rob and Laura Petries slept in different beds (can't imply that married folks might have sex), in which gays did not exist, and where an interracial kiss on Stark Trek prompted stations (mostly in the South) to refuse to air the episode?

Yeah, those were sure some sensitivity-free times...

Old 06-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The 1960s?

You mean, the same 1960s television universe in which one the Rob and Laura Petries slept in different beds (can't imply that married folks might have sex), in which gays did not exist, and where an interracial kiss on Stark Trek prompted stations (mostly in the South) to refuse to air the episode?

Yeah, those were sure some sensitivity-free times...
But Desi and Lucy slept in one bed...and Lucy even got pregnant. 'Course, Desi was Latino....

Back in those days, I actually did believe that married couples sleeping in separate beds was something white people did.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Not equally as 'foreign' because of a picture on a bank note? Perhaps in the US they are 'less foreign' because they live closer or because they watch more British TV (I'm not sure there's a BBC Australia)? Perhaps the French are practically British because they live next door or perhaps they are 'more foreign' because they don't speak the English language? Nope I believe you are all simply 'foreign' because you all live in your own self governed countries. The reality is that George Lazenby is as foreign as Tom Cruise, and the British were most certainly not up in arms because James Bond was played by a foreign man.

What a nation puts on its currency tells a great deal about how they think of themselves as a nation.

No, they do not consider themselves as "foreign" with each other as they consider the US. That's why they are a "commonwealth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies