Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
That's true. I just miss the parrots. Haven't been to the splash park. Sounds like a good place to hang out with the kids.
Isn't Parrot Jungle Island out on Watson Island now?Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Isn't Parrot Jungle Island out on Watson Island now?Google Maps
They were discussing the old Parrot Jungle, which is in the area now known as Pinecrest.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
I grew up in the 80s when the BMX thing was a craze and I remember racing BMX at Boystown which was on 137ave close to Tamiami Airport...( I think it's a strip mall now)... Concord Movie Theatre where the Home Depot is at now on Bird Road...

Boystown hasnt been around for about 10 years (or more)

There used to be a movie theatre also on Coral Way and 87 Ave where Ross is at now...

I saw "Star Wars" and "Grease" at that theatre!

Does anyone remember Lionel's Playworld which was crushed by Toys R Us...

It was my first job! I had great times at that place!

I remember the Serpentarium on US1 and I also remember the Crandon Park Zoo on Key Biscayne... How about Planet Ocean on Key Biscayne?? It's not the MAST Academy school... I remember going on so many field trips there...

I do remember LUMS on 8st and 107 ave by FIU... what an awesome restaurant it was when I was a kid, I loved it..

Tropicaire Flea Market/Drive In is now Target/Best Buy...

I went to the "grand closing" of the flea market...

Let's not forget Castle Park off the Palmetto and Flagler now an apt complex...

Also Mall of the Americas was called and Midway Mall and there was a skating rink across the street (Midway Skating Rink) where I had a ton of bday parties...I think there was one on 87ave and Bird Road as well (Tropical Skating?)...

Ah, the good ol' skating days...

How about Taco Viva?

Pirates on Coral Way??

The OMNI Mall had a great arcade complex with a merry go round and a movie theatre that I loved going to...

Lila's Restaurant on Coral Way next to JByrons?

The shopping center that used to house Lila's, Kmart, etc was recently demolished to make way for a Home Depot. The JBryons (now TJ Maxx), Walgreens and Publix are still there. Publix was recently remodeled but Walgreens is exactly the same way it was back in the day.

Woolworth's in Downtown?

Pantry Pride supermarkets? Xtra Supermarkets? Grand Union Supermarkets?

LOL...

How about Six Flags Atlantis??? The only water park in this area for years... Still never had another come up...

Zayre's in Westchester?

I got my ears pierced there when I was 9...

Anyone used to go Diamonds on 57ave and NW 7st to get materials for projects??

Oh yes...it's a Walgreens now...

OK, that's it... I am tapped out... Hope this helped...

Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitzmom View Post
Thanks! This is the link to where I found that address for Lila's:

Restaurant: Lila's Restaurant (broken link)

Now, when I did another searching using that Bird Road address, there were several mentions of a "Villa Habana" at that location with a different phone number. The mystery deepens...I cling to the hope Lila's still exists somewhere.

And a belated thanks from this Banyan Elementary/Rockway Junior/Coral Park Senior High graduate to everyone with the great Westchester-Miami memories. I only recently stumbled on this thread and my daughter was asking why I had such a big grin on my face; it was a kick to share everything with her. I grew up in a big city during the time of Miami Vice, but in some ways it felt like a small town. My neighbors and hang-outs were the same for close to 20 years.
I went to Rockway Elem/Rockway Jr. High/Coral Park too!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 AM

190 posts, read 493,232 times
Although not celebrities in everyone else's eyes, I miss the people of my childhood--teachers and friends. I also miss the innocence of childhood and younger parents. Add these memories to the magical backdrop--and you get what I'm feeling.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,422 times
Default Bird Road

Do anyone remember a carousel or circus type hamburger joint on Bird Road and maybe Galloway?

I used to go there a lot as a very young kid and I just can't remember the name.

Thanks.

And I have to agree with everyone who said Miami was glorious in the 60's and 70's. It really was! Very fortunate to have grown up there. So much to do, relatively safe, so much fun.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarr View Post
Do anyone remember a carousel or circus type hamburger joint on Bird Road and maybe Galloway?

I used to go there a lot as a very young kid and I just can't remember the name.

Thanks.

And I have to agree with everyone who said Miami was glorious in the 60's and 70's. It really was! Very fortunate to have grown up there. So much to do, relatively safe, so much fun.
There was a Royal Castle @ Bird & Galloway, NW corner.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,422 times
Default Circus

Thanks for the reply.

It had a circus theme for kids. Driving me crazy, been trying to remember the name for years.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarr View Post
Thanks for the reply.

It had a circus theme for kids. Driving me crazy, been trying to remember the name for years.

Thanks!
Well, there were some clowns who worked at the Royal Castle!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 AM

66 posts, read 91,963 times
Caitzmon

I was a common fixture at Lila's on Calle Ocho. I knew the owner quite well and I still remember their steaks covered in a cloud of straw french fries. I used to go a lot to that place because it was possible to eat and drink a bottle of Paternina Rioja Wine wine for 5 bucks. Later, they closed their restaurant at Calle Ocho and opened a new one in Coral Way, around 87th (I never went there).
Did they close that restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami