Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 03:34 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This is how liberals are. If you don't agree with them -- if you have learned time and time again how numbers can be manipulated, if you see the crass bias of mainstream media, then you will be called stupid.

I am one of the smartest people alive. Accordingly, I will not listen to anything a mainstream media outlet says.
I actually respect you. Unless you tell me that you listen to Fox News...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
That's the struggle. Something has to give. We can't do everything--work long hours to keep our struggling companies afloat, spend hours a day focused on remote learning, cook every meal...not to mention all the extra cleaning that is a result of having us all home all the time. We're all trying our best, but it's just not possible.
Yeah I wouldn’t judge anyone at all who did this. I may do it myself.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:04 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I know you’re aware of this, so I post this as a reminder for other posters/readers.

Self isolation is really focused on reducing the hospitalization rate. Deaths are inevitable, particularly in high risk populations, but what policy makers are looking to avoid is a scenario where lower risk 50 to 60 somethings begin to inundate the ED (ER) spreading resources thin. So far, we’ve more or less avoided this (I.e., all patients have been receiving adequate critical care).
Sure. But if you look at the April 20 Dashboard https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download ,towards the bottom, you will see available hospital beds. With a little effort one can calculate the percentage of available ICU beds in each zone. Every zone has between 60% and 70% ICU beds empty. And it is likely that a large percentage of the occupied ICU beds are occupied by non covid related emergencies. April 20th is close to the peak. So it would seem to me that if MA is using a small percentage of its ICU beds for Covid patient’s during this peak, then MA could greatly lift restrictions in the near future for those not in high risk groups (70+, etc) without risking a surge that would overwhelm hospitals.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
IMHO Pew sets the standard. Makes sense too, as they use it for research on cohorts.

A good way to look at it:
Boomers remember Kennedy's assassination, although some weren't even born yet.
Gen X remembers the Challenger
Millenials remember 9/11
Youngest? Today? I don't know yet.

Pew goes with 46-65, 66-80, 81-96, 96-?. When Pew put out a press release closing Millenials at 96, they arbitrarily used 2012 to end the next generation to make it the same duration as Gen X and Millenials.

Ya that is a good way to divide it up by a major event.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:14 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
It's a very real struggle. My husband and I are both working long hours right now and the remote learning is realistically taking about 3 hours per day. We are a very structured family and my kids (in second grade and kindergarten) can focus for those 3 hours, but they aren't old enough to do the work independently.

We are now using the babysitter we've had for the past two years as our tutor. She's an early education major and my kids love her and she's the ONLY reason we can get all of our remote learning done. She comes every day for 2 hours to do the hands-on work. I can handle the zoom meetings and Lexia or Reflex work with them since they can do that independently.

Most of my friends who work and have spouses who work had to break down and get help. I know a couple of moms who were trying to do it on their own, but after yesterday's announcement they've decided they can't do this for another 8 weeks and are getting some help. It really is nearly impossible to do this as a working parent, especially when you have multiple kids who have different needs.
I’m impressed if you can get any work done while watching two kids that age. Mine are 4 and 6 and need constant attention. The 6 year old less, but she needs guidance through homeschooling or it doesn’t go anywhere. The only thing we can do is stagger our working schedules so someone is always free to watch the kids. We are barely getting by.

I’m worried that with daycares closed until at least June 29th if they start opening non-essential businesses we won’t be able to keep this up. I realistically need to be in my lab, but the only way I can work 8 hours and watch kids for 8 hours is that I don’t also have to drop two hours commuting to work.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:19 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I actually respect you. Unless you tell me that you listen to Fox News...?
Everyone should at least pay attention to Fox News. I’d be weary of making it my primary source, but you really do get a better understanding seeing things from different perspectives, even if those sources are distorted or unreliable.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:26 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Everyone should at least pay attention to Fox News. I’d be weary of making it my primary source, but you really do get a better understanding seeing things from different perspectives, even if those sources are distorted or unreliable.
I think the point was that she claimed to not watch any mainstream media (and treat them all equally). Fox News certainly is one of those, despite it having a different angle than the other major networks. It would be hypocritical to swear off all "mainstream media" while giving Fox News a free pass (or vice versa), and i know there are some who do this.

But as for what you are saying, nobody should rely on ANY of the cable news sources (whether be Fox, CNN, MSNBC...) as no matter which slant they carry none of them provide anything substantial. CNN is probably the worst as far as integrity, but they are all bad. As far as what's available on TV, your best bet is honestly C-SPAN if you have a desire to actually know what is going on.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-22-2020 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, and other historic demagogues preyed on angry, confused and naive constituents to cement power and institute police states. The way so many of our fellow Americans are replacing logic, rational thinking, and respect for scholarly thought with conspiracies, half-truths, quick solutions, and occasional outright hatred during this pandemic is very scary. I sincerely hope we never drift down that path.
The reason why Nazi Germany happened was because people looked the other way. If you where around during that time you would think that Hiltler was just resetteling the jews he meant no harm to them. Hey to think hitler would kill jews that is a conspiracy theory. He took peoples rights away slowly that they did not notice or care versus taking all their rights away at once. This comes down to the boiling of the frog anaology. No I dont think the united states is as a bad as nazi germany but when people have too much power that power is abused. If you put a frog in boiling water it jumps out right away. If you put the same frog in cold water and raise the tempature slowly the frog does not notice its being boiled alive.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutley." Lord Acton

The goverment will use fear to take away rights also. For instance with this virus we must shut down buisness because people will get sick. Well people always got sick and will get sick.

The goverment is not good at keeping people safe.

The reason why people can not understand why we can't suspend rights like the right to assemble for sickness is that they can not see if it can be taken away at one time it can be taken away anytime. So it comes down to which is more important the right to assemble or preventing people from getting sick if they assemble?

Old 04-22-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That case was both irrelevant to what we were discussing, while at the same time kind of disproving your point (assuming there even was one).

Exactly. Everything posted here is subject to scrutiny. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. You still haven't explained what rights are being suspended. People have a right to free speech, movement, etc. as long as they are in compliance with preventative measures. It's just as vital to understand what AREN'T your rights as the same time as what ARE. For one, you do NOT have the right to put another's health in danger. People too easy forget that with freedom comes responsibility.

No Mass. is NOT locked down nor is any state, PLEASE. You have no idea what that means, please stop spreading such nonsense. In a worldwide pandemic such as this, of COURSE every sane jurisdiction is going to take measures to protect its citizens!

And that is absolutely NOT the point myself and another poster brought up about spreading to less affected rural areas. An area like mine would KILL to get that kind of business and spur in economic activity. What we don't want, is to roll out the carpet for people from areas with high rates of infection to now spread the virus up here where it had previously been contained. There seems to be an overall problem here with reading comprehension.

I agree that closing the gun shops is pushing the limits, that is ONE thing we can probably agree on.

you assumed i did not understand that you did not want people from high populated areas with a high amount of cases coming into your rural area spreading the virus I understood that fully.

I told you that govenors can not even LIMIT the amount of people at a religous ceremony. This falls into the first amendment for freedom of religion and the right to assemble. The govenors have made a ton of voilations to the bill of rights. if anyone was has a problem with reading comprehension its you with your thick head. the moderators will not do anything about your insults i have reported you so i will not hold back at throwing punches at you.

you will say but people are endangering others health. If the person does not know he or she has a virus then its not knowingly endangering lives. If the person knows they have corona virus then yes they are knowingly endangering others. Those people are willing to take the risk of getting sick by going to church and its their god given right. It is up to the church not the govement to have common sense at taking precautions. They are micromanaging with govermental powers and to me it feels like we are already in a police state when the national guard goes door to door of houses for a virus that has not even killed the same amount as the common flu. they should of selectively quarentened people instead of this broad lets assume everyone has the virus . even though scientifically anyone could have it the bill of rights is more important to preserve.

OK we will call it a shutdown if you like a shutdown of buisness .

In Michigan you can not buy seeds for a garden or gardening tools why? Some think they dont want people to be self sufficeint by growing their own food that they want people to rely on the goverment. Even if that is not the case why no garden seeds? talk about micromanaging goverment.

The government is horrible at keeping people safe.

This video explains if the person knows they have the virus then they are responsible for endandgering others if the person has no knowledge of them having the virus then they can not be found at fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKs3E4w4Uw

So what govenor Cuomo is doing is giving suggestions in the disguise of orders. There will be no prosecution for not following his suggestions. His suggestions are unconstitutional but are only suggestions not orders as the video explains.

try to put politics aside on this one this is a Judge who knows the laws. There is a gun shop refusing to shut down buisness in massechusetts and they are not doing anything about it because all this is just suggestions disguised as orders.

As mentioned in the video I will give a link why govenors can not shut down buisness because a state can not interfere with CONTRACTS. So NO a state has no legal authority to shut down any buisness because its a violation of the contract a buisness has.. So that means they can not shut down bars or restaurants.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...on-10/clause-1 Clause 1. No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

It is written there no law impairing the obligation of contracts.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-22-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 07:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
The 221 new deaths bring the state’s COVID-19 death toll to 2,182, the state Department of Public Health announced Wednesday. The 221 deaths is a one-day high for the Bay State, eclipsing Friday’s count of 159 deaths.

The state now has 42,944 confirmed cases of the highly contagious disease, an increase of 1,745 cases since Tuesday.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/04...-one-day-high/

And let's add:
Of the state’s 2,182 total coronavirus deaths, 1,205 deaths are connected to long-term care facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts