Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,878 times

Advertisements

what do you all think of the harry potter movies. I got into the harry potter series last year and read everything upto the half blood prince within one month thats alot of reading. lol. Anyway I finished Order of the Phenix the day I saw the movie. And I fell asleep in the theater. Because I knew everything. The problem is I enjoy the movies but the book is amazing. And I get crap from my fiance when we watch the movies because I am like in the book they did this....they should have put this in the movie....they changed that to make it movie worthy...lol...I dont blame him one bit.

anyway let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
I did not think the movies lived up to the Hype. I loved the books but the movies have all been lacking in magic so to speak in my opinion and relying too much on CGs.
Plus Daniel Radcliffe's acting has been really quite atrocious. He has got better through the series but is still pretty ropey.

In many ways the movie was an excellent rendition of the books, visually anyway, in another it just fell short and left me rather bored.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,917 times
Thumbs down For conscience sake

Tempted for the magical aspect, but won't can't because of the spiritual aspects!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,594 times
I watched the first 2 movies before I ever started reading the series. Then I caught up and read the first 4 that were out at the time. So I'm thankful for the movies. It brought me to the books. Otherwise, I may have never read them. But I agree with Moose:

Quote:
In many ways the movie was an excellent rendition of the books, visually anyway, in another it just fell short and left me rather bored.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
I loved the first movie. I saw it on HBO way after it was popular. I thought it was so good I went out and brought the books. That pretty much killed the movies for me. I spent the whole time complaining about how they cut stuff out or how they changed stuff or how so-and-so was supposed to look like this and so no one will watch the movies with me. I was throughly disgusted with how they rushed through so many of the key elements in Prisoner of Azkaban (especially the ending when they go back in time to save themselves) that I said I'll never watch another.

However, one day I went to Wal-mart and several hours later I noticed that the Goblet of Fire was on my DVD rack. Don't know how that happened, but I somehow suspect that The Order of the Phoenix will soon accompany it. I miss the original Dumbledore.

P.S - I hated the way Moody's magical eye looked in the film - if they can make dinosaurs and aliens surely they can make a magical eye.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,381,466 times
I think the movies have gotten better as the series went along. I am really looking forward to the Half Blood Prince because the going back in time sequence to Voldamart's childhood was fascinating in the book so I look forward to it in the movie.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,594 times
Quote:
I was throughly disgusted with how they rushed through so many of the key elements in Prisoner of Azkaban
Ahh.. see I LOVED Prisoner. I loved how Alfonso Cuaron did it. I know he changed some things around (like the 'Mooney' spelling, and Werewolf!Lupin was awful looking), but I think artistically, that movie was made beautifully. The shots were incredible, and some of the scenes were just stunning. And the score? To die for. Its definitely my favorite movie so far (as well as my favorite book).

My least favorite movie so far I think is Goblet of Fire. I didnt like the way it was done at all. Some of it was ok, but the dragon task went on forever, I didnt like that they completely excluded the house elves, and the score was terrible compared to the first 3.

Quote:
P.S - I hated the way Moody's magical eye looked in the film - if they can make dinosaurs and aliens surely they can make a magical eye.
I agree. I didnt like his eye either. Actually, that actor was not Moody in my mind at all. And from the looks of it, neither is the one who'll play Slughorn.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post

I agree. I didnt like his eye either. Actually, that actor was not Moody in my mind at all. And from the looks of it, neither is the one who'll play Slughorn.
I know. I think my imagination is just a little better than the casting directors. The lady they picked to play Umbridge was most disappointing. I don't know my vision of Rita Skeeter was a little off too. I was thinking more Lainie Kazan, but I was okay with the actress they chose. Fluer could have been a little more attractive IMO Luna didn't look quite as loony as I would have liked either. LOL I think my expectations were just too high.

Hey on a side note: was anyone else expecting Sirius to come back? I kept thinking that somehow he was going to come back through the mirror and talk to him from beyond or something...I mean Harry and Luna heard the voices of the dead when the were in the Department of Mysteries so it's obvious the dead are still talking.

This is a cool website: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter

It links all the characters together like they're real people. I'll pretend like tonight is the first time I've ever seen it.

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-12-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times
Order Of The Pheonix movie was HORRIBLE. They left so much out.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Order Of The Pheonix movie was HORRIBLE. They left so much out.
Was the portrait of Mrs. Black as fun as it was in the book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies