Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
8 degrees shy of 103, but it felt even hotter | StarTribune.com

An "excessive heat warning"...? What is this? It hits 90 and Minneapolis issues an "excessive heat warning"?
Prolonged exposure to a heat index of 105 is considered dangerous, at least without proper hydration. The heat index was right around 105 today.

Also, many in the Twin Cities area, unlike other regions in the U.S., lack air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
8 degrees shy of 103, but it felt even hotter | StarTribune.com

An "excessive heat warning"...? What is this? It hits 90 and Minneapolis issues an "excessive heat warning"?
Because there was a dew point of 75+ creating humidity levels in the 70+ range making that 90 feel like 105+. It was hard to breath yesterday with the humidity let alone the heat that goes with that. We are going to see the same today-topped off with severe storms from what it sounds like.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

455 posts, read 638,205 times
Yeah, I understand the heat index, but still... sure, yesterday was hot, but it wasn't that hot. I do understand if people don't have a/c, though, that they might want to know that it is going to be hot... I just think the "excessive heat warning" is funny. And, to rcsteiner's point, I just don't recall ever seeing that before. But I should redirect my amusement toward the NWS rather than Minneapolis.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Looks like you guys are having the same weather that we are in Missouri. According to the forecaset we should all get a break from the heat and humidity starting this weekend

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Yeah, I understand the heat index, but still... sure, yesterday was hot, but it wasn't that hot. I do understand if people don't have a/c, though, that they might want to know that it is going to be hot... I just think the "excessive heat warning" is funny. And, to rcsteiner's point, I just don't recall ever seeing that before. But I should redirect my amusement toward the NWS rather than Minneapolis.
I don't mind the heat myself (unless I have to work in it ), but the warning is really intended more for the elderly, those working outside, and others who are more susceptible to the heat, not the average person.

Also, porches and attic fans are far less common in the Twin Cities than they seem to be down here (those things are very nice when a/c is not present). Not that Atlanta is that hot ... I was actually a little disappointed when we moved down here to find that "Hotlanta" doesn't really live up to its name, at least compared to past experiences I've had in the Arizona desert and in central Florida.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't mind the heat myself (unless I have to work in it ), but the warning is really intended more for the elderly, those working outside, and others who are more susceptible to the heat, not the average person.

Also, porches and attic fans are far less common in the Twin Cities than they seem to be down here (those things are very nice when a/c is not present). Not that Atlanta is that hot ... I was actually a little disappointed when we moved down here to find that "Hotlanta" doesn't really live up to its name, at least compared to past experiences I've had in the Arizona desert and in central Florida.
I guess it's just amusing because this weather is dangerous in much the same way that 10-degree weather is dangerous (i.e., it's not, unless you do something stupid like sit in a snow pile in just your underwear all day long, or work outside all day in the heat without hydrating and/or taking breaks).

Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
I guess it's just amusing because this weather is dangerous in much the same way that 10-degree weather is dangerous (i.e., it's not, unless you do something stupid like sit in a snow pile in just your underwear all day long, or work outside all day in the heat without hydrating and/or taking breaks).
They give heat warnings the same way across the U.S....it's not just for Northerners. It's defined by NOAA or something.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Major storms just moved through SW Minnesota. There is major damage in my town -- a few houses have been completely destroyed by falling trees, windows blown out, roofs have been damaged. The house next door to mine had a tree fall on it. Scary stuff.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
which town? The supercell that moved through Brookings at around 3:30pm only gave us rain and wind, no hail and little wind damage .. have to go 10 miles south and SE for wind damage, Flandreau got hit quite hard.. about as hard as Egan last year.. lots of uprooted trees, snapped trees, etc. that system moved NNE into areas like Lake Benton, Marshall, and the like very quickly.. seemed like it was going a good 60MPH as it was already nearing Hutchinson 2 hours later.

Fresh off the camera from Flandreau, SD... hope nobody needed to use the bathroom

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv270/sholomar/IMG_1028Large.jpg (broken link)

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv270/sholomar/IMG_1017Large.jpg (broken link)

here's my pictures from the egan storm (using an old 3 megapixel camera, a far cry from the 18 megapixel DSLR I'm just learning to use in manual mode now)

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/v...damage%20egan/

Last edited by sholomar; 07-01-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Tonight's storm rolling in...

A few minutes later...

The post-storm rainbow downtown...

And Twins win!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota