Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,837,663 times

Advertisements

Matrix

LOTR

Hangover
(loved American Pie, though)

Any stupid movie about people being stoned

American Beauty

Black Swan

The Help

The Color Purple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 AM

4,025 posts, read 5,236,407 times
The Big Lebowski - It's alright, but it isn't the cultural juggernaut a lot of people think it is.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Pulp Fiction (*snore*)

Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 AM

29,864 posts, read 34,849,937 times
Oh, yeah. The Matrix. Nope.

Black Swan is one of those films that I didn't particularly like, but I do recognize that Natalie Portman nailed her performance. Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married was the same.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,780,236 times
Easy Rider. On a logical level I appreciate that it was culturally groundbreaking in its day, but I was left asking myself, "this is all it took to blow peoples' minds in the late '60s??"

Man Push Cart. An underground favorite of the navel-gazing "more culturally astute than thou" crowd. Movie title Man Push Cart should include sub-heading Viewer Not Care.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, yeah. The Matrix. Nope.

Black Swan is one of those films that I didn't particularly like, but I do recognize that Natalie Portman nailed her performance. Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married was the same.
I love Natalie Portman, but she had the same constipated look on her face the entire movie.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:14 PM

643 posts, read 926,097 times
Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter Movies are sooo boring. Disclaimer: I hate fantasy movies.

But come on, whoever said Godfather is tripping.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:15 PM

643 posts, read 926,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The Big Lebowski - It's alright, but it isn't the cultural juggernaut a lot of people think it is.
THIS!! I thought it was whatever. Never saw the hype.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,305,650 times
Just about any romantic movie that girls get all sappy about. For a good amount of time I was wondering if I was missing the appropriate female hormones necessary to appreciate these horrible movies, but then I realized that my ability for critical thought supersedes the Hollywood baloney that women seem to fall for:

Three cases in point:

Pretty Woman: She is a HOOKER. A HOOKER!! And not even a high end prostitute. She works the streets!! Not only is the premise of the story completely implausible, but it is completely disgusting. Yeah, I get it, it's supposed to be a Cinderella story. Still pretty gross.

Dirty Dancing: So this girl barely out of high school hooks up with a guy who's like, 30, because she has daddy issues and is sick of being babied by her parents. So then what happens? Are we expected to believe that the greasy dance instructor continues to date her after the summer is over? Yeah right.

The Notebook: I only watched this movie because of Ryan Gosling. I hate all things Nicholas Sparks with a passion (I've met him, and he's a complete jerk) but after years of hearing how romantic this movie is, I had to see for myself. The only reason I rooted for the two main characters to get together is because they were both such psychos that no one else deserved to be saddled with those hot messes. And the end was so completely depressing that I don't get how anyone could see it as a romance. Disappointing too, because I really like Rachel McAdams.

I'm sure there are more but these are the first three I can think of.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,780,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter Movies are sooo boring. Disclaimer: I hate fantasy movies.

But come on, whoever said Godfather is tripping.
Nah, The Godfather is at least a little overrated. The fact is The Godfather II really helps flesh out The Godfather and add a lot of context and back-story. Taken together, it's a really solid pair. But if there were no Godfather II, the original Godfather would just be a decent gangster flick.

(For the purposes of this discussion, we shall pretend Godfather III doesn't exist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies