Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It wasn't meant to. It is setting up something that will (hopefully) continue in future movies. Complaining that her character wasn't fully developed in this movie is like complaining that Luke didn't become a full-fledged Jedi in the first STAR WARS flick. They're building something. This was a first step, but it wasn't meant to be the destination.

This is exactly how you build a movie franchise. You tell a great story with a beginning, middle, and end, but you also lay the groundwork for future movies. Marvel has done this quite successfully.
Maybe I should put some context into it. Zhang Ziyi is the most famous Chinese actress.
Her status in China is probably only second to Gong Li. That is why I say she is wasted. Some second tier Chinese actress can take it, if the target is Chinese market. In fact some younger actresses attract more audience.

Suppose a Hollywood star got this role, the script will be hugely modified for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 10:54 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
‘Godzilla’ Needs Help: How the MonsterVerse Can Survive After ‘King of the Monsters’ Fizzles Out

Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Maybe I should put some context into it. Zhang Ziyi is the most famous Chinese actress.
Her status in China is probably only second to Gong Li.
That may be. But in the West, she is still an admired character actress, much like Kyle Chandler and Vera Farmiga. Ken Watanabe is huge in Japan. In the US he is an admired character actor. The biggest pop culture "star" in this movie (other than Godzilla) was actually Millie Bobbie Brown. How long her star shines is anyone's guess, but she's certainly an extremely gifted young actress.

That division between Eastern and Western cinema is dissolving more and more every year, but it's still there. The biggest hurdle isn't so much that Western audiences won't accept a great Eastern movie or vice versa. It's that the two audiences still do have rather distant taste in movies, for whatever reasons. STAR WARS may be the most successful film franchise of all time in the West. The Japanese like it. It's never been particularly popular in China. Yet the MARVEL movies do really well all over the globe. Kung fu movies and Bollywood have a niche audience in the West, but they have never had mass appeal.

And never forget the Germans' love of David Hasslehoff or France's strange fascination with Jerry Lewis.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
She makes some great points, but still manages to miss the large point of why this movie is a box office disappointment. Mickey Spillane figured this out decades ago: "Your first chapter sells your book. Your last chapter sells your next book."

The Gareth Edwards movie built up a great hype, which gave it a big box office opening, then largely failed to really excite an eager audience. So when this movie comes out ... people just aren't as excited, even though this is a far better movie.

And even as a fan who loved this movie, I still think KONG VS. GODZILLA is a mistake. Does anyone really want this? I get the impression some marketing guy looking at a spreadsheet for ideas came up with this idea.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
The humans weren't bad but what the Hell? Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to not kill Rodan but do it to Mothra? Mothra was pretty under used and she was the monster I really wanted to see.

I don't know how Godzilla got killed at the box office. mean I don't think it suffered bad reviews since Aladdin had similar review issues. It can't be Avengers since the movie came out an entire month after that scorched the Earth for most part. Instead in hearing marketing. I don't know what they could have done more. IMAX had a great feature with Avengers featuring arguably the best fight.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
She makes some great points, but still manages to miss the large point of why this movie is a box office disappointment. Mickey Spillane figured this out decades ago: "Your first chapter sells your book. Your last chapter sells your next book."

The Gareth Edwards movie built up a great hype, which gave it a big box office opening, then largely failed to really excite an eager audience. So when this movie comes out ... people just aren't as excited, even though this is a far better movie.

And even as a fan who loved this movie, I still think KONG VS. GODZILLA is a mistake. Does anyone really want this? I get the impression some marketing guy looking at a spreadsheet for ideas came up with this idea.
Agreed. I'd rather see Godzilla fight some new kaiju than Kong. Why'd they fight anyway? Aren't they both human sympathizers? Unless Tywin Lannister pulls some kind of Lex Luthor crap.

I hope to see more of the mammoth ape and the other new kaijus that showed up at the end. Also more kaiju vs military action.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Also more kaiju vs military action.
Rodan's emergence from the volcano and subsequent swatting of fighter jets like gnats was instantly one of kaiju cinema's highlights — sixty-plus years' worth.

And that's exactly how it should be: Humans don't stand a chance against kaiju. Nukes are farts. That oxygen destroyer was akin to a bad sneeze. They're here, and we're effed. "Special of the day," indeed.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don't get it, apart from it being the byproduct of studio suit skullduggery.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM

"3. Get those fight scenes out of the dark."

HAHAHA! Did she watch the movie?!

What a fluff piece. "The critics are losing patience." To hell with them.

I think the only thing that may have worked against this movie, in spite of early hype, is the five-year gap and/or the release date. Apart from that, it's everything a Godzilla movie should be.

The audience rating is 86%. That spells it out right there.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:42 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't get it, apart from it being the byproduct of studio suit skullduggery.
Well, it has to be an improvement over the 1962 King kong vs Godzilla movie. That thing was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6e-dvQ31c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies