Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times

Advertisements

The critics just savaged this movie. I think that turned off enough people that they just didn't even bother to go.

I typically find that if the critics HATE on a movie, that's the one I want to see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 05:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
And here I was thinking a few months back that this bad boy might flirt with 800-900 million.

I thought American audiences enjoyed kaiju rendered with state of the art VFX. Oh, well.
I think they do but Avengers IMHO took a lot out of the box office lungs except for Aladdin and Toy Story 4. I can say that for the latter as the standard theater was nearly sold out for this morning and IMAX was packed too. Illumination even fumbled with The Secret Life of Pets 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The new Men In Black is also a loser for the studio. That one didn't surprise me though.

It's been a weird summer for movies. The last two I have seen in the theater --- Godzilla and Dark Phoenix --- were both box office disappointments hated by the critics, and I enjoyed both movies. Loved Godzilla in fact.

Sometimes I thing the zeitgeist has lost its mind.
I enjoyed Dark Phoenix more so than King of the Monsters. As stated before in this thread, King of the Monsters had their best fight scene shown in an IMAX preview and with Mothra they wasted her being taken out by Ghidorah while Rodan was impaled and stabbed but didn't die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The critics just savaged this movie. I think that turned off enough people that they just didn't even bother to go.

I typically find that if the critics HATE on a movie, that's the one I want to see...
It was just a good popcorn flick and the acting wasn't that great. If you don't like monsters fighting each other, this isn't a movie for you.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
^Rodan's not going down from a puncture wound. He fashions chaise lounges out of magma!

Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It was just a good popcorn flick and the acting wasn't that great. If you don't like monsters fighting each other, this isn't a movie for you.
Who goes to a "monsters fighting each other movie", and care about the human actors? I don't, that's certainly last on my list of concerns for this sort of movie.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:02 PM

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status...46338358218752

Old 07-25-2019, 02:18 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,973,594 times
Was disappointed in this installment. Perhaps I have become that Grouchy Old Man before my time? If I was a critic I would savage the movie too. Though critics "evaluating" monster movies is kind of silly.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Was disappointed in this installment. Perhaps I have become that Grouchy Old Man before my time? If I was a critic I would savage the movie too. Though critics "evaluating" monster movies is kind of silly.
Over what? Not enough monsters? (It was time to bring in the others.)

Too many monsters? (Godzilla was the only hero in the first, and the two adversaries were dealt with.)

Not enough human drama? Probably just the right amount. Didn't need any more than what we got.

And the monster VFX was killa.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,973,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Over what? Not enough monsters? (It was time to bring in the others.)

Too many monsters? (Godzilla was the only hero in the first, and the two adversaries were dealt with.)

Not enough human drama? Probably just the right amount. Didn't need any more than what we got.

And the monster VFX was killa.
The monster CGI was mostly OK except for the time Godzilla just awkwardly fell on its back after - not much at all. What is the tail for again?

The human drama just sucked. Could have done better with some new volunteers from church. It was like they read a line then spit it out in front of the camera. Rinse, repeat.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Dude, it's a Godzilla movie. Screw the humans.*

*Except Dr. Serizawa and Dr. Graham were cool, and they both died, i.e. got written out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies