Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,266,785 times

Advertisements

Some movies seem to be universally loved by movie-goers and critics alike, and I find TERRIBLE. others, everyone acts like its a big deal, but its just "meh."

BLAZING SADDLES: Its ****ING TERRIBLE. just a stupid movie. its like watching a jumble of live action Loony Tunes episodes only not as charming. at best, the humor is dated and doesn't hold up, unless you're on some 1970's nostalgia trip. Terrible, stupid, and dated.

ANIMAL HOUSE AND CADDY SHACK: two movies that I have never actually sat down and watched. I've seen them on, but they've never captured my attention enough to pay much attention. but I've seen enough to understand what kind of humor those movies are about. question: did Animal house become universally beloved before or after John Belushi's death? and was John Belushi ever really that funny? I've seen him on SNL, and it seems to be a lot of grunting ethnic characters.

I still hear people quote these movies, and wax about scenes from them - and it just aint that funny to me (same can be said for Blazing Saddles.) the humor in these movies seems to be dated in the 1970s when Cheech and Chong and radio interviews with "Mr. Jaws the Shark" were humorous. I just don't think the antics of the characters in these films holds up as being funny. Meh. Dated Antics.

ROBOCOP: HORRIBLE. loved by critics and audiences alike, but everything about it is horrible - not just the special effects, and being made in 1987 is no excuse for having effects THAT bad. plenty of movies from the eighties and even the seventies had WAY BETTER effects. I honestly don't know what their budget was to get the movie made, but outside of the abysmal special effects, the acting was bad and the characters were one-dimensional arch types. I think my least favorite scene is at the very end when Robocop interrupts a board meeting and shoots the arch villain about 70 times, blasting him through the window of a skyscraper. meanwhile the "black guy in the company who was one of the good guys all along" nods in approval at the gruesome scene. Bad in every way.

SUPERMAN: the first one, from '78. Dated and Crappy. was it only back in '78 that we thought that a more advanced race than ourselves would know of the existence of "28 galaxies?" that's not the only thing that's dated about this movie. some of the effects are really hard to take; like when he was running alongside a train. you remember, when he was a blonde haired teenager who beared no resemblance at all to the dark haired boy or the dark haired Clark Kent. Dated. Piece of Crap.

THE SIXTH SENSE: not a terrible movie, but boring as ****. the only thing people ever talk about (OR EVER HAVE TALKED ABOUT) regarding that movie is the twist ending. well, the twist ending does not redeem the un-interesting-ness of the preceding (what feels like two and a half hours.) I don't mind a slow moving film, but this one is just so uninteresting aside from being slow. Meh. Boring.

THE DARK KNIGHT: its overrated you nerds! FACT: if Heath Ledger hadn't died while or shortly after making this movie, this movie would not have received half the heat that it got. the fact that Heath Ledger died does not make this a good movie. Ledger's Joker was great, but we're talking 15 minutes of screen time, and the rest of the movie is torture to watch, so Ledger's Joker does not redeem the rest of this flick. when I watched this movie I just saw so many flaws and plot holes that made no sense. severely overrated.

THE GODFATHER: you know? what everyone thinks is the best movie of all time. I don't think its even close to being the best Mafia movie of all time. I think most Mafia movies that anyone can name off the top of their head are better than the Godfather. I would almost say that Scarface is a better movie just for entertainment value alone - and Scarface is NOT a good movie. sorry. but that is what the Godfather lacks - entertainment value. the characters are ALL flat. nothing and no one in that movie really engaged my attention. Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors, but even his character is flat. not saying that I'm a huge fan of screaming all his lines while never making eye contact with the person he's talking to Pacino. but there has to be a middle ground between that and Michael Corleone. my advise to Michael Corleone is this: since its evidently so easy to do at the drop of a hat, next time "settle all the family business" BEFORE half your guys are killed. flat performances. I don't see the cultural significance. fairly boring and overrated.

there. that's my list and my reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,174,350 times
Best in Show
Fight Club
The Matrix

There are others, those are the ones that popped into my head immediately.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Lord of the Rings: Tediously boring.

Bourne Identity: I like Matt Damon enough as an actor but not as an action star, he was totally unconvincing, the fight scenes sucked, overall lame movie.

Donnie Darko: Incoherent, pretentious mess propped up by proto-hipster types.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,241,369 times
There's Something About Mary
My Best Friend's Wedding
SuperBad

Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,682,458 times
Pretty much anything Will Farrell has been in.
Anything with that Borat guy.

Austin Powers movies.

Black guys being older black women. (in fact pretty much any movie with guys being women, with the notable exception of Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in Some Like it Hot)

Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Anything starring Adam Sandler.

Grease and Love, Actually.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:35 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,791,723 times
Citizen Kane is a movie I just never got. All you hear about it is how Orson Welles was only 20-something when he made it. So what? It's still a tepid, slow-moving flick about a nasty guy with lots of power who lost his innocence a long time ago. And that makes it one of the greatest films of all time because...?

Raging Bull is another of those so-called "great" movies that bored me to tears. The fight scenes have been done before by many directors, and the main character is a stupid guy who remains clueless 'til the end. I couldn't give a s**t.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest had the deeply retarded idea that "crazy" people are saner that "regular" people and the "regular" people are cruel for keeping the "crazies" under control. Spare me. As a societal metaphor it's trite beyond belief. And its totally insulting anyone who has spent time with anyone who is seriously mentally ill, as well as the seriously mentally ill themselves.

Three are probably more, but these came right to mind.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:54 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
Silence of the Lambs - It's my type of movie. Everything indicates I would like it. Twice, I changed channels because I found it to be boring. It's a very talky kind of movie for the type of movie it is.

The Exorcist - Another boring supposedly scary movie. It's the same thing for the whole movie.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,963,429 times
Especially at this time of year--A Christmas Story. I just don't get it.

There are quite a few others, but some I've just totally refused to see at all. Like ET.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Citizen Kane is a movie I just never got. All you hear about it is how Orson Welles was only 20-something when he made it. So what? It's still a tepid, slow-moving flick about a nasty guy with lots of power who lost his innocence a long time ago. And that makes it one of the greatest films of all time because...?
Because of its technical achievements in the sort of sets they used and how Welles shot the movie. It was quite ahead of its time, but with that said, it was a bit slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies