Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 102,918 times

Advertisements

Does anybody remember the name of the aquarium park located in Fort Lauderdale? I had only been there once @ 1979 and the name escapes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Oh, another one... In Westland & Dadeland Mall, Hickory Farms. It was shaped like a barn and there was a lady that would slice smoked cheese out front and hand it out. I'd get one from her and go to Barefoot Mailman, go back for another slice and then go to Spencer's, then go back for more!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Yeah, I have good memories of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Trivia question (I don't know the answer and really want to know):

The used to show 2 videos (at least I think it was 2) before the RHPS. One was Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Anyone remember what the other one was (if there was one? or was there more than 2? I seem to remember 2)?

On an unrelated note, does anyone remember the old Miami baseball stadium? Where exactly was that? I remember seeing the Boston Orioles doing spring training there, and I went to see Aerosmith/Journey play there sometime in the '80s. Anyone else have any memories there?
The 2nd video was "Love Stinks" by the J. Giels Band

Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM

El Cid - The restuarant that was a castle on LeJuene that had flamenco dinner shows.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I have not been around there since the summer, so I was surprised to see the Modernage store by the palmetto has been demolished. Only in Miami are there still developers dumb enough to demolish and build something that will eventually be empty as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That was Hotel Lindsey Hopkins. It was at the top of the way-cool 50's interior school headquarters. It was demolished in the 1980's. The Royal Castle was nearby, and closed shortly after. Another place I liked around there was the 50's style Biscayne Cafeteria. I can look in my 1980 phone book for the addresses.

YESSSS! Another place I miss very much, Biscayne Cafeteria on Miracle Mile. I think it closed in 2001 and I think it the same staff was working there at the time. My grandma would take me to Howard Johnson's in Coral Gables on US-1 for sherbert ice cream.

My stepmom would take me to KC Cagney's where Titanic by UM is now. They had giant dogs (or at least they looked that way at my age during the time.) Did anybody go bowling in the UM Convocation center and play video games there?

I had a big laugh at the post for U-Totem convienence stores

This blog is awesome! I think I could go on and on.

Last edited by joshuag995; 11-09-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuag995 View Post
YESSSS! Another place I miss very much, Biscayne Cafeteria on Miracle Mile. I think it closed in 2001 and I think it the same staff was working there at the time. My grandma would take me to Howard Johnson's in Coral Gables on US-1 for sherbert ice cream.

My stepmom would take me to KC Cagney's where Titanic by UM is now. They had giant dog (or at least they looked that way at my age during the time.) Did anybody go bowling in the UM Convocation center and play video games there?

I had a big laugh at the post for U-Totem convienence stores

This blog is awesome! I think I could go on and on.
The Biscayne cafeteria was nice in the 80's when I remembered it, never knew it lasted till 2001, what is there now? I used to bowl on Sunday at the Um lanes as they were the only smoke-free lanes in Miami. I know them well because two of the lanes are right here in my home along with some of the old seating and the ball returns. No pinsetters from there but I got two from Don Carter's when it closed.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The Biscayne cafeteria was nice in the 80's when I remembered it, never knew it lasted till 2001, what is there now? I used to bowl on Sunday at the Um lanes as they were the only smoke-free lanes in Miami. I know them well because two of the lanes are right here in my home along with some of the old seating and the ball returns. No pinsetters from there but I got two from Don Carter's when it closed.
Very COOL!!! The demise of Biscayne Cafetria tore a hole in my heart and my tummy. Its been reconstructed into a overpriced, contemporary furniture store named Kettal that will probably die inthis new economy.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM

261 posts, read 704,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuag995 View Post
I used to love Kelly's, the movie theater located in that mall and the bagel store there too. Now its Bally's and Blockbuster video in that space. Remeber when Town & country mall was a tomato field?
I remember a place in that mall called R&R donuts, and a wise-cracking lady named Sue behind that counter...that ring a bell?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 PM

WOW I just had a flashback to hickory farms! Remember the cheese samples, those were interesting. Dadeland was sure an interesting mall when I was a kid! Also remember the Victoria Station at the back of Dadeland made of train cars. Mom shopped at the Food Fair and GNC which was near the mall entrance and had those juice machines and real fruits and veggies back then. Then again I still cannot shake the images of Crown Liquors and the shooting that happened when I was at the dentist in Dadeland Medical Center. We would see the area when the parents did business at Flagship Bank(dadeland bank).

As for Biscayne cafeteria since there were two locations I did remember the Coral Gables one open till 2001. The much more interesting downtown location I lost track of. Probably was demolished like everything else I liked in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami