Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think he is referring to people in general who don't get vaccinated as riff raff. Doesn't matter what state they're from.
I think his words were clear...and clearly stupid.

Massachusetts has a low death rate right now. So do Ohio and North Dakota and South Dakota. The difference is we have humility with respect to the virus; we recognize that we're at the bottom of a cycle that might well go up again. We don't seriously think, against mountains of evidence to the contrary, that we're doing something special that people in other states aren't doing that is dictating the behavior of the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think he is referring to people in general who don't get vaccinated as riff raff. Doesn't matter what state they're from.

A poster seemed to single out people from other states as the "problem", as if we don't have riff raff, or unvaccinated people of our own. I can see where one might take offense to that. There is also plenty of vaccinated "riff raff" as well, just because somebody does the right thing doesn't mean they did it for the right reasons. Our job isn't to judge.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:06 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But are also typically vaccinated.
Funny thing is I know more age 60+ people from the other side of the country who aren't vaccinated than people who are. One of the many things they hate as much as vaccines are TSA and airline policies, so if they were to come this way, there'd be 1 lantern in the old church window.

The saving grace we have is we're in MA. They don't like stepping foot in blue states because they might get lib cooties.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I think his words were clear...and clearly stupid.

Massachusetts has a low death rate right now. So do Ohio and North Dakota and South Dakota. The difference is we have humility with respect to the virus; we recognize that we're at the bottom of a cycle that might well go up again. We don't seriously think, against mountains of evidence to the contrary, that we're doing something special that people in other states aren't doing that is dictating the behavior of the virus.

And it's unfortunate that one would take a few random comments from a forum like this, as representative of our great state. I'm sure there are examples of similar arrogance on those other state forums as well. But I think it's also safe to say that certain states out there like Florida and Lousiana, are NOT models to emulate.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:10 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yes. I could state this more harshly, but it's segregating the safe & healthy from the careless spreaders. The kind of segregation I like. And there's nothing prohibiting that in the law!
I Nazi germany you would be the type to put a bullet in a pregnant women's head. It won't stop with vaccine passports.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Funny thing is I know more age 60+ people from the other side of the country who aren't vaccinated than people who are. One of the many things they hate as much as vaccines are TSA and airline policies, so if they were to come this way, there'd be 1 lantern in the old church window.

The saving grace we have is we're in MA. They don't like stepping foot in blue states because they might get lib cooties.

Then people you know are an anomaly. Data shows that group as having the highest levels of vaccination.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yes. I could state this more harshly, but it's segregating the safe & healthy from the careless spreaders. The kind of segregation I like. And there's nothing prohibiting that in the law!
Too bad the vaccine does not stop the spread you are a collectivist authoritarian.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:13 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Geeze....getting a little heated in here today.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:14 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And it's unfortunate that one would take a few random comments from a forum like this, as representative of our great state. I'm sure there are examples of similar arrogance on those other state forums as well. But I think it's also safe to say that certain states out there like Florida and Lousiana, are NOT models to emulate.
Even more safe to say Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey are not models to emulate.

I've made this analogy before, so I apologize if you've heard it already. If you're a fan of an NFL team that goes 1-15, I am very open-minded when it comes to arguments that you're really a 5-11 team -- you had injuries, a couple really bad calls in high-leverage spots, an unfair schedule, whatever. I am very NOT open-minded if you try to argue you're actually a 15-1 team, and everyone should emulate you.

The actual 15-1 team is Vermont. And maybe (if you're not sick of this analogy yet), they're actually an 11-5 team that's had a lot of luck. But that's why I don't get into it with people from Vermont like I do with people from Massachusetts. You guys don't have the results to back up your attitude; they do.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Geeze....getting a little heated in here today.
That's what happens when the name calling starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts