Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's been a royal pain. For the second week, my entire family has been home for a week due to an exposure. Subs are in short suppy, and it ends up being a stressful nightmare.

Summer can't come soon enough. My wife has commented that it's been her most stressful year of teaching yet.
My household went through this all of December. Multiple daycare exposures staggered every 7-10 days culminating into a 2 week closure over the holiday break. Productivity has never been lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 09:32 AM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My first grader loves being in the classroom. He doesn't particularly like doing work with us at home is the issue.

Also online programs weren't just created for additional income, they were also created to give people who normally couldn't attend an in person program the opportunity to do so. Someone in India can take online courses through MIT on the EdX platform for example. Same for a single mother living in Texas. I'm not saying it's the same experience as in person but it's better than nothing.

It's also a lot different than online kindergarten. Online is certainly not ideal for elementary school and middle school. I really can't speak to high school....but I think some high schoolers would be fine with online learning.
I agree... I mean, there are multiple drivers. It is more profitable for schools because they use fewer resources to deliver the class when its virtual. But for a student who is trying to better themselves while working or taking care of children, it can make that feasible where it otherwise isn't.

All that said, I do think that teachers can be more effective with the students right in front of them, and that's true for students of any age, but is increasingly important - the younger the students are. Plus, for parents who need to work outside the home, in-class learning gives the kids a safe, productive place to be while the parent(s) are at work.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:38 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Summer can't come soon enough.
I can't agree enough. I'm trying to nail down camps for the summer. Have the summer vacation booked (just driving and renting a house again, but I don't care). I can't wait for playing outdoors, full-time camp, and a vacation to enjoy!

This winter IS ROUGH and I have less to complain about than most!

Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 PM

This is pretty impressive, and not in a good way... "Texas trauma surgeon says ‘post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwg4zxQbGFE

Old 01-14-2021, 05:39 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This is pretty impressive, and not in a good way... "Texas trauma surgeon says ‘post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwg4zxQbGFE
I wish all the deniers who talk (erroneously) about a "flu with 99.9% survival rate" could see this.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:29 AM

A good discussion - Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are increasing their vaccine production, but caution that biologics production is complex and tricky - even if the last batch went fine, the next batch could have big problems... and while currently there is more demand than available supply, within 2-3 months, the limiting factor may be public reluctance.

"Companies scramble to expand coronavirus vaccine supply"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...accine-supply/

Old 01-15-2021, 07:15 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I wish all the deniers who talk (erroneously) about a "flu with 99.9% survival rate" could see this.
They can see it. They choose not to.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:44 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm not sure I find news helpful? People know covid exists and that it can be very bad...however a LOT of people have had this and I'm sure it's scary for them to learn they might always have awful lungs. Key word might. If someone has NO symptoms or only loses their sense of smell (which has been the case for many) I don't think this is what their lungs are going to look like.

It almost feels like people are trying to use this video as a way to scare and/or shame people?

Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
It almost feels like people are trying to use this video as a way to scare and/or shame people?

Not shame, educate. There are still many people that think that you only get a sniffle and recover 100% and just a small segment of old, crippled people who were one foot in the grave anyway get sick and die. I know quite a few actually that feel this way.

I mean, my family is a perfect example. My MIL has had covid twice, with an ICU stay for the first occurrence. She's had ongoing medical issues since. Her (ex) husband things this is just a cold that 99.99% of people recover from and refuses to wear a mask, and thinks it's all a democrat-initiated conspiracy to make people dependant on the gov't. He literally has evidence under his nose and refuses to see it.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I find news helpful? People know covid exists and that it can be very bad...however a LOT of people have had this and I'm sure it's scary for them to learn they might always have awful lungs. Key word might. If someone has NO symptoms or only loses their sense of smell (which has been the case for many) I don't think this is what their lungs are going to look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

My irony meter pegged again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts