Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Well, it has to be an improvement over the 1962 King kong vs Godzilla movie. That thing was terrible.
Yeah, but I think you may have hit on how this remake is happening: Some studio exec with a degree in Marketing and Brand Management whose favorite movie of all time is Weekend at Bernie's looked at their Godzilla property and said, "Hey, we own the rights to both Kong and Godzilla. Someone did a Kong vs. Godzilla movie 50 years ago. We should do a Kong vs. Godzilla movie!"

I am NOT a big fan of letting the fans dictate content. But whoever is conceiving these movies ought to be someone with a true and genuine love of the genre and stories. With movies like KONG: SKULL ISLAND and KONG VS. GODZILLA being greenlit, I get the impression that the people making these decisions don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, but I think you may have hit on how this remake is happening: Some studio exec with a degree in Marketing and Brand Management whose favorite movie of all time is Weekend at Bernie's looked at their Godzilla property and said, "Hey, we own the rights to both Kong and Godzilla. Someone did a Kong vs. Godzilla movie 50 years ago. We should do a Kong vs. Godzilla movie!"
You're probably right about that.

Quote:
I am NOT a big fan of letting the fans dictate content. But whoever is conceiving these movies ought to be someone with a true and genuine love of the genre and stories. With movies like KONG: SKULL ISLAND and KONG VS. GODZILLA being greenlit, I get the impression that the people making these decisions don't have a clue.
I finally and recently watched Kong: Skull Island, but only because I found it in the $5 miscellaneous movie bin at Walmart a few weeks ago. It was okay and I liked it for what it was, but it was too much of a rewrite of the original Kong story which was basically ignored. I don't particularly feel the need to watch it a second time.

I would like to see the new Kong vs. Godzilla movie, but I'll probably wait until I find it in the cheapo movie bin at Walmart.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I finally and recently watched Kong: Skull Island, but only because I found it in the $5 miscellaneous movie bin at Walmart a few weeks ago. It was okay and I liked it for what it was, but it was too much of a rewrite of the original Kong story which was basically ignored. I don't particularly feel the need to watch it a second time.
I had much the same reaction. It's not a terrible movie. But it's not a great movie. It is meh. I saw it once and didn't hate it, but I have no desire to see it again.

The gators in LAKE PLACID should mutate and turn out to be titans so that the studio can plan the sequel: KONG VS. GODZILLA GO TO LAKE PLACID.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
The next proper Godzilla movie will no doubt feature Mechagodzilla as the primary antagonist.

You heard it here first.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The audience rating is 86%. That spells it out right there.
And while I agree with that, the problem is that the audience needs to be about 300% bigger for this to be the hit the studio wants.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Rodan's emergence from the volcano and subsequent swatting of fighter jets like gnats was instantly one of kaiju cinema's highlights — sixty-plus years' worth.

And that's exactly how it should be: Humans don't stand a chance against kaiju. Nukes are farts. That oxygen destroyer was akin to a bad sneeze. They're here, and we're effed. "Special of the day," indeed.
Not really. Godzilla was devastated and needed a nuke to revive him. Ghidorah wasn't because it is an alien. That was what I got from the oxygen destroyer.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really. Godzilla was devastated and needed a nuke to revive him. Ghidorah wasn't because it is an alien. That was what I got from the oxygen destroyer.
Godzilla did need to regenerate, but the thing didn't vaporize him, either. Think how much more advanced technology is now than it was in 1954. One nuke charge later and he was BACK. IN. ACTION.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And while I agree with that, the problem is that the audience needs to be about 300% bigger for this to be the hit the studio wants.
Which is why I added the caveat that maybe five years is indeed too long a gap. I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island for the beasties but was nowhere near as invested. They piggybacked that overgrown chimp on Godzilla's restored hype. They should have left Kong on the shelf and released KotM in 2017.

As I said, studio suit skullduggery is the root cause.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
Saw the movie this afternoon. So, was that really Atlantis, officially? Too bad they ended up nuking it to recharge Godzilla.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Saw the movie this afternoon. So, was that really Atlantis, officially? Too bad they ended up nuking it to recharge Godzilla.
It was the Hollow Earth --- or at least part of it. They said in other places that Godzilla was using the tunnels to travel "throughout the globe," so just because they nuked this part of the Hollow Earth civilization doesn't necessarily mean they nuked all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies