Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 09:43 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Where is the evidence of masks cutting the transmission rate in any serious way? Everything I have read said it is negligible. Like 2% reduction. That is why the CDC originally said not to do it. I am seriously just asking.
It depends on the mask really. Some will be better than others. For the most part, the bit spit globs will be caught, but smaller particles may get through my normal speaking or breathing. Some materials are better than others at capturing the smaller stuff.

As to how infectious those little particles that get through are, i'll leave up to those with experience in infectious diseases. I'm more of a filter expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 09:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You wear a mask in public places largely to protect everyone else. If we all do it, it really cuts the transmission rate. It doesn't need to be an N95 mask. A cotton dish towel is enough to trap the virus when you exhale. Personally, I don't understand why stores aren't insisting on it since it protects their employees.
I believe in salem mass or lynn they are requiring some type of mask.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:04 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It depends on the mask really. Some will be better than others. For the most part, the bit spit globs will be caught, but smaller particles may get through my normal speaking or breathing. Some materials are better than others at capturing the smaller stuff.

As to how infectious those little particles that get through are, i'll leave up to those with experience in infectious diseases. I'm more of a filter expert.
Mask type, but also largely usage.

Every so often, I have to enter ORs, cath labs, etc. for product/workflow research (med device dev) and, as result, have gone through proper PPE procedure despite never touching patient (live ones anyway). Almost no one outside of healthcare or high risk industrial properly manages their masks and gloves. I see people out and about with their masks pulled down on their neck, on their head, etc. That's not how it works.

A friend is unfortunately going through chemo right now, so I gave her the last few n95 masks I had in my tool box. I gave her the run down and, as result, it meant she had the mask on from door to door of her home. This is the correct way, assuming intra trip you do not have a safe opportunity to remove the mask (i.e., a sterile area to wash hands before and after mask removal).

If you're pulling your mask on and off all day, you might as well pitch it in the trash (edit: in regards to your own health; still good at lowering spread to others).

Old 04-15-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Follow the money:

-DeSantis is a wanna be Trump

- Linda McMahon is a big time Trump financial supporter who was head on the SBA and is now the head of a Trump SuperPac

- She and her husband own WWE which has lost close to 60% of it's value in the past year

- The XFL - owned by the McMahons and the WWE - just filed for bankruptcy

- WWE was close to breaching it's contract with Fox Sports and would not be paid unless something was produced

- DeSantis steps in an proclaims professional sports "essential"

I wonder if any of the entertainers self quarantined for the two weeks suggested by Florida???
Ya I heard trump played a part in it. In china the recomended quarentine now is 28 days. In rare cases they found that the incubation period can be almost a month. I heard if the wrestlers do not feel safe they do not have to participate and will still get paid. One wrestler just came off chemo and his immune system is compromised .

I know the UFC was thinking about having fights but everyone would have to be quarenteened on a Island. There was talk about sports in las vegas . they are not having as many cases probably do to the weather there is not good for the virus. they shut down the UFC idea.

This is all terrible and I do not see this virus going away anytime soon but at the same time are we going to shut everything down for 2 years?

I was listening to a podcast by MR Metakour that knew this was coming in early january. he was accurate how 14 day quarentenes was not enough. I won't link the podcasts because it has very foul language but can be found online. he has to delete his podcast right after a live stream so he will not get banned. He knew so much about the virus that even people do not know about it today because he was following what was happening in china. This virus does permenant lung damage so even if your young you do not want to get this virus. It can also make men sterile.

one podcast was called "peak a wu I sneeze on you". Someone else re uploads his podcasts. so they can still be found.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-15-2020 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 10:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
- DeSantis steps in an proclaims professional sports "essential"

Since when is pro wrestling a sport? It's carefully choreographed entertainment. Personally, I prefer Cirque du Soleil but whatever floats your boat.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Since when is pro wrestling a sport? It's carefully choreographed entertainment. Personally, I prefer Cirque du Soleil but whatever floats your boat.
Pro wrestling is like a soap opera. can golf be considered a sport?

Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Pro wrestling is like a soap opera. can golf be considered a sport?

The way I play, it's a good way to lose golf balls.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Although Gov. Newsom advised construction activities as non-essential, SoFi Stadium construction is moving right along.

Again - follow the money.
There’s no money if you can’t buy tickets to shows and games. Or people might decide it’s not worth the risk.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Although Gov. Newsom advised construction activities as non-essential, SoFi Stadium construction is moving right along.
Again - follow the money.
I guess you missed this:

Quote:
April 2,2020 OAKLAND —
Gov. Gavin Newsom affirmed Thursday that California will not follow the lead of states like New York or regions like the Bay Area that have banned most construction projects during the Covid-19 pandemic, saying he is satisfied the state has “strict workforce efforts” in place to protect its army of construction workers.

“We’re not New York ... and we’re going to do everything we can to bend our curve,’’ Newsom said during his daily briefing. The governor argued that there are "very different conditions in the state of California'' than in other states and cities, including Boston, that have shut down construction. And he said that in California, "we've been working very closely with the building construction trades" to ensure safety for the public.
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...uction-1270968

Old 04-15-2020, 11:29 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
For others, the house of reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts