Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 AM

23,247 posts, read 29,098,666 times

Advertisements

Talk to the older Minnesotans with elephantine memories and they'll tell you of winters that were worse. I spent my first 43 years there, and I wish I could remember one horrid winter, back in the 60's, back in Rochester, where it was below zero (at night) for the entire month of January!

I left MN 20 years ago, and every single day since, I look at the Minnesota temp's in the paper every day, and I was really surprised/shocked by the temp's this winter, given the warm winters you had up there over the last 10 years. Can't remember which of those years, in January, constant telephone calls from my brother to brag: it's warmer up here than Las Vegas!

One thing I have noticed, that when you guys have a warmer winter up there, we have a colder winter out here, and with this year, with your colder winter, we've had an idyllic winter so far!

But the memories of this current cold winter will evaporate with the first nice day in Spring! That's what saves Minnesota: rapid amnesia! And: This will never happen again! Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,014,856 times
Many of you may be aware....but a large storm system will bring very poor conditions to eastern Minnesota Thursday afternoon into Friday as low pressure moves north-northeast from near Kansas City to about Wausau WI. Expecting heavy snow and very high winds and likely blizzard conditions in Rochester....Austin...Red Wing...Winona...Stillwater...and likely as far west as the Twin Cities metro....but could be large difference from west to east across the metro with by far the worst conditions on the eastern side. Duluth also gets in on the action. Travel will be very difficult in that stretch from the Twin Cities east along I-94 through about the Wisconsin Dells and along 52 from St Paul to Rochester and along I-90 from Austin to La Crosse Thursday night and Friday morning.

Winter Weather Forecasts and Reports - NWS Twin Cities

-- Dan meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks ND

Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Many of you may be aware....but a large storm system will bring very poor conditions to eastern Minnesota Thursday afternoon into Friday as low pressure moves north-northeast from near Kansas City to about Wausau WI. Expecting heavy snow and very high winds and likely blizzard conditions in Rochester....Austin...Red Wing...Winona...Stillwater...and likely as far west as the Twin Cities metro....but could be large difference from west to east across the metro with by far the worst conditions on the eastern side. Duluth also gets in on the action. Travel will be very difficult in that stretch from the Twin Cities east along I-94 through about the Wisconsin Dells and along 52 from St Paul to Rochester and along I-90 from Austin to La Crosse Thursday night and Friday morning.

Winter Weather Forecasts and Reports - NWS Twin Cities

-- Dan meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks ND
Thanks Dan!!! It's great having our own personal meteorologist!! I was looking at how tight those snow bands are. That seems unusual to have them so tight like that for snowfall amounts. Is it different or just more something we see this time of year?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Thanks Dan!!! It's great having our own personal meteorologist!! I was looking at how tight those snow bands are. That seems unusual to have them so tight like that for snowfall amounts. Is it different or just more something we see this time of year?
Tight gradients of snow are not uncommon with storms of this magnitude...often in these wrapped up storms you get the wind because you have a deep low and a strong high close together. Thus you have a dry air source close by and hence a sharp cutoff in how far west the moisture will be.

A weaker system or weaker low will tend to have a more spread out moisture pattern in many cases....

Your area there Rosemont,Eagan look to be the western fringe of the 8 inch area....much more likely Stillwater and Red Wing.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,880 times
It's definitely coming down hard. It's that thick, slushy heavy stuff (about a quarter inch) at the bottom right now, so had to get at it tonight before the next cold front hits.

Rough stuff!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Earlier today NWS pushed heavier snowfall totals a bit west so pretty much all of the immediate metro will be under the heavy snowfall amounts....

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,622,123 times
Default Thunder Snow

Cool!!!!!!!!!!

We here in SE MN experienced Thunder Snow earlier this afternoon!

The snow was falling hard when there came a loud, long, low rumble. A few minutes later lightning flashed, then a loud bang of thunder again, then a looooonnng roar. And all the while the snow was coming down hard.

I've heard about it but never experienced it before.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 AM

Another blizzard warning in effect for parts of central into south central Minnesota Wed afternoon-evening as another push of strong northwest winds comes south. Blizzard warning area is from Alexandria through Sauk Centre-Wilmar through Mankato to Albert Lea with gusts to 45 mph possible late this afternoon-early evening and blowing snow.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 AM

Advisories/Warnings for this afternoon-tonight
Attached Thumbnails
The Minnesota Weather Thread-1656034_730334690333329_649627874_n.png  

Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,223 times
St Cloud Times headline............."St Cloud sets record for February 25 with lowest high temperature "

Low daytime highs are also an example of a cold winter regardless of the night time lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota