Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,900 times

Advertisements

Was doing some research and ran across this. Thought I'd post a quick note. I was manager of Farrell's in Hialeah and remember we also appeared on "Skipper Chucks??" childrens program a few times. Boy, that was years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It was a building that looked like some kind or restaurant or club. There was a huge date palm near the entrance and I think the current park behind the shopping center was part of the property. This was a long time ago because I remember it being there when I was in elementary school and when sunset was still two lanes there.
My recollection of this property is that it was off the Palmetto Exwy (826) at the Sunset exit, which doesn't match in my mind the SW 97th reference? I think it was the Pan American Club (a social/business club), which would have been relative to the history of Pan Am Airlines in the city, and the site disappeared after their demise? (It could have been one of their assests sold off in the bankruptcy?) That's all I've got.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 AM

156 posts, read 252,491 times

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

20 posts, read 102,908 times
I remember in Hialeah there was Water Boggin, Lionel Playword (The one on Coral Way too), Jeffersons 103rd & 4th Ave, Hialeah Race Track
(it's coming back), Black Angus and Beefsteak Charlie's.
- Places I was too young to go: Foxy Lady's strip club @ 65th Ave and Bird Rd, Sid's Piano Bar Bird Rd & 67th (Now a Papa Johns),
Uncle Charlie's on Doulas & Bird (my dad always told me it was a gay bar and if I misbehaved he would drop me off there, LOL), Leprachaun
Bar on Bird @ 72nd ave (still there but its a Venezuelan place amongs other doomed businesses that preceded)
- Luria's on 87th & bird
- MARTINBURGERS!!!! in Coconut Grove. Mr. martin had a little burger stand that was awesome then he moved into the Taurus Patio area
- Tropical Surfshop in Coconut Grove located in a group of shops where Cocowalk now stands
- Woolworth's on Miralce Mile that had a Diner inside
- YMCA next to David Fairchild Elementary School that had a forest of pine trees in the back - now a bunch of soccer fields
- Wolfie Cohen's & Rascal House Both GONE! They had the best Reuben Sandwiches.
- Treasure Island: small amusement park on the 1st floor of the Omni Mall (Bumper cars ROCKED!)
- Lolita (the original) had a mate in Seaquarium named Hugo (very sad story for both animals)
- Pier Park: In Miami Beach where Nikki Beach is located. I used to surf and skate there. It used to be kind of a shaddy area with a the
Snack Shack next to it where I would buy frozen snicker bars and Sunkist after a long day of surfing.
- Some people posted Taco Viva on Bird Road: Not a taco place any more but it is still there as Picnics. Picnics used to be located in
Allen's Drugs and Soda Fountain on Bird & 57th Ave.
- Wine & Brew by You: Off of Bird and 57th and had a big flamingo stuck to the side of the building and you could by stuff to make homemade
wine and beer
- Yesterday & Today Records in the same mini mall with Sunshine Comics on Bird & 64th (mini mall is still there and Yesterday & Todays is
across Bird Bowl now
- Pantry Pride on Bird & 57th that became Piggly Wiggly and now Milams
- Bowling Alley and Arcade located within University of Miami
- WOW! Somebody posted Trail Bowl - BIG TIME FLASH BACK!
_ Video Arcade, pet store, JByrons, Lila's in the Mall at Coral Way & 87th ave... All torn down execept for Wallgreens & Publix
_ Eagle Stores or Woolco usually located next to Eckerd Drugs. There was one on Bird and 67th with old Winn Dixie.
- Zayres
- Crandon Park Zoo
- The Colusseum then turned Sportrooms and now Publix and condos
- Chicken Unilimted (now Hong Kong Cafe) and Dairy Queen located in the mini mall on the North side of Bird Rd & 67th (Tattoo Parlor & Pet
Shop and was relocated to the south side)
- Seven Seas restaurant when it was a really good restaurant and fish market before becoming just a bar & pool table.
- Video Arcade by Coral Way and 27th Ave
_ Starlight Express at Town & Country Mall
- AHHH Don Carter's Lanes, I SO MISS THIS PLACE!
- Kendall Regency Skating Rink now Dandy Bear's after it was Riverboat Playhouse.
- Midway Skating Rink
- Forgot the name: Skating Rink on Bird & 87th that is now Navarro's Pharm.
- Movie Theater ot 163rd Ave I saw the 1st Superman & The Wiz there
- Miralce Mile Theater: when it was a movie house with ashtrays built in the reclining chairs. Spent many summers in there and saw Star
Wars, Jaws and Muppet Movie there.
- Tropicare Drive-In and Flea Market: Now a Best Buy
- Riviera Theater: Another theater with reclining chairs.

- Sunset Theater: South Miami on US-1. I Barely remember this place, I was very young.
- Dadeland Twin then it was Dadeland 3, now CompUSA and Publix. I saw Empire strikes back and Jaws 3D there
- PLatt Twin: (I think thats wat is was called) now Winn Dixe mini mall next to what was called the Miralce Center (which is now
revitalizing).
- Forgot the name: Movie Theater on Kendall & 107th ave (I saw the 1st Indiana Jones Movie there and the line went around the mall for that
one)
- Kendall Lakes Theater and Mall: Now El Dorado Furniture.
- Forgot the name: Theater in Coconut Grove on the corner of Grand Ave and 32nd Street. They showed Rocky Horror Picture show on Sat
midnights in the mid 90's Kitchen Club was held in there.
- Miller Square Theater
- Bakery Center & Town and Country AMC (Not so old but gone none the less)
- TV SHOWS: Creature Feature, Night Owl with Big Wilson, Skipper Chuck (peace, love and happiness), Sunday Funnies (sumbit your drawings and
read the Herald's comic pages), Sally Fitz (remember the dilido story?), Ann Bishop, Bob Weaver, Ralph Renick
- RADIO Stations: K-102, Zeta 94 (came back once and died again), 103 SHE
So much more but I'm rambling too much.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,529 times

you mean Tropical Skating Rink?

Concord Skating Rink... Boystown BMX ...

Blast from the past!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
The Sally Fitz ***** story!! Too funny. I was just reminiscing with an old friend this past weekend and that is one of the old stories that came up. I remember at the time anyone and everyone who worked in the health care industry claimed to be at the ER when she supposedly came in. Poor Sally. Whether the story was true or not, what a way to be remembered!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM

OHHH Yesss! They had a video arcade there too.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM

261 posts, read 704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuag995 View Post
I remember in Hialeah there was Water Boggin, Lionel Playword (The one on Coral Way too), Jeffersons 103rd & 4th Ave, Hialeah Race Track
(it's coming back), Black Angus and Beefsteak Charlie's.
- Places I was too young to go: Foxy Lady's strip club @ 65th Ave and Bird Rd, Sid's Piano Bar Bird Rd & 67th (Now a Papa Johns),
Uncle Charlie's on Doulas & Bird (my dad always told me it was a gay bar and if I misbehaved he would drop me off there, LOL), Leprachaun
Bar on Bird @ 72nd ave (still there but its a Venezuelan place amongs other doomed businesses that preceded)
- Luria's on 87th & bird
- MARTINBURGERS!!!! in Coconut Grove. Mr. martin had a little burger stand that was awesome then he moved into the Taurus Patio area
- Tropical Surfshop in Coconut Grove located in a group of shops where Cocowalk now stands
- Woolworth's on Miralce Mile that had a Diner inside
- YMCA next to David Fairchild Elementary School that had a forest of pine trees in the back - now a bunch of soccer fields
- Wolfie Cohen's & Rascal House Both GONE! They had the best Reuben Sandwiches.
- Treasure Island: small amusement park on the 1st floor of the Omni Mall (Bumper cars ROCKED!)
- Lolita (the original) had a mate in Seaquarium named Hugo (very sad story for both animals)
- Pier Park: In Miami Beach where Nikki Beach is located. I used to surf and skate there. It used to be kind of a shaddy area with a the
Snack Shack next to it where I would buy frozen snicker bars and Sunkist after a long day of surfing.
- Some people posted Taco Viva on Bird Road: Not a taco place any more but it is still there as Picnics. Picnics used to be located in
Allen's Drugs and Soda Fountain on Bird & 57th Ave.
- Wine & Brew by You: Off of Bird and 57th and had a big flamingo stuck to the side of the building and you could by stuff to make homemade
wine and beer
- Yesterday & Today Records in the same mini mall with Sunshine Comics on Bird & 64th (mini mall is still there and Yesterday & Todays is
across Bird Bowl now
- Pantry Pride on Bird & 57th that became Piggly Wiggly and now Milams
- Bowling Alley and Arcade located within University of Miami
- WOW! Somebody posted Trail Bowl - BIG TIME FLASH BACK!
_ Video Arcade, pet store, JByrons, Lila's in the Mall at Coral Way & 87th ave... All torn down execept for Wallgreens & Publix
_ Eagle Stores or Woolco usually located next to Eckerd Drugs. There was one on Bird and 67th with old Winn Dixie.
- Zayres
- Crandon Park Zoo
- The Colusseum then turned Sportrooms and now Publix and condos
- Chicken Unilimted (now Hong Kong Cafe) and Dairy Queen located in the mini mall on the North side of Bird Rd & 67th (Tattoo Parlor & Pet
Shop and was relocated to the south side)
- Seven Seas restaurant when it was a really good restaurant and fish market before becoming just a bar & pool table.
- Video Arcade by Coral Way and 27th Ave
_ Starlight Express at Town & Country Mall
- AHHH Don Carter's Lanes, I SO MISS THIS PLACE!
- Kendall Regency Skating Rink now Dandy Bear's after it was Riverboat Playhouse.
- Midway Skating Rink
- Movie Theater ot 163rd Ave I saw the 1st Superman & The Wiz there
- Miralce Mile Theater: when it was a movie house with ashtrays built in the reclining chairs. Spent many summers in there and saw Star
Wars, Jaws and Muppet Movie there.
- Tropicare Drive-In and Flea Market: Now a Best Buy
- Riviera Theater: Another theater with reclining chairs.

- Sunset Theater: South Miami on US-1. I Barely remember this place, I was very young.
- Dadeland Twin then it was Dadeland 3, now CompUSA and Publix. I saw Empire strikes back and Jaws 3D there
- PLatt Twin: (I think thats wat is was called) now Winn Dixe mini mall next to what was called the Miralce Center (which is now
revitalizing).
- Forgot the name: Movie Theater on Kendall & 107th ave (I saw the 1st Indiana Jones Movie there and the line went around the mall for that
one)
- Kendall Lakes Theater and Mall: Now El Dorado Furniture.
- Forgot the name: Theater in Coconut Grove on the corner of Grand Ave and 32nd Street. They showed Rocky Horror Picture show on Sat
midnights in the mid 90's Kitchen Club was held in there.
- Miller Square Theater
- Bakery Center & Town and Country AMC (Not so old but gone none the less)
- TV SHOWS: Creature Feature, Night Owl with Big Wilson, Skipper Chuck (peace, love and happiness), Sunday Funnies (sumbit your drawings and
read the Herald's comic pages), Sally Fitz (remember the dilido story?), Ann Bishop, Bob Weaver, Ralph Renick
- RADIO Stations: K-102, Zeta 94 (came back once and died again), 103 SHE
So much more but I'm rambling too much.
Wow! Many of those bring back a ton of memories. I was too young for some of them, but a lot I remember clear as day.

A piece of my childhood was destroyed when they tore down Don Carter's. I also spent many a wonderful day at Riverboat Playhouse...and I had a much better time there than I ever did at Discovery Zone or Dandy Bear.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM

I used to love Kelly's, the movie theater located in that mall and the bagel store there too. Now its Bally's and Blockbuster video in that space. Remeber when Town & country mall was a tomato field?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Kelly's had like a Koi (big goldfish) pond at the entrance, right? or am I imagining that?

The food did rock, as far as I can remember... Did they serve like goldfish crackers in bowls?
Yes! that was Kelly's. That mall is so different now but NY NY still survives there and its still awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami