Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Go get informed. Do you have kids in public school? Just check out the extensive list of required vaccinations for students in my town. And last fall, Baker added influenza to the list. To single out Covid as somehow being exceptional to this norm, especially considering it's been proven to result in so much death and havoc, is irrational.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hxfEppK_I/edit
I never said schools did not require them for many years. I know they do. Most of the vaccines are safe except the covid ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It also takes us out of the current situation where we’re going to bankrupt all the hospitals because they have to pay $6k/week for traveling nurses after all their staff quits from treating all the idiots who aren’t vaccinated. The financials for the hospital holding companies who own the regional hospitals in red states is really ugly. CHS is on the ropes. That’s 84 hospitals that are almost all in low vaccination rate regions. Boston largely doesn’t have that problem because even the low income areas had big community outreach and have relatively high vaccination rates.

Again, it’s your civic duty to get vaccinated.
Yes, the idea that the decision not to do anything to prevent Covid-19 infection affects only that person is a fallacy. The decision impacts friends, family, community and coworkers who will catch it from you, it affects hospitals and hospital workers who have to deal with the oversized workload of treating Covid-19 patients and the stress, it affects patients who need treatment for other conditions and have to compete with a deluge of Covid-19 patients who basically opt into the diseased state, etc, etc, etc.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:18 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
It was never as wide scale as it is now. It's always been wrong. No inconsistency here. Now they are adding that requirement for entering businesses and purchasing items
You have made sweeping claims like this again and again without including one shred of evidence to support them. You have no idea what you're talking about and don't seem to care as long as the ridiculous things you say fall in line with some nutty narrative. Vaccine requirements for work and school have been the norm for a long, long, long time. All sorts of medical testing have been required depending on the job, in fact. My father, a Vietnam Vet who has been known to dabble in conservative conspiracies from time to time, is even rolling his eyes at this stuff. Back in 1970 when he enlisted, he was injected with shot after shot after shot. They didn't even tell him what they were injecting him with or watch to ensure there wasn't a reaction. Just shot, shot, shot, shot, etc. "next!" - that practice is still pretty standard today.

Most schools in MA require a minimum of DTP, Polio, MMR, Chicken Pox, HepB, and a lead test. My employer required records of most of those (not Chicken Pox or lead) upon hire and requires an annual flu shot which they offer on-site every year. A COVID-19 vaccine requirement is a perfectly reasonable addition to that list. In fact, I'd argue it's more important than the flu vaccine since COVID considering the combination of danger from the virus and vaccine efficacy.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:32 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
I never said schools did not require them for many years. I know they do. Most of the vaccines are safe except the covid ones.
Correction. They're all safe. And these are mandates, by government no less, which you seem to have no problem with. Heck even chickenpox is on the list, and it's seldom if ever fatal! There is a *lot* more rationale for Covid to be on this list.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Correction. They're all safe. And these are mandates, by government no less, which you seem to have no problem with. Heck even chickenpox is on the list, and it's seldom if ever fatal! There is a *lot* more rationale for Covid to be on this list.
Correction I am against all mandates let the parents decide for the kids.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You have made sweeping claims like this again and again without including one shred of evidence to support them.
Yes places of work did require them but MORE places are requiring them now. They have never pushed a vaccine like they do the covid ones now. It's 24 /7 on the tv vaccine vaccine vaccine. Get your shot get your shot!!!

Old 09-08-2021, 10:08 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Go get informed. Do you have kids in public school? Just check out the extensive list of required vaccinations for students in my town. And last fall, Baker added influenza to the list. To single out Covid as somehow being exceptional to this norm, especially considering it's been proven to result in so much death and havoc, is irrational.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hxfEppK_I/edit
That is another curious thing, and one can consider all the precedent for vaccine requirements, or more generally, the nature of being subject to any laws or regulations, since those opposed are always ranting about Nazis and totalitarian states, freedom and authoritarian rule. I don't have any kind of exact count, but between state, federal and city/town laws, I'd guess each of us is subject to thousands of laws, and if you include regulations, I'd guess it may be 10s of thousands of restrictions. These laws and regulations are set up by our elected representatives, and don't require the consent of each individual - indeed there would never be universal agreement on anything, and even majority agreement (a referendum on everything) would be completely impractical.

This is done in every country, and people can in principle arbitrarily choose any constraint and say you disagree and refuse to comply. Compliance though, isn't optional. You can't say "Yes but I like rape" or "Yes but I want to to have a shorefront outhouse on the lake" and expect to get away with it. And yet, the world keeps turning, and for the most part, people accept that indirect representation, laws and regulations are needed. Until Covid-19 that is. Beyond the obvious persistent disinformation campaigns that disorient people and give them false beliefs, what basis is there for the great groundswell of opposition to public health methods which can be used to tackle the pandemic? Why this? I have yet to see anything valid, just recapitulation of disinformation.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Correction I am against all mandates let the parents decide for the kids.
Well, point is that that ship has sailed a long time ago. Parents can opt for home schooling if they don't want to leave their kids unvaccinated, and endanger the rest of society. Same with the military, they've had these in place for decades. Being up in arms about a Covid vaccine, to the point of being willing to die from it (as many are), is totally counter to how US society has evolved in modern times.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:12 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
They have never pushed a vaccine like they do the covid ones now. It's 24 /7 on the tv vaccine vaccine vaccine. Get your shot get your shot!!!
Smallpox and Polio have a very similar history with regards to vaccines. MA was actually the first state to mandate a smallpox vaccine.

https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/art...-massachusetts

Here we are 116 years later doing the same stuff.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That is another curious thing, and one can consider all the precedent for vaccine requirements, or more generally, the nature of being subject to any laws or regulations, since those opposed are always ranting about Nazis and totalitarian states, freedom and authoritarian rule. I don't have any kind of exact count, but between state, federal and city/town laws, I'd guess each of us is subject to thousands of laws, and if you include regulations, I'd guess it may be 10s of thousands of restrictions. These laws and regulations are set up by our elected representatives, and don't require the consent of each individual - indeed there would never be universal agreement on anything, and even majority agreement (a referendum on everything) would be completely impractical.

This is done in every country, and people can in principle arbitrarily choose any constraint and say you disagree and refuse to comply. Compliance though, isn't optional. You can't say "Yes but I like rape" or "Yes but I want to to have an outhouse with a shorefront view on the lake" and expect to get away with it. And yet, the world keeps turning, and for the most part, people accept that indirect representation, laws and regulations are needed. Until Covid-19 that is. Beyond the obvious persistent disinformation campaigns that disorient people and give them false beliefs, what basis is there for the great groundswell of opposition to public health methods which can be used to tackle the pandemic? Why this? I have yet to see anything valid, just recapitulation of disinformation.
^This is exactly my point. Why Covid became a turning point for some folks, is totally inexplicable to me. Maybe historians will be more successful at figuring it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts