Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 11:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's not a death sentence, but not taking responsibility from easy things you must do to relieve the pressure on the medical system is wildly irresponsible. The person you may get sick likely won't die, but there's a chance they will need to get tested. Now that's one less test available. If they are one of the 20% of known cases who are admitted to the hospital, they are taking up a bed and putting doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. at risk when it was needless if people acted like an adult, cut up an old tshirt, and made their own damn mask to prevent their droplets from infecting others.
Again I'm not saying people shouldn't take precautions, but the "wildly irresponsible" and "acted like an adult" perhaps sums up my concern best here.

Before this virus, people did immature and wildly irresponsible things daily that others would see, perhaps shake their head at or quietly judge, and move on. Maybe really egregious cases got talked about at dinner, vented to a friend, or brought up on a UHub or similar, and only the worst of the worst went beyond that.

Now we start FB pages, endless forums, and other public things to ... what, get angry at, shame and out people for not wearing a mask? The crime of coughing while outside? Make others feel as bad as they do?

What effect is expected from all of this anger and anxiety directed at each other? Telling an American not to do X has been proven time and again a way to ensure they continue doing X, so this isn't an effective strategy to increase participation in precautionary activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I got angry too at seeing people shame others who were healthy and hadn’t tested positive

I’m shaming someone who did test positive and still was going out in public.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There is no issue with a person standing on their deck or backyard even if having COVID. Yes, I read what someone said about the wind blowing. Not an issue. Misinformation. Talk about only caring about themselves...
I'm not sure you're right about that, it's been found that the virus can travel 26 feet, one source I read said that it travels about as far as cigarette smoke and can linger for a long time. Here's an article about it

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...hs/5086553002/

Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This is the new virtue signaling.

I got attitude today at the dealership to get my car fixed because I didn't have a mask or gloves on.. err sorry I don't know where the stash of these things is but I don't have them and it is far too late now. Don't "judge" me for not having them unless you just handed me gloves and a mask.
PS. there is now way to stop this anyway. Just slow the spread.
You're calling that "virtue signaling"?

Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure you're right about that, it's been found that the virus can travel 26 feet, one source I read said that it travels about as far as cigarette smoke and can linger for a long time. Here's an article about it
Yes, I've read it and seen the graphs. The "cigarette smoke" designation refers to aerosolized particles, not droplets. The viral load involved is drastically less with distance and aerosolized, especially outside in wind. More of an issue indoors in closer quarters, I think. It's like technically the virus is present on surfaces for so much time per surface but degrades with each passing bit of time, and isn't the as high as direct person-to-person resp. contact is.

I didn't want people to be getting out their pitchforks for neighbors or people known to be positive sitting on their balcony or deck and being attacked. It came close where I live.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Brightdoglover just likes to disagree with me.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I think everyone needs a deep breath

Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I touched upon that when I posted this link about the 1918 pandemic.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...c-coronavirus/

The article talks about just that. Some cities experienced a 2nd wave when they relaxed restrictions too quickly, and some cities only received the single initial wave, and then a low level number of cases throughout the 24 month pandemic.

So, it's optimistic to hope that as we move into May and even perhaps into June that restrictions could be easing, but it's too early to say the entire pandemic is over.

The '18, '57 and '68 pandemic all lasted 18-24 months. This is month 2 or 3 for us. (depending on when you believe the first cases arrived here)

Our best hope is to dramatically ramp up tracing and testing, both active virus and antibodies. The Partners in Health contact tracing model is a great step for our state and I hope all states develop their own robust systems because it will be useless if it's not extensive. It's telling that they anticipate 1000+ tracers starting by the end of this month (AFTER our peak) for an undisclosed amount of time. Larger states would need greater numbers of people to do this work.

I also foresee long term mask wearing, temperature checks at work/stores/travel, more willingness to allow work from home either full time or staggered part time to reduce density in workplaces, and limited large gatherings. Restaurants may reopen, but with social distancing regulations (i.e. no more standing room only bars or crowded restaurants for awhile). Museums, malls, etc all will have temp checks and require masks.

If we get this under control by early June, testing supplies can be ramped up and stockpiled so we're not always behind the curve as we are now. Same with serology tests.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:02 PM

On another note I have friends at toast and ezcaterer who were laid off today toast grew sooo much the past year. Apparently they’re letting go of 50% of their team. I hate you coronavirus.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
A builder was standing in the next lot to mine the other day and we chatted about the house that will be built. Kept about 8 feet between us. I assumed he was infectious as I do anyone. No need to back him off because of the fence. I don't know if he assumed I was infectious but he should assume it. The builders on the other side (and these lots are very small, 7700 sq.ft) seem to be keeping distance from each other. We wave and greet each other from (relative) afar.

I am not sure I feel much reassured by temperature checks, although it's better than nothing. The spread of virus by people without symptoms is pretty significant apparently. If someone has a fever, they might well not be well enough to be out and about, so testing and masks and distancing, yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts