Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 11:40 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,383,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm honestly not sure where adapting a show from such iconic material, particularly when retaining some aspect of the original, such as last name, would fall on the scale of appropriation, etc., but it seems to me that if casting non-Americans in an American product is worthy of scorn, this should at least fall somewhere on the scale.
Appropriation isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it is often a good thing. It's been going on for decades in film and for centuries in culture. Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI has been re-made and re-cultured more times than I can remember, from Old West gunfighters to CGI bugs.

Shakespeare "appropriated" some of his best plays from other culture's histories, mythologies, etc.

The Romans "appropriated" from the Etruscans and Greeks. The Greeks "appropriated" from the Persians. The Persians "appropriated" from the Indians. Ad infinitum.

Just give credit where credit is due and keep the good stuff coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Appropriation isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it is often a good thing. It's been going on for decades in film and for centuries in culture. Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI has been re-made and re-cultured more times than I can remember, from Old West gunfighters to CGI bugs.

Shakespeare "appropriated" some of his best plays from other culture's histories, mythologies, etc.

The Romans "appropriated" from the Etruscans and Greeks. The Greeks "appropriated" from the Persians. The Persians "appropriated" from the Indians. Ad infinitum.

Just give credit where credit is due and keep the good stuff coming.
Again, I agree and I see the hiring of non-American actors to play so-called traditional American icons in much the same light.

My consideration of appropriation was just me musing over how true the OP and others feel one must/should remain to source material.
Your points definitely complicate such binary choices considerably.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But Desi and Lucy slept in one bed...and Lucy even got pregnant. 'Course, Desi was Latino....

Back in those days, I actually did believe that married couples sleeping in separate beds was something white people did.
Actually they slept in twin beds that were pushed togehter.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
While I agree with this, it wasn't the point I was responding to.
That poster and a couple of others seem to believe that country-specific material, particularly material that is considered "iconic" should only be performed by actors from said country.

I'm honestly not sure where adapting a show from such iconic material, particularly when retaining some aspect of the original, such as last name, would fall on the scale of appropriation, etc., but it seems to me that if casting non-Americans in an American product is worthy of scorn, this should at least fall somewhere on the scale.

No we are saying that American movies like Star Wars, Wonder Women, MLK etc should have American actors playing their roles. Thats like a movie about Winston Churchill being acted by someone from Israel. People would be outraged.

Do foreigners even know about or read American comics?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM

18,554 posts, read 18,839,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But Desi and Lucy slept in one bed...and Lucy even got pregnant. 'Course, Desi was Latino....

Back in those days, I actually did believe that married couples sleeping in separate beds was something white people did.
wish we did... I ve been thinking of getting bunk beds for me and the Maverick... but he cant climb and I dont want the top shelf..

Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 PM

22,956 posts, read 28,383,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
No we are saying that American movies like Star Wars, Wonder Women, MLK etc should have American actors playing their roles.
How is STAR WARS an American movie? It is set in a galaxy far, far away. It is filmed largely in England, Ireland, North Africa, etc. It is American only in the sense that it is produced by an American company.

Wonder Woman is an Amazon. Not American.

MLK definiteley an American, but I would have zero problem with a non-American portraying him, as long as he was a good actor.

Quote:
Thats like a movie about Winston Churchill being acted by someone from Israel. People would be outraged.
Nope.

Here is American John Lithgow portraying Churchill in the critically acclaimed and audience hit THE CROWN:

Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,232,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That was the 1960s, 21st century people are so much more sensitive
Yup McCarthyism, the Hayes Code and Jim Crow Laws. People sure weren't as sensitive as they are today.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
How is STAR WARS an American movie? It is set in a galaxy far, far away. It is filmed largely in England, Ireland, North Africa, etc. It is American only in the sense that it is produced by an American company.

Wonder Woman is an Amazon. Not American.

MLK definiteley an American, but I would have zero problem with a non-American portraying him, as long as he was a good actor.

Nope.

Here is American John Lithgow portraying Churchill in the critically acclaimed and audience hit THE CROWN:
Are you serious? You really need to do some research. They are American Icons and American movies smh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lucas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman

Old 06-22-2017, 02:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,232,223 times
Quote:
No we are saying that American movies like Star Wars, Wonder Women, MLK etc should have American actors playing their roles. Thats like a movie about Winston Churchill being acted by someone from Israel. People would be outraged.
It's not rocket science, people want to see good films with good stories, directing and ACTING. If a foreigner can portray an American character successfully then that's all that people care about. Studios and production companies aren't going to sacrifice quality to fulfill some jingoistic quota.
Quote:
Do foreigners even know about or read American comics?
Um... yes they do.

Henry Cavill auditioned for the role of Superman cause he is a Superman fan and a fan of American comics.

Chris Nolan did the Dark Knight films because he is a fan of Batman and other American comics.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's not rocket science, people want to see good films with good stories, directing and ACTING. If a foreigner can portray an American character successfully then that's all that people care about. Studios and production companies aren't going to sacrifice quality to fulfill some jingoistic quota.

Um... yes they do.

Henry Cavill auditioned for the role of Superman cause he is a Superman fan and a fan of American comics.

Chris Nolan did the Dark Knight films because he is a fan of Batman and other American comics.
Obviously people do care about it, otherwise I wouldn't have created this thread.

GM and Ford are global companies just like Warner Bros, Disney, Universal etc.

GM and Ford get heavily criticized for not building cars and trucks in the U.S. and the reason why people complain is because they are considered to be American companies.

Also a lot of Americans might not realize that a lot of these actors are foreigners since they speak American English in there movies and films. Once Samuel L Jackson complained about it, I did some research and discovered that he was right,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies