Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Godzilla did need to regenerate, but the thing didn't vaporize him, either. Think how much more advanced technology is now than it was in 1954. One nuke charge later and he was BACK. IN. ACTION.
It left him for dead. Plus the nuke in 54 didn't really kill him since he was back in Godzilla Raids again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
She makes some great points, but still manages to miss the large point of why this movie is a box office disappointment. Mickey Spillane figured this out decades ago: "Your first chapter sells your book. Your last chapter sells your next book."

The Gareth Edwards movie built up a great hype, which gave it a big box office opening, then largely failed to really excite an eager audience. So when this movie comes out ... people just aren't as excited, even though this is a far better movie.

And even as a fan who loved this movie, I still think KONG VS. GODZILLA is a mistake. Does anyone really want this? I get the impression some marketing guy looking at a spreadsheet for ideas came up with this idea.
I'll go watch this movie, and I'll probably like it a lot.

But for the average moviegoer, I just don't think this Godzilla movie offered anything enticing for them to want to watch based on the trailers, and lackluster marketing in my opinion. I didn't even know the movie was coming out when it did.

The 2014 Godzilla had enticing trailers and some measure of hype as it has been a while since a Godzilla movie came out. But I think many people were somewhat disappointed at the movie. The lackluster box office of the Pacific Rim sequel (and even the first one domestically) to me shows audience fatigue at the concept of giant monsters duking it out in the city. Godzilla opened to 93 million, Kong Skull Island opened at 61 million, and now this one opened at 49 million. That's why over 75 percent of the audience this weekend were males, 59 percent of them over the age of 25. Outside of fan boys and people who like to watch these huge CGI fests in general, the average person doesn't care.

And it's not just Godzilla, The Lego Movie also tanked at the box office earlier this year, compared to its incredible box office run in 2014.

The problem is studios continue to hang onto IP's because that is their comfort zone. Luckily for Marvel, audiences just keep turning out to see their movies even though they are all pretty much similar in concept. I think people would much rather see yet another superhero comic book movie because of the compelling characters and an involving story line that's more than just people fighting each other.

There's not much they can do now since Godzilla vs Kong has already finished filming. Hopefully it's not just another movie filled with scenes of the two battling it out in some major metropolis. That's been so played out already in the Pacific Rim and the two Godzilla movies. Anyways they have some major work to do to hopefully market the movie in a much more compelling manner than they did with this one.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'll go watch this movie, and I'll probably like it a lot.

But for the average moviegoer, I just don't think this Godzilla movie offered anything enticing for them to want to watch based on the trailers, and lackluster marketing in my opinion. I didn't even know the movie was coming out when it did.

The 2014 Godzilla had enticing trailers and some measure of hype as it has been a while since a Godzilla movie came out. But I think many people were somewhat disappointed at the movie. The lackluster box office of the Pacific Rim sequel (and even the first one domestically) to me shows audience fatigue at the concept of giant monsters duking it out in the city. Godzilla opened to 93 million, Kong Skull Island opened at 61 million, and now this one opened at 49 million. That's why over 75 percent of the audience this weekend were males, 59 percent of them over the age of 25. Outside of fan boys and people who like to watch these huge CGI fests in general, the average person doesn't care.

And it's not just Godzilla, The Lego Movie also tanked at the box office earlier this year, compared to its incredible box office run in 2014.

The problem is studios continue to hang onto IP's because that is their comfort zone. Luckily for Marvel, audiences just keep turning out to see their movies even though they are all pretty much similar in concept. I think people would much rather see yet another superhero comic book movie because of the compelling characters and an involving story line that's more than just people fighting each other.

There's not much they can do now since Godzilla vs Kong has already finished filming. Hopefully it's not just another movie filled with scenes of the two battling it out in some major metropolis. That's been so played out already in the Pacific Rim and the two Godzilla movies. Anyways they have some major work to do to hopefully market the movie in a much more compelling manner than they did with this one.
I would argue what killed the mid-range budget theatrical movie was Netflix. The last mid-range movie to do great in the box office that wasn't an established IP (book, toy franchise, comic, etc.) sequel or reboot was La La Land from two and a half years ago and before that, maybe The Hangover (there is likely one in the eight years I missed but bear with me here.) Almost all the movies that have done great at the box office since Hangover were a mix of IP, reboots, re-imaginings and sequels look at the DC movies, Marvel, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Disney live-action reboots, Lego movie, etc. The Purge was original but was a 3 million dollar movie budget movie with a marketing budget likely double that easy.

Now where have the old mid-range movie Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and soon Disney+ will get the old doubles as Michael Eisner called them. For as much crap as you want to say about Eisner in the 1990's and 2000's, the 1980's he had Disney produce a good amount of doubles with low mid to mid range budgets. Nowadays, you have to have some IP attached to it and not just from Disney but all studios. And when I say this, I'm NOT talking making a series versus a movie as movie versus series/mini-series are two different styles of writing scripts. A movie can only go so indepth while a series can go more and sometimes too much. I mean isn't Black Mirror only three or so episodes this season?

Anywho, the point is unless a film has an established IP or you are willing to shoot it for a under $10 mil price-tag, studios aren't taking those risks anymore. I hate it, but that's the business these days. People rather stay at home than go to the movies for anything other than an event or two each year. Then, you have people like me that see nearly a summer film a week, sometimes two. My girlfriend and I were stressed out over how many movies were coming out over the next few weeks that we both wanted to see after we saw Godzilla Friday.

Now as for your point about Kong v. Godzilla, I honestly don't know what they can do different without pushing back the next movie into a dangerous date landmine. Disney has announced several killers in the coming years with Marvel Studios films, Jungle Cruise and a few live actions thrown in; MGM has Bond 25 and third Legally Blonde; WB has Wonder Woman 1984, Candyman, Minions 2 and The Purge 5; Sony has Ghostbusters 3, Morbius and Venom 2; Paramount has another SpongeBob movie and Top Gun: Maverick; and closing out the Summer is the Bill & Ted sequel 20 years in the making. AFAIK the March 2020 date for Kong V Zilla is not facing a major competitor so it would be foolish to really change that date. It is facing off with Pixar's Onward in its second weekend (counter-programming so minimal effect considering the target of both films has a slight cross-section, but not much) and Universal and Blumhouse's The Invisible Man is opening against it. Could there be another one or two, sure. I doubt one would be a contender to the monsters though.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It left him for dead. Plus the nuke in 54 didn't really kill him since he was back in Godzilla Raids again.
Now why do you think Toho got Godzilla Raids Again into production and subsequently into theaters only six months after their surprise hit Gojira?

I'll wait for your answer.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The humans weren't bad but what the Hell? Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to not kill Rodan but do it to Mothra? Mothra was pretty under used and she was the monster I really wanted to see.
O ye of little faith...

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/s...55986417766401

Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The movie will no doubt be a team-up film. It may be marketed like a title bout, but I predict a third act tandem showdown against a new monster(s).

Spoiler
I just read that the novelization of GKOTM reveals Kong was busy stopping the Skullcrawlers from responding to Ghidorah.

All things considered, it's possible audiences may like that kind of movie better. We'll see. Because we ALL know Kong is not going to beat Godzilla. Beat on his tail, maybe.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
The movie will no doubt be a team-up film. It may be marketed like a title bout, but I predict a third act tandem showdown against a new monster(s).
They'll start out fighting, then in a pivotal moment, Kong will say, "I have a friend named Mothra," and Godzilla will say, "I have a friend named Mothra, too!" Then they'll team up to fight the real bad guy with a super cool name like Lyzzard Skynnard.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They'll start out fighting, then in a pivotal moment, Kong will say, "I have a friend named Mothra," and Godzilla will say, "I have a friend named Mothra, too!" Then they'll team up to fight the real bad guy with a super cool name like Lyzzard Skynnard.
You should have just posted the meme. What happened? I thought you were the Lord of the Memes.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Yo, MarkuS!

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/...45898278150145

Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
You should have just posted the meme. What happened? I thought you were the Lord of the Memes.
I lost the Ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies