Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 01:43 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
On a bright note for me personally, my child (in the 20-29 demographic) texted me their vaccine certificate yesterday. Very surprised (but pleasantly)--they do work for one of the larger hospital complexes in Boston, but are by no means considered front-line personnel!
Despite some bad PR, many MA hospitals are handling the phase 1 distribution fine and are already working towards immunizing lower risk staff. Effectively anyone who interfaces with clinical staff, which includes some admin positions in teaching hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 01:59 PM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
FWIW - for those playing at home....

My middle daughter with multiple food allergies, T1D, and Celiacs, is getting the vaccine Saturday (got a job at B&W-Boston). Wife spending the time three, iwaiting in case of anaphylactic reaction.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd be surprised if the general pop was being vaccinated in large numbers by June. I think the numbers will drop like they did last year late spring/early summer, but unless vaccinations speed up, and many people actually get them vs refuse, next fall will be like this fall.

I forsee 2021 being exactly like 2020.

See you in 2022. I'll host a BBQ. You're all invited.

We vaccinate half the country with flu vaccine every year. There is no mystery about how to vaccinate people. This is a manufacturing scaling issue. The two mRNA vaccines are rationed. As more vaccines are approved and the supply scales up, the problem goes away.

I'm still incredulous that Trump was offered a bunch of Pfizer vaccine beyond the 100 million doses (50 million citizens) in early December and turned it down.

Old 01-07-2021, 04:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
The new interactive dashboard is hot garbage via ios. The functionality is great from a traditional computer, but if less people can easily access the data it’s an L.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We vaccinate half the country with flu vaccine every year. There is no mystery about how to vaccinate people. This is a manufacturing scaling issue.
There is no shortage of the vaccine right now because of how slow the distribution is going. I've mentioned how far NY is willing to go on threatening prosecution over vaccinating people not in the tier despite hospitals having plenty available.

Also the Feds did buy another 100M doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Edit: So far MA has vaccinated 148k, 50k in the last 7 days. The Feds have given them 320k. So they are sitting on 172k doses. Obviously there's no need to ship more if they aren't going to use it.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

Edit: So far MA has vaccinated 148k, 50k in the last 7 days. The Feds have given them 320k. So they are sitting on 172k doses. Obviously there's no need to ship more if they aren't going to use it.
I suspect that number will drop quite a bit when 'first responders' begin immunizations at scale. There's plenty scheduled, but not yet implemented.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I suspect that number will drop quite a bit when 'first responders' begin immunizations at scale. There's plenty scheduled, but not yet implemented.
Anecdotal but a large northeast corridor hospital where my fiancée has staff has drafted everyone with a license to do 5 4-hour days of vaccinations in Q1. Flu vaccination is a very distributed process. Every pharmacy and physician’s office does flu vaccinations. Because the COVID vaccines are rationed, the number of physical locations doing vaccinations is very limited and it causes a scaling problem. Once every pharmacy and doctor’s office has the vaccine, the scaling problem goes away.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Anecdotal but a large northeast corridor hospital where my fiancée has staff has drafted everyone with a license to do 5 4-hour days of vaccinations in Q1. Flu vaccination is a very distributed process. Every pharmacy and physician’s office does flu vaccinations. Because the COVID vaccines are rationed, the number of physical locations doing vaccinations is very limited and it causes a scaling problem. Once every pharmacy and doctor’s office has the vaccine, the scaling problem goes away.
This has been my anecdotal experience as well. Institutions with existing vaccine protocols and infrastructure are distributing the available vaccines to staff with limited issues (MGH perhaps not quite so smoothly as other regionals).

The state apparently left distribution up to local FD/PDs (according to an FF in my town) which, unlike a large regional hospitals, don't have the qualified staff or existing infrastructure. I think this has, rather unsurprisingly, caused a bit of a scramble and A LOT of confusion as these departments try to navigate the logistics.

Hopefully ... hopefully, things can be learned from this and phase 2 and phase 3 rollouts can be much smoother. Like you, I believe when smaller county and town healthcare facilities began to inventory the vaccines most or all of the existing problems go away. Then you're back to basic qualification and gating; i.e., your grandma is gated ahead of you.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:19 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
There is no shortage of the vaccine right now because of how slow the distribution is going. I've mentioned how far NY is willing to go on threatening prosecution over vaccinating people not in the tier despite hospitals having plenty available.

Also the Feds did buy another 100M doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

I guess we're lucky only 320k people live here.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:42 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I guess we're lucky only 320k people live here.
That's what I mean. The Feds could send them millions but there isn't any point if they aren't going to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts