Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Why is Massachusetts relaxing restaurant restrictions (bar seating, groups of 10 seated) just when cases are increasing?

Money makes the world go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 07:17 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think it's a very difficult situation. Business restrictions reduce mortality and morbidity, but they also can add costs and strangle revenues. Unemployment is still very high and in travel and hospitality, the impacts have been particularly high. Trillions of dollars in support money for those affected are being spent.

Wherever possible, I think they need to keep businesses operating, but emphasize mask wearing first, and then social distancing second. You can still make money if your customers and employees are wearing masks, but many businesses are ruined if they can't even come in the building.
That's the issue with indoor dining, isn't it. Masks have to come off, and you're in a confined space, and definitely getting exposed for more than the recommended max 15 min time.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
That's the issue with indoor dining, isn't it. Masks have to come off, and you're in a confined space, and definitely getting exposed for more than the recommended max 15 min time.
Maybe we can sustain taxes supporting the bar and restaurant industry for a year or two, I don't know. I don't blame the employees or (former) business owners for being upset though. It's easy to say "suck it up" when your own position is unaffected. I am fine, working in R&D IT for biotechnology, but I feel for the many who are not fine these days, and I am not unconcerned about the rapidly mounting debt. And I am an independent, but usually vote democrat.

I am not saying we should ignore the virus like some conservatives mind you, but some liberals seem blithe to ignore the financial damage.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Maybe we can sustain taxes supporting the bar and restaurant industry for a year or two, I don't know. I don't blame the employees or (former) business owners for being upset though. It's easy to say "suck it up" when your own position is unaffected. I am fine, working in R&D IT for biotechnology, but I feel for the many who are not fine these days, and I am not unconcerned about the rapidly mounting debt. And I am an independent, but usually vote democrat.

I am not saying we should ignore the virus like some conservatives mind you, but some liberals seem blithe to ignore the financial damage.
You know there's a solution out there, right...that doesn't take a year or two? True experts agree that an 8-12 week national lockdown (not a half-assed one like in March/April) will bend the caseload curve downward to a manageable baseline. CDC's Robert Redfield recently affirmed this in his recent testimony under oath. So no, it does not have to be a year...heck it didn't have to be 6 months, had we followed this back in March/April.

So it's not like liberals don't care about the financial damage. It's that we as a nation totally lack the political will to do what's needed. No amount of stimulus money is going to be available to sustain the restaurant/bar industry for another year or two...no matter how the election turns on Nov 3.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Why is Massachusetts relaxing restaurant restrictions (bar seating, groups of 10 seated) just when cases are increasing?
Food-required bar seating with 6’ separation between groups is a way to spread the people out. I don’t plan to do indoor dining but if someone wants to Darwin Award at a restaurant, I see no difference between 6’ separation at a table and 6’ of separation at a bar. Yank liquor licenses and issue big fines for anyone who violates that guideline.

Some older bars from the cigarette era have really good ventilation. It’s probably safer to eat at one of those bars than most restaurants.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:08 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
From what the Boston foundation argued is the huge drop in unemployment in mass was people that left the job market, the participation rate declined.

My cousins husband might have to close one of his two restaurants. Newton might be affluent but it doesn't always translate well to shopping local. Same with Arlington.

The other increase will be the employer paid unemployment.

https://www.masslive.com/business/20...ent-taxes.html

Old 09-28-2020, 12:00 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
If indoor dining has been open since June and we have not seen any spikes as a result, why would it be an issue now?

As other posters have already stated: I don't understand the difference between customers sitting 6 feet away from one another in a bar vs. a restaurant. I also don't see how other indoor venues can allow 10 people to congregate, but restaurants can't. I went axe throwing this weekend and there was a group of 10 family members a few lanes down from us. Seems unfair for restaurants have to adhere to restrictions that other indoor venues don't.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:09 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Food-required bar seating with 6’ separation between groups is a way to spread the people out. I don’t plan to do indoor dining but if someone wants to Darwin Award at a restaurant, I see no difference between 6’ separation at a table and 6’ of separation at a bar. Yank liquor licenses and issue big fines for anyone who violates that guideline.

Some older bars from the cigarette era have really good ventilation. It’s probably safer to eat at one of those bars than most restaurants.
So eating at a restaurant qualifies for a "Darwin Award"? I'm curious how risky you think eating at a restaurant is.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
If indoor dining has been open since June and we have not seen any spikes as a result, why would it be an issue now?

As other posters have already stated: I don't understand the difference between customers sitting 6 feet away from one another in a bar vs. a restaurant. I also don't see how other indoor venues can allow 10 people to congregate, but restaurants can't. I went axe throwing this weekend and there was a group of 10 family members a few lanes down from us. Seems unfair for restaurants have to adhere to restrictions that other indoor venues don't.
I see your point here but as cases rise dining out is only going to increase the spread.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:57 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

I can see that bars and restaurants pose higher risks than other indoor business, as you can't eat or drink with a mask on, and the few restaurants I've been to just say you can take it off at the table. Bars I can see being worse yet than restaurants, because if it's crowded, you can have people standing shoulder to shoulder, indoors, with no mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts